OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippie kid got a new sps yesterday. Looks like a bird'snest to me. It has a neon green/yellow look. I'll show you later. Is it ok to post low-end stuff on here? :)

There's low end stuff in that pack my friend got too, just because it isn't valuable doesn't mean you won't like it :D

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragged some zoas.

All those clean white frag plugs are hallucinations, space chaos, and GB buttkissers. Singles and doubles.
9cb831752dba6362c3843930b74e5da9.jpg
33617abfc8afc713e7d3f525e086bd17.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety goggles!
;Doctor;Doctor;Doctor;Doctor

I hate fragging zoas.

I have no problems fragging zoas. In fact, in almost every palytoxin thread I try and point out the key items that can make it dangerous. Long story short, unless you're nearly intentionally trying to hurt yourself, specifically with the junker big Green and Brown palys... You're fine. They can't hurt you.

In all cases it's not simple fragging, and it's not fragging nice zoas/palys. It's people scrubbing those big nasty wild ones with a steel wire brush. or putting rocks in the oven with them. You literally have to be torturing the paly, and it has to be certain ones, to cause these problems. You almost have to intentionally be foolish to harm yourself.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails decided to breed two hours ago and haven't stopped. My tank is a hazy White cloud of snail gunk.

I doubt the solid white plume is visible in this picture though.

Carbon and skimmer can't keep up!
c6973175cc0b6def0d99560426d03b07.jpg

I found a baby Trochus in a heater chamber yesterday. Probably 1/8”.
4D3C9097-94B4-4163-A9D2-9B3D645676DA.jpeg

That is a Cobalt Neo Therm 150 W heater to the left for reference (that needs a good detritus blow off, I know). I have fresh snail eggs every morning on the glass. Dozens of them.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty dirty snails. :)
Rakie, your Tank is Just Busting with Life. It's Nature's Orgy in a Box!!
Nature is saying things are perfect, but of course you (like all reefers) are picky on what life we want on Display.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie, your Tank is Just Busting with Life. It's Nature's Orgy in a Box!!
Nature is saying things are perfect, but of course you (like all reefers) are picky on what life we want on Display.

Stomatella, Trochus, and Money Cowries are all breeding like bunnies.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got an interested problem, I'm going to write this out as an order of events to make it clear what lead to what.

• After having some issues with the Reef Flux, I ended up with some PO'd corals, and dinos.
  • To get rid of the dinos, I dosed some Dr Tims waste away, and some light carbon dosing at night.
  • This killed the dinos, then killed my nutrients and brought me to 0/0, and my corals were again PO'd and showing stress.
  • I have been running my Alk at 12, and I think while healthy, this was fine. During any problems, I think this alk amplified coral stress.
  • Because they were stressed and PO'd, I lowered my lighting, as they were starting to look further stressed by heavy lighting.
  • I dosed a little nutrients to get my numbers out of the dreaded 0/0 range. Alk started to climb, before dosing so I slowed CalRX bubble rate by a bit.
  • Alk consumption went from 2.0 dkh per day, to 0.5 or less dkh per day.
  • 5-6 days later, alk consumption is still low

When adjusting LED's, specifically when turning them UP, I've noticed corals would completely shut down their Alk/Cal/Mag uptake. But I've not witnessed this while turning down lighting.

So everything is still improving, but consumption of the big 3 is still low and has not risen yet. So much so, that my Calcium Reactor has been OFF for the last 4-5 days, and alk is steady.

This is new to me, but things happen. So I'm sitting and monitoring closely. All is well but corals may take awhile to increase uptake of the big 3 again.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back