OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms were a tad upset because of the dinos. Due to this, I moved them into my friends frag tank. Hopefully the dinos subside soon!

36a0c634f9beff6e3b3346db473c3c79.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing silicates!

The theory is diatoms tend to out compete dinos. This time it seems I have a different species of dinos than I had before.. So gotta try something new I guess.

Bring on the Diatoms!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB -- this is why I've been so quiet! :(

So I've given my friend $4000+ in mushrooms to hold (retail value) and now another $8000+ in LPS and some SPS. Frag tank is 100% empty now of everything, from expensive zoa colonies to Acans that fetch $300+ per head easy, to $500+ welso's that are completely tank raised and stable.

Got another $10k in SPS I'll probably drop off at another friends. How 10k in sps you ask? When a $500 pinky nail frag grows 5 little arms, it can be parted out at an EASY $1k at the hobbyist level, which is less than half price of retail cost. And I've got more than a few of those.

The important thing is handing them to trusted friends ensures that I can still say "have" instead of "had".

As a college student who is far from wealthy, who saved, and in some cases worked for a lot of these expensive unobtainable frags... This is borderline painful :/

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB -- this is why I've been so quiet! :(

So I've given my friend $4000+ in mushrooms to hold (retail value) and now another $8000+ in LPS and some SPS. Frag tank is 100% empty now of everything, from expensive zoa colonies to Acans that fetch $300+ per head easy, to $500+ welso's that are completely tank raised and stable.

Got another $10k in SPS I'll probably drop off at another friends. How 10k in sps you ask? When a $500 pinky nail frag grows 5 little arms, it can be parted out at an EASY $1k at the hobbyist level, which is less than half price of retail cost. And I've got more than a few of those.

The important thing is handing them to trusted friends ensures that I can still say "have" instead of "had".

As a college student who is far from wealthy, who saved, and in some cases worked for a lot of these expensive unobtainable frags... This is borderline painful :/
Thought I'd check your thread after you PM Posted me.

Again!! I'm not getting updated when you post here. Wonder why that happens.

Darn. Dino's again. Another Strain. Terrible. Sorry to hear.

I think you did the right thing to tear down, empty Frag Tank and maybe start Fresh, while some trustworthy folks hang on to your investments till you are ready.

I know this is tough. Painful. I'd go nuts and a Major Coral Loss would make me consider Live Rock Fish Only (or maybe anything but SPS).

Hang in there. You've been patching and hoping things work out.
A proper restart appears to be needed to get you back on track.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms were a tad upset because of the dinos. Due to this, I moved them into my friends frag tank. Hopefully the dinos subside soon!

36a0c634f9beff6e3b3346db473c3c79.jpg
Just lost some of mine during the sump and drill conversion.

Wish I had a friend with a frag tank :(

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All SPS and coral removed from tank while I fight dinos. All at a friends, and come this weekend, two different friends.
Well the corals are now safe while you take on your battle. All the best.

I assume you will tackle bubble algae at the same time.

What new friends?
Human or otherwise?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the corals are now safe while you take on your battle. All the best.

I assume you will tackle bubble algae at the same time.

What new friends?
Human or otherwise?

I meant my corals are going to different people while dinos are dying out. One friend can hold some things, another friend will hold my SPS

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant my corals are going to different people while dinos are dying out. One friend can hold some things, another friend will hold my SPS
Ahhh.
I thought maybe you had a feather friend coming this weekend.
And the other new acquaintance will be a Gizmo Gadget.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh.
I thought maybe you had a feather friend coming this weekend.
And the other new acquaintance will be a Gizmo Gadget.

nope. Brother's parrot has hatched and he's awaiting it to be weaned and hand fed. So about 6-8 weeks.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has to hatch first! Demand is high, people buying pre-laid eggs, forget pre-hatched! lol. We're in the wrong hobby!

UV is in. Corals are all at a friends. We're gonna see if we can beat these dinos quickly. I may also do a last minute rock change, probably not though..

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all the corals are gone try turning off your lights and run the uv to see if you knock it out.

I was thinking about that. The last time I did that though my fish got very stressed and 3 developed lympho and died. I've got whats called crappy luck.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cover your tank up and leave your normal house lights on so the tank gets ambient light. It will still kill the dino and should help some with the fish stress.

Oh, will that work enough? If so, that's probably ideal.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was coming here to hopefully see some good news updates but that sucks man!! Fingers crossed you can get it sorted quickly and get all your babies back soon :D

It's my fault. Everytime I've used something to kill algae I end up with dinos. Were 3-3 now, can't get much more confirmed than that. But as always, it'll go away. I just have to throw time and money at it. And hopefully some UV light will do the trick too.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back