The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using chemicals seem to be a quick fix that may not be the best way.

Everyone says slow is good and think that is over looked at times
That said I don’t have a clue what I’m doing but there seems to be a negative effect with chemicals

New corals look great!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank upgrade in. Thanks to John for the help, it would have been a pita. Also thanks to Go for building one in an unusual size for me.
7712843bb4c214a6ae49152066fd8c6e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you John for helping!
And to Go for building it !!

In other news, all my calrx people (except @gcarrol) have told me one thing. Use Kalkwasser Too.

Fine. I liked kalk before, adding some shouldn't kill anything especially in lower amounts (3tbs per 5g). So kalk will settle down and be in tank tomorrow.

Doesn't coral milk look growthy?
3b3e1ddd35bc2fb01ec03f889485a6b0.jpg

Last edited:

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk. I hate having to mix it but I like it so much I keep on doing it. I went and got a half mask respirator as before when I would breath in while mixing it, it would give me a serious headache, so I would be careful with that. I use to wait for my kalk to settle but I don't anymore. I just mix it and let it go.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk. I hate having to mix it but I like it so much I keep on doing it. I went and got a half mask respirator as before when I would breath in while mixing it, it would give me a serious headache, so I would be careful with that. I use to wait for my kalk to settle but I don't anymore. I just mix it and let it go.

I just dump it in a 2.5g jug with a little drain thing on the bottom (like some tea pitchers have), seal and shake it up. As for not waiting for it to settle.. I'm worried my ato pump won't like that much :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque -- How saturated is your kalk, and do you have your entire ATO filled with kalk or just a few gallons with saturated kalkwater?

That frag tank was up quick!

3 hours, including an oopsie trip to the LFS for a bulkhead. I was gonna be cheap and reuse mine but... nope, it wasn't a thread/thread like I thought :D

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque -- How saturated is your kalk, and do you have your entire ATO filled with kalk or just a few gallons with saturated kalkwater?
I use a 20 gallon Brute garbage can separate from my ato. I have one of the 50ml a minute pumps from BRS turn on for 1 minute every 8 minutes. I use fully saturated kalk (1 cup kalkwasser into the 20 gallon container). I wanted to dose as much kalk as I can without having it dose more than I evaporate.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20 gallon Brute garbage can separate from my ato. I have one of the 50ml a minute pumps from BRS turn on for 1 minute every 8 minutes. I use fully saturated kalk (1 cup kalkwasser into the 20 gallon container). I wanted to dose as much kalk as I can without having it dose more than I evaporate.

I was thinking about getting one of the new single kamoer pumps for that actually, everyone said I was crazy it would be too slow, but 50mL a minute is nice. And every 8 minutes though, seems like a lot!

I never saw this in your build thread, but do you run a higher alk?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting one of the new single kamoer pumps for that actually, everyone said I was crazy it would be too slow, but 50mL a minute is nice. And every 8 minutes though, seems like a lot!

I never saw this in your build thread, but do you run a higher alk?
I think one of those pumps would be great. The brs one I am using starts to run very loud, very quickly. I dose about 2 gallons of kalk a day but I have a lot of water volume. I run my alk at 9

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of those pumps would be great. The brs one I am using starts to run very loud, very quickly. I dose about 2 gallons of kalk a day but I have a lot of water volume. I run my alk at 9

Well the new Kamoer bluetooth stand alone medical grade pumps are pretty amazing at $60 each... Outstanding deal.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Link: Kamoer X1 <--- LINK

X1 SOFTWARE FEATURES:
  • Add multiple X1 pumps to control

• Flow calibration setting

• Operational modes (Manual, Auto Quick Setting)

• Easy setting - Set dosing start and stop time (does not have to be 24 hours)

• Enter total number of ml to be dosed over the time period

• Enter the number of times to dose each time period (up to 12 times)

• User can even choose dosing every 1 - 31 days or certain days per week

• Adjustable dosing volume Auto Mode: 0.5 - 6500.0ml

• Adjustable dosing volume Manual Mode: 0.1 - 6000.0ml

• Delay setting between channels prevents chemical interference
*Requires Bluetooth capable mobile device to operate.

Where to get: Fragtastic Reef is the only place that has it in stock <--- LINK

It was supposed to be released on the 8th of January, but I believe it has been pushed back a little bit.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hippy kid would like more sps. I was wondering if you could suggest a vivid (inexpensive) one to look for?
I like colorful old schools corals , like strawberry short cake, ORA red planet, and GARF Bonsai. these are colorful and easier to keep compared to other acroporas.
Setosa Montipora one of the coolest monties ever.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back