OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palytoxin thing is dramatically overhyped. Is it real? Yes. Can it hurt you? Absolutely. Do the paly's in your tank have it? Kind of...

The one's that are dangerous are the big brown and green ones that are invasive. The ones that come on live rock, that nobody would ever buy on purpose because they're frankly ugly as sin.

Additionally, the way these have seriously harmed people have been under very specific circumstances where people were being intentionally foolish with them. In one case by putting live rock in an OVEN. Another case by BOILING live rock on the stove in fresh water... And in yet another case, by people trying to kill them by brushing them off with a steel wire brush, literally shredding them to bits.

If you do things like this, specifically with big ugly wild palys, you may be in trouble.. Regular zoas and palys for some miraculous reason, tend to not have those levels of palytoxin. Making them inherently safer than their wild, ugly counterparts.

With all that in mind, here are my basic tips that will solve all your worries.

1) Do it in the garage, or back patio
2) Have lots of light, especially blue light so you can see where the polyps are clearly
3) Have a fan. It helps, a lot.
4) Wear gloves
5) Buy a cheap piece of acrylic that's like 2x2', and do your work under that. It's literally a clear shield that solves all the problems.
6) Have lugols to put the fresh cut frags into
7) Use a razor blade before cutting the zoas with bone cutters or cable cutters. A clean and complete smooth cut is less traumatic on the coral flesh. Since doing this I have had zero zoas/palys squirt on me. Then the bone cutters aren't making sloppy cuts that tear and stress the zoa, they are just cutting the rockwork.

To use the acrylic shield all you need is to put up two small boxes on either end to hold it up, and cut the zoa under that. It's crystal clear, will protect your face from any splatter better than any goggles will. And doubles as a great table to put your tools. From a plastic shop or even from Home depot, it will give you all the piece of mind you want.

While working on frags I typically have a cup of frag plugs, 2-3 sharpies, 2 pairs of tweezers, a cup of Lugols dip to put the fresh cut corals while the glue cures, lots of glue, and lots of razor blades.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palytoxin thing is dramatically overhyped. Is it real? Yes. Can it hurt you? Absolutely. Do the paly's in your tank have it? Kind of...

The one's that are dangerous are the big brown and green ones that are invasive. The ones that come on live rock, that nobody would ever buy on purpose because they're frankly ugly as sin.

Additionally, the way these have seriously harmed people have been under very specific circumstances where people were being intentionally foolish with them. In one case by putting live rock in an OVEN. Another case by BOILING live rock on the stove in fresh water... And in yet another case, by people trying to kill them by brushing them off with a steel wire brush, literally shredding them to bits.

If you do things like this, specifically with big ugly wild palys, you may be in trouble.. Regular zoas and palys for some miraculous reason, tend to not have those levels of palytoxin. Making them inherently safer than their wild, ugly counterparts.

With all that in mind, here are my basic tips that will solve all your worries.

1) Do it in the garage, or back patio
2) Have lots of light, especially blue light so you can see where the polyps are clearly
3) Have a fan. It helps, a lot.
4) Wear gloves
5) Buy a cheap piece of acrylic that's like 2x2', and do your work under that. It's literally a clear shield that solves all the problems.
6) Have lugols to put the fresh cut frags into
7) Use a razor blade before cutting the zoas with bone cutters or cable cutters. A clean and complete smooth cut is less traumatic on the coral flesh. Since doing this I have had zero zoas/palys squirt on me. Then the bone cutters aren't making sloppy cuts that tear and stress the zoa, they are just cutting the rockwork.

To use the acrylic shield all you need is to put up two small boxes on either end to hold it up, and cut the zoa under that. It's crystal clear, will protect your face from any splatter better than any goggles will. And doubles as a great table to put your tools. From a plastic shop or even from Home depot, it will give you all the piece of mind you want.

While working on frags I typically have a cup of frag plugs, 2-3 sharpies, 2 pairs of tweezers, a cup of Lugols dip to put the fresh cut corals while the glue cures, lots of glue, and lots of razor blades.
Amazing tips! Thank you! I’m going to do that tomorrow for sure!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tips! Thank you! I’m going to do that tomorrow for sure!
Here's a few pics of my work space. The little brown box is full of sharpies, glue, extra tweezers, razor blades. It's a grab box of everything really.

Last picture shows the acrylic I use as a shield. I lost my second little box or I'd have shown you how I set it up, but it's pretty easy to imagine.

The blue light helps me make clean cuts, and make sure I didn't accidentally butcher a zoa or something.
2a350732008a61623b78e19f92c21cef.jpg
b903b01124d84480c9b809655b38d872.jpg
083a2456074f7ab1a0a6c3c2628732f0.jpg
2d3b5bb8c74f009a3c3029289c786852.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics of my work space. The little brown box is full of sharpies, glue, extra tweezers, razor blades. It's a grab box of everything really.

Last picture shows the acrylic I use as a shield. I lost my second little box or I'd have shown you how I set it up, but it's pretty easy to imagine.

The blue light helps me make clean cuts, and make sure I didn't accidentally butcher a zoa or something.
2a350732008a61623b78e19f92c21cef.jpg
b903b01124d84480c9b809655b38d872.jpg
083a2456074f7ab1a0a6c3c2628732f0.jpg
2d3b5bb8c74f009a3c3029289c786852.jpg
Very nice !! I need this all! Lol

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need to take some of those frags off your hands. It must be a burden caring for them all ;) .

The second I got my frag tank it was full. 2 days after I upgraded to a larger frag tank, full. So I definitely need to do less hoarding and more selling! I've dropped off at least 10-12 zoa species at my buddies to hold onto already lol.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second I got my frag tank it was full. 2 days after I upgraded to a larger frag tank, full. So I definitely need to do less hoarding and more selling! I've dropped off at least 10-12 zoa species at my buddies to hold onto already lol.
Seems you are more a practical man than a business man.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back