Tang Dead, Microscope Autopsy. Help ID.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so my qt isn't 10' away from my display it's 9.5' away. Would this make a difference? Ik it should be 10'.
That recommendation was based on a study that used very strong fans outdoors to transfer marine velvet via aerosol transmission 10 feet.

Here’s why my opinion says 9.5ft is ok.

1. You most certainly don’t have massive fans to deliberately blow aerosol droplets between tanks.

2. you run copper which means all free swimmers are dead (those are what can get transferred.

3. 9.5ft isn’t even that far off from 10. We had a disease expert try to attempt that study and he was only able to transfer parasites via aerosol droplets 6ft apart.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That recommendation was based on a study that used very strong fans outdoors to transfer marine velvet via aerosol transmission 10 feet.

Here’s why my opinion says 9.5ft is ok.

1. You most certainly don’t have massive fans to deliberately blow aerosol droplets between tanks.

2. you run copper which means all free swimmers are dead (those are what can get transferred.

3. 9.5ft isn’t even that far off from 10. We had a disease expert try to attempt that study and he was only able to transfer parasites via aerosol droplets 6ft apart.
Ok, thanks for that. Ik you said don't worry about nitrates but my qt has 65ppm of nitrates atm. Wondering when I should do a 50% water change and when I should be concerned.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for that. Ik you said don't worry about nitrates but my qt has 65ppm of nitrates atm. Wondering when I should do a 50% water change and when I should be concerned.
65ppm nitrates won’t hurt. It’s most certainly not 65ppm. Most likely a testing error from nitrites.

You may do water changes at any time.

@brandon429 When do nitrates become a problem in QT?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard them to be of concern, I don’t recall reading meds that have issues with nitrate nor fish health issues

manage free ammonia instead

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is quite dark and only 1m into test.
Don’t worry. Nitrites aren’t toxic unless extremely high. If you have nitrites it means your nitrate test kit is having false readings.

Just worry about ammonia. I don’t even own a nitrite test kit and I don’t check nitrates in QT.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry. Nitrites aren’t toxic unless extremely high. If you have nitrites it means your nitrate test kit is having false readings.

Just worry about ammonia. I don’t even own a nitrite test kit and I don’t check nitrates.
Ok yeah my ammonia is 0, based on the ammonia badge.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all.

Not at all.
Well, update on the fish... They all look fine. The clown were actually doing the mating twitches. The goby does yawn a bit. And the clowns' jerks seem to be minimal at this point. Even though my qt water is at 1.019 the pH is 8.0 - 8.1 my water change water is ready when needed and pre dosed with copper. My wc water is at 1.020 because I want to keep it towards 1.020.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However...
16310306535327750004786646846911.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just broke one of my 2 Hanna checker vials... The threads cracked :(
It’s expensive, but if you can’t find another source then it will have to do. Hanna Instruments Glass Cuvettes and Caps for Checker HC Colorimeters (Set of 2)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back