The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Rakie, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Hippie kid got a new sps yesterday. Looks like a bird'snest to me. It has a neon green/yellow look. I'll show you later. Is it ok to post low-end stuff on here? :)

Retro Reefer, najer, Rakie and 4 others like this.

2. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

There's low end stuff in that pack my friend got too, just because it isn't valuable doesn't mean you won't like it :D

najer, fabutahoun, bubbaque and 4 others like this.
  3. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Fragged some zoas.

All those clean white frag plugs are hallucinations, space chaos, and GB buttkissers. Singles and doubles.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Janci

Janci Staghorns will prevail R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Safety goggles!
    ;Doctor;Doctor;Doctor;Doctor

I hate fragging zoas.

Crabby48, bubbaque, Fudsey and 5 others like this.
  5. Rakie

I have no problems fragging zoas. In fact, in almost every palytoxin thread I try and point out the key items that can make it dangerous. Long story short, unless you're nearly intentionally trying to hurt yourself, specifically with the junker big Green and Brown palys... You're fine. They can't hurt you.

In all cases it's not simple fragging, and it's not fragging nice zoas/palys. It's people scrubbing those big nasty wild ones with a steel wire brush. or putting rocks in the oven with them. You literally have to be torturing the paly, and it has to be certain ones, to cause these problems. You almost have to intentionally be foolish to harm yourself.

6. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman walks like a Midas Blenny R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

This could be our country’s motto. I will get working on the new flag

blackizzz, Crabby48, bubbaque and 8 others like this.
  7. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I call this natural selection. Tide Pod anyone?

blackizzz, Crabby48, Rakie and 5 others like this.
  8. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman walks like a Midas Blenny R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

LOL. Just for the record, I love this country.

9. Rakie

My snails decided to breed two hours ago and haven't stopped. My tank is a hazy White cloud of snail gunk.

I doubt the solid white plume is visible in this picture though.

Carbon and skimmer can't keep up![​IMG]

10. Janci

Janci Staghorns will prevail R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That is some serious foggy white snail stuff.
    Now I understand why bubble algae like your tank.

11. Rakie

Yep. I just may have a few dozen more baby snails in a few weeks. Again.

12. NY_Caveman

I found a baby Trochus in a heater chamber yesterday. Probably 1/8”.
    4D3C9097-94B4-4163-A9D2-9B3D645676DA.jpeg

That is a Cobalt Neo Therm 150 W heater to the left for reference (that needs a good detritus blow off, I know). I have fresh snail eggs every morning on the glass. Dozens of them.

13. Katrina71

Dirty dirty snails. :)

14. Katrina71

Can you suggest a blue sps (lower end) for the hippie kid?

15. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Could try some older ones like oregon tort, and not really blue but a pearlberry is “almost” blue

Retro Reefer, Rakie, Fudsey and 3 others like this.
  16. Rakie

Miyagi Tort. Oregon tort is great, but it's expensive for a beginner!

Janci, Katrina71, Crabby48 and 2 others like this.
  17. WallyB

WallyB Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Rakie, your Tank is Just Busting with Life. It's Nature's Orgy in a Box!!
    Nature is saying things are perfect, but of course you (like all reefers) are picky on what life we want on Display.

Crabby48, Fudsey, Janci and 2 others like this.
  18. Rakie

Stomatella, Trochus, and Money Cowries are all breeding like bunnies.

najer, Crabby48, Fudsey and 2 others like this.
  19. Rakie

So I've got an interested problem, I'm going to write this out as an order of events to make it clear what lead to what.

• After having some issues with the Reef Flux, I ended up with some PO'd corals, and dinos.
    • To get rid of the dinos, I dosed some Dr Tims waste away, and some light carbon dosing at night.
    • This killed the dinos, then killed my nutrients and brought me to 0/0, and my corals were again PO'd and showing stress.
    • I have been running my Alk at 12, and I think while healthy, this was fine. During any problems, I think this alk amplified coral stress.
    • Because they were stressed and PO'd, I lowered my lighting, as they were starting to look further stressed by heavy lighting.
    • I dosed a little nutrients to get my numbers out of the dreaded 0/0 range. Alk started to climb, before dosing so I slowed CalRX bubble rate by a bit.
    • Alk consumption went from 2.0 dkh per day, to 0.5 or less dkh per day.
    • 5-6 days later, alk consumption is still low

When adjusting LED's, specifically when turning them UP, I've noticed corals would completely shut down their Alk/Cal/Mag uptake. But I've not witnessed this while turning down lighting.

So everything is still improving, but consumption of the big 3 is still low and has not risen yet. So much so, that my Calcium Reactor has been OFF for the last 4-5 days, and alk is steady.

This is new to me, but things happen. So I'm sitting and monitoring closely. All is well but corals may take awhile to increase uptake of the big 3 again.

20. AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016 Active Member

Somebody needs to teach those snails about condoms.

Crabby48 and Rakie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted