OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well @gcarroll suggested I give something different a try. Dosing some Dr. Tims at night and following it up with carbon dosing. He told me he had been successful in taking out cyano this way, at break neck speed. Maybe it would work for dinos..

I'm not a superstitious person but I'm knocking on wood right now as I say they're gone. Today I haven't seen a single bubble or strand. And one of my corals that was just getting attacked is dino free.

My typical go-to was Metro, which works for some and not for others. It worked for me 2/3 times. It had an effect this time around, but wasn't enough on it's own.

I also dosed kno3 and po4, as I had started dosing dr Tims and didn't want my nutrients to bottom out. I'm a big believer in nutrients, especially for SPS.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank pic, and one acan has sprouted at least 7 new heads.. 3 visible in this pic
33b9fcb0e7c6040a76d57d4ba03a6026.jpg
7fea04592132ce9eb754b053b841229a.jpg
;Wideyed

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Dino's have left but they also left a mark in my sps.

Anything that had dinos on it began to stn, then rtn.

Every night, something in my tank is sheddinglarge chunks of skin like in this picture below -- it's hard to make out, but the blurry parts are skin flapping around in the current. Seems to only happen at night.

Lost 11 and counting.

I've never had these kind of problems. No random acro deaths or stn/rtn, so having this happen suddenly really sucks!
8b782b80c3ed23cc8880ba78b0264fcf.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Dino's have left but they also left a mark in my sps.

Anything that had dinos on it began to stn, then rtn.

Every night, something in my tank is sheddinglarge chunks of skin like in this picture below -- it's hard to make out, but the blurry parts are skin flapping around in the current. Seems to only happen at night.

Lost 11 and counting.

I've never had these kind of problems. No random acro deaths or stn/rtn, so having this happen suddenly really sucks!
8b782b80c3ed23cc8880ba78b0264fcf.jpg
Sorry to hear that man, I lost all my sps a few months ago. Same thing battling dinos then tried some dr.T waste away. It killed everything except my valida, stag , and slimer but even that is dying now. It’s sad, hope it works out for you!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that dinos are gone I'm throwing in lots if carbon to remove whatever left over stuff may have accumulated (waste away probably, residual dinos).

It sucks, but it happens. Happened to everyone I know so it had to be my turn eventually!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that dinos are gone I'm throwing in lots if carbon to remove whatever left over stuff may have accumulated (waste away probably, residual dinos).

It sucks, but it happens. Happened to everyone I know so it had to be my turn eventually!
Rakie I’m curious if when you dosed Fluconazole did you use the Reef Flux brand?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluconazole was for the bubble algae? But you still have bubble algae?

dang dude sorry about the sticks. Any survivors?

What exactly went on with the calrx besides the ph probe?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie I’m curious if when you dosed Fluconazole did you use the Reef Flux brand?

Yes I did -- Any specific reason you're asking?

The fluconazole was for the bubble algae? But you still have bubble algae?

dang dude sorry about the sticks. Any survivors?

What exactly went on with the calrx besides the ph probe?

I only lost about 11, but I'm preemptively counting a few that aren't dead yet, just look worrying. There's currently 8 that are totally dead, and 35+ that are just fine without even a mark on them. of course the dead include every coral that was a favorite.

Seemed like anything the dinos touched just very slowly STN'd until one night they full blown RTN'd. It was always at night, I would see large chunks of the acros just flying off the skeleton. Never seen anything like it.

One or two are recovering surprisingly, and one or two are getting worse.

I'm not sure what happened with the pH probe, just stopped working one day. It was only working for maybe 6-7 days before it died. The day it broke was windy, and my window fan was blown out the window. Thought *maybe* it might have hit it? But it's 4' away from the window, and the co2 tank is in front of the reactor so it may have been coincidence.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_________________12/22/16__________________

Pictures!! Trying to keep quality + get better at photographing corals

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Notice how orange the little mille in the back is getting?
IMG_0025.jpg

FTS
IMG_0004%201.jpg

________________1/9/17___________________

Low Light Shot

IMG_0037_1.jpg

Looking Closer

Done_0001.jpg

Closer Still

IMG_0033.jpg

Left Garf <-----> Right PC Superman Table

IMG_0007_1.jpg

_________________1/18/17__________________

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013_1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

As you can also see, my rock picked up a very light green algae. It's tough as all hell, doesn't grow anything physically from it, and I've been told it could be green coraline -- But it's starting to speckle purple all over so I'm guessing it's going to be largely purple. I'd rather the rock be rock colored but there's not a dang thing I can do about it -_-

Couple more pictures

I can never get this ridge in focus completely. Or partially sometimes!

IMG_0002.jpg

On the Rack

IMG_0003_1.jpg

Pink table with Red polyps

IMG_0007%201.jpg

Another red table with mille like PE

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Garf Bonsai

IMG_0019.jpg

Pro Corals Superman Table

IMG_0020_1.jpg

My broken Wrasse, finally still for just long enough.. She's recovering still and improving. She may end up being 100% after all.

IMG_0027_2.jpg

________________2/8/17___________________

All is well, things are humming along, soon I'll have a Gyre in there. Lots of encrusting / growth goin' on. Colors are holding alright, but not as mind blowing as I've had 'em before.

Quick and dirty shots.

IMG_0015_1.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

_________________2/11/17__________________

Some pics. I try to keep it as neutral and true to life as possible. No actinic only lies here, full 6x24 ATI fixture, Blue pop OFF.

IMG_0019_2.jpg

IMG_0020_2.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0031_1.jpg

IMG_0025_1.jpg

Well planned, love it, comrade

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did -- Any specific reason you're asking?

I only lost about 11, but I'm preemptively counting a few that aren't dead yet, just look worrying. There's currently 8 that are totally dead, and 35+ that are just fine without even a mark on them. of course the dead include every coral that was a favorite.

Seemed like anything the dinos touched just very slowly STN'd until one night they full blown RTN'd. It was always at night, I would see large chunks of the acros just flying off the skeleton. Never seen anything like it.

One or two are recovering surprisingly, and one or two are getting worse.

I'm not sure what happened with the pH probe, just stopped working one day. It was only working for maybe 6-7 days before it died. The day it broke was windy, and my window fan was blown out the window. Thought *maybe* it might have hit it? But it's 4' away from the window, and the co2 tank is in front of the reactor so it may have been coincidence.
I asked because I think it’s the Reef Flux that caused your issue and not the Dino. Not sure if you remember but several months ago I had some tank issues. Right before then I was having some bryopsis in one of my frag tanks so I dosed reef flux. A week or two goes by and I start getting rtn on some corals, others turning brown. I never experienced anything like that before. It killed off the bryopsis and my nutrients went up and I blamed it on nutrients but looking back I’m almost positive it was the reef flux. My lfs experienced the same thing but I didn’t know before I used it. There are also YouTube videos where people are experiencing the same thing with zoas and lps after dosing reef flux. I know lots of people have had great luck dosing fluconazole but I think many people used a different brand. This was just my experience but I will never use Reef Flux again.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked because I think it’s the Reef Flux that caused your issue and not the Dino. Not sure if you remember but several months ago I had some tank issues. Right before then I was having some bryopsis in one of my frag tanks so I dosed reef flux. A week or two goes by and I start getting rtn on some corals, others turning brown. I never experienced anything like that before. It killed off the bryopsis and my nutrients went up and I blamed it on nutrients but looking back I’m almost positive it was the reef flux. My lfs experienced the same thing but I didn’t know before I used it. There are also YouTube videos where people are experiencing the same thing with zoas and lps after dosing reef flux. I know lots of people have had great luck dosing fluconazole but I think many people used a different brand. This was just my experience but I will never use Reef Flux again.

Actually I don't remember!! And that's kind of what I was guessing you were alluding to... Very interesting you say that. I did have dinos that popped up AFTER reef flux usage.

I did NOT have this problem after using regular fluconazole, from a different brand/manufacturer/lab. So you may be onto something... If that's the case, it's a total shame. I can tell you I've gotten dinos twice after dosing other fluconazole, but never had coral issues like this with dinos.

I've lost about 11 corals, total mixed bag of colonies/frags, hearty/sensitive. I've had some sensitive stuff be just fine, but my green slimer is peeling. And vice versa of course. Seems indiscriminate, I'll be adding lots more carbon and doing more water changes just in case.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it sucks but I have a LOT of acros. I was well over 50 at last count, not counting the 30-some LPS I've got.

A lot of my SPS were kept small, or sometimes I'd take generous frags and sell off the rest of the colony to keep things from getting too big and outgrowing my tank. Space is at a premium, especially with over 50 different SPS species.

My biggest corals right now are PC Rainbow, and JF Fox flame, both around baseball size. Most of my other corals have completely encrusted 2" coral discs, and are on average 2x3" tall, except a few that loved to encrust but not grow vertically.

Most of my smaller frags are 1" discs that are fully encrusted.

So I've still got quite a few corals, but did lose a handful. Actually, I lost most all of my favorites, as I told @ReeferBean! But I knew it would happen eventually. I always tell new people one day you'll wake up and everything will be dead. people tell me that's cynical, but none of those people have been in the hobby more than 5 years and seen it first hand. Even very stable and well maintained tanks have little events where things just happen. Doesn't matter if they're big, small, new, old.. Sometimes it just seems to happen for reasons outside of our control, and understanding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back