OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like colorful old schools corals , like strawberry short cake, ORA red planet, and GARF Bonsai. these are colorful and easier to keep compared to other acroporas.
Setosa Montipora one of the coolest monties ever.

The old school corals are colorful under a broad range of lighting, where some of the newer corals only look good under blue lighting and look drab under anything else.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much @chascornell

Everything is still doing well, and saturated kalkwater is slowly making its way into my tank. Lets see how things go!

I'm always considering a co2 scrubber as well.. Reason being the most reliable review from a friend I could get. He always had larger colonies, and he had to take down his co2 scrubber because growth became obnoxious -- things were growing too fast to keep up with. When you've got a 1sq foot colony yeah, that could be an issue. When you have an expensive thumb-nail sized frag, that sounds like a great idea!

I try not to mess with too much, and maybe kalk alone would be better.. BUT.. Just may be worth a shot in this case.

I also may add a emerald crab.. I heavily feed my tank anyways, so it might be fine but I hate crabs, never trusted them :(

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now caught up. Great build thread man. A few things:

1) I've noticed you have a decent amount of bubble algae. Do you ever see any negative drawbacks with your acros? Have you considered any removal methods?
2) Those two Mr. V pieces you picked up recently... I'm going to need some frags!!

I'm eventually going to setup a lowboy frag tank in the next 6-12mo. I may come to you for tips and suggestions :D

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't have bubble algae for years, then poof, one frag plug introduced bryopsis and bubble algae.. sucks.

I tried manual removal which helped for sure, but won't kill it.

Then I tried fluconazole and that gave me dinos.. which killed 11 pieces of SPS, a few of which were ultra collector pieces in the $500+ range for a 1/2" nub.

After that the only thing I'm willing to try will be an emerald crab, or a short term fox face.

The dinos took a toll on all my sps. They're slowly recovering and their colors are still very dull. It's a shame, before the dinos I had no problems except some Bubble Algae. Which my acros were out growing anyways!

My alk consumption went from 2 dkh per day down to 0.5 dkh daily. Stressed corals and all.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't have bubble algae for years, then poof, one frag plug introduced bryopsis and bubble algae.. sucks.

I tried manual removal which helped for sure, but won't kill it.

Then I tried fluconazole and that gave me dinos.. which killed 11 pieces of SPS, a few of which were ultra collector pieces in the $500+ range for a 1/2" nub.

After that the only thing I'm willing to try will be an emerald crab, or a short term fox face.

The dinos took a toll on all my sps. They're slowly recovering and their colors are still very dull. It's a shame, before the dinos I had no problems except some Bubble Algae. Which my acros were out growing anyways!

My alk consumption went from 2 dkh per day down to 0.5 dkh daily. Stressed corals and all.

Yeah man, that really sucks... I dosed fluconazole without any issues really (Bryopsis). I don't think my alk uptake was as high as yours though...

I occasionally see bubble algae in my tank, but my 2-3 emerald crabs always make it disappear. May consider that as an option.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, that really sucks... I dosed fluconazole without any issues really (Bryopsis). I don't think my alk uptake was as high as yours though...

I occasionally see bubble algae in my tank, but my 2-3 emerald crabs always make it disappear. May consider that as an option.

My concern with emeralds was always that I love little snack sized gobies. When most of my favorite fish max out at or under 2" I'm worried about an opportunistic crab. I've also been told as far as crabs go, emeralds are pretty decent citizens so long as they have algae and I overfeed the tank for them to scavenge.

Have your emeralds ever gone after your fish?

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with emeralds was always that I love little snack sized gobies. When most of my favorite fish max out at or under 2" I'm worried about an opportunistic crab. I've also been told as far as crabs go, emeralds are pretty decent citizens so long as they have algae and I overfeed the tank for them to scavenge.

Have your emeralds ever gone after your fish?

Well due to some major QT + fallow issues, I only have 3 fish in my 210g atm... 2 clowns and a midas blenny. None of them have had any issues with the crabs so far.

I'm currently halfway done QT'ing a new batch of fish (Bellus angel, orange-back fairy, longfin fairy) and don't expect problems there. The next batch of QT fish will be 5 lyretail anthias, and even then I don't see problems with the crabs.

It's up to you man. With fish like clown gobies, I might be concerned, but regardless it could be a risk.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well due to some major QT + fallow issues, I only have 3 fish in my 210g atm... 2 clowns and a midas blenny. None of them have had any issues with the crabs so far.

I'm currently halfway done QT'ing a new batch of fish (Bellus angel, orange-back fairy, longfin fairy) and don't expect problems there. The next batch of QT fish will be 5 lyretail anthias, and even then I don't see problems with the crabs.

It's up to you man. With fish like clown gobies, I might be concerned, but regardless it could be a risk.

And none of those are little ground dwelling gobies either D:

I think I may give one a shot.. I'll just make sure to feed the crab directly now and then.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a red Mithrax crab you may want to try those. Less aggressive ive heard.
If excessive coral growth is plaguing your tank I do know a guy who would be willing to take all the trimmings ;)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture dump. Random frag tank shots.

Like 3/4 of my frag tank, minus the SPS
815eedbb-2831-4793-be72-6083542b2e65-original.jpg

Zoas: Rainbow Incinerators, Hallucinations, BigR Space Chaos, GB Buttkissers
5501b152-ba7c-44c8-b67b-8954064cf1d2-original.jpg

Cool wild shroom I've got. I'll see if it bounces for me :D
8fd10902-f1f5-4698-b37d-e3d7a6052ea1-original.jpg

CaliKid Patchwork Acan
523d0d41-5d20-48e9-878d-cb14741b4c70-original.jpg

Jesus corals Acan -- Lost some color from the dinos and is very pale. It'll recover though as it's still feeding and growing!
af9d9abd-d7e3-4db5-a07b-16d61277c8eb-original.jpg

Baby shrooms cooking
c6e4847c-1076-41fd-a427-e9be9b11f880-original.jpg

Jersey Bounce
b9bdf043-89c9-4293-b3cb-80a045547f96-original.jpg

Willsoni top, "Bloodshots" bottom.
073b15ac-4e87-452f-84cb-e26bf8f3d962-original.jpg

Bleeding Apple Bowerbanki
c0f1853d-4008-4ce8-9a22-b8b840a19ec8-original.jpg

Willsoni center
efc296ae-5253-4fbe-a703-ddaa62692242-original.jpg

@gcarroll Infinity Stone Acan haha
fd4a8a9a-32b4-40cd-903b-a88118fe20bf-original.jpg

Big scolly? I think it's a scolly. I'm not much for ID'ing non-corals.
5adb0b51-be79-4dae-bf7c-51c4715c9210-original.jpg

Baby Eclectus cooking.
52f27d49-7fe9-4104-b0b5-bba00d2f068b-original.jpg

St. Thomas shroom, I shoved in a cup.
b4e68e5b-8406-475d-97da-3aa639253742-original.jpg

CaliKid unreleased rhodactis / no name
de60a5a8-8ac2-4c64-a1bd-fad81835cb66-original.jpg

Some SPS that didn't make the cut in my display :D
686d4722-7eee-476a-a210-1d145e402a54-original.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more money in all that coral than I have touched in my lifetime... props to you man. Let's see some REAL coral now!

I'm a broke student actually lol! I've just bought a few pieces, traded a few pieces, got a few investment pieces, and it slowly all came together. Lights are out now, I'll have to take some SPS pics soon, been awhile!

The cup idea is pretty neat. Do you run low flow in that tank to keep them from falling over?

@bubbaque just noticed I have cups in two sizes, one for babies (up front) and one for mommas (in back). Give a little answer for both.

In the back, I put shrooms in 2" pee cups so they are in very low flow, specifically because the flow in my frag tank is ripping by most standards. Frag tank is 20x16x9, and I've got a 1600 gph sicce in there making a big circular gyre motion in the tank.

They are weighed down with a 2" frag disk, some rubble, and I drilled holes on the bottom. They are snug against the frag rack I have in there.

The smaller frag cups I have in the front are similar but shorter, I put lids on them so they don't get annoyed and fly away... Nothing like having a $400 pinky nail sized baby fly off into the sunset.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back