The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. At least you had a place to put your corals. maybe significantly lowering your light schedule to a couple hours a day could help if you don’t want to lull them entirely. Killing the lights was a major part of helping me beat out my cyano and dinos.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms were a tad upset because of the dinos. Due to this, I moved them into my friends frag tank. Hopefully the dinos subside soon!

36a0c634f9beff6e3b3346db473c3c79.jpg

Psshhhh [emoji15] I wish I had a shroom collection like this. Just got my first bounce this past weekend at RAP Orlando. Shrooms are starting to grow on me

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie I have been following this and if it means anything you are reinforcing my choice to avoid chemicals like Vibrant and Chemi-clean at all costs. Honestly, I do not get the popularity. You are right that our systems want to self destruct. They can also be quite resilient. Bubble algae (I know yours was bad) and Cyanobacteria are expected nuisances. Dinoflagellates are a much more serious issue. Obviously.

You will recover like every time before and be even smarter.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother at the bird shop (LBS?) This rainforest chicken is a Queen of Bavaria, she is 7 weeks old, and super friendly.. he walk by and she jumped on him to play. She's not only a larger than average parrot species, but the breeder went out of his way to find a monster sized pair for genetic purposes. He breeds some of the largest QoB in the world apparently.

ef01961288e68d9df3fb3c408d25f371.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are 95% gone overnight. UV is magic, confirmed.

Well, the vibrant definitely did a number on the bubble algae, too bad about the dinos. They're mostly gone, and I'll be picking up a full time UV soon and get this lender unit back to a friend.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, the vibrant definitely did a number on the bubble algae, too bad about the dinos. They're mostly gone, and I'll be picking up a full time UV soon and get this lender unit back to a friend.
Glad to hear that, I know how it was frustrating for you. Hopefully UV will get rid of the dino for good.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a sweet pic! They are so impressive in person. Got to do that in Puerto Rico a few years back. Pretty gnarly.

And happy to year about the dinos. UV is definitely part of the future for me too. Just so expensive for larger tanks.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a sweet pic! They are so impressive in person. Got to do that in Puerto Rico a few years back. Pretty gnarly.

And happy to year about the dinos. UV is definitely part of the future for me too. Just so expensive for larger tanks.

My buddy runs a 25w AquaticUV on his 320 gallon system no problem. People overstate how much UV you need, because cheap UV's are bad, and have bad components. A bad Quartz sleeve and weak ballast are typically the first two problems, followed by a bad UV Bulb itself. Any of these weak components means you'll need a stronger (more expensive) UV to get the job done.

The functionality all comes down to 3 things -- Quality of Quartz sleeve (all proprietary sizes, so it heavily relies on the manufacturer quality), Quality of UV Bulb, Quality of Ballast.

Buy high end, and you don't need much.

Sorry to hear this. At least you had a place to put your corals. maybe significantly lowering your light schedule to a couple hours a day could help if you don’t want to lull them entirely. Killing the lights was a major part of helping me beat out my cyano and dinos.

Yeah, putting in the UV obliterated them in about 15-16 hours. Kinda surprised, so was my buddy... I'll be picking up a quality UV to have around the house when needed in the future. Maybe i'll just run it once a month or so for a week.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Huzzahh!!! :D :D

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously. The only other thing I'll try after that is some emerald crabs. Otherwise my corals can outgrow bubble algae lol
Vibrant is amazing but when suddenly when there's no bubble algae uptaking nutrients and such other issues arise which is why people blame it for cyano and such lol I wish we could get emerald crabs here in Aus but for the more vibrant is our saviour haha

Just glad to hear the UV was so effective!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is amazing but when suddenly when there's no bubble algae uptaking nutrients and such other issues arise which is why people blame it for cyano and such lol I wish we could get emerald crabs here in Aus but for the more vibrant is our saviour haha

Just glad to hear the UV was so effective!

Yeah, vibrant is very hit and miss for people. Some have no problems, some get dinos from the death of all the algaes leaving nothing to impede dinos from taking over, and some people use it to CURE dinos. That's just how these products are. People have the same mixed results from ReefHD (Reef Flux), from API Algaecides, and other stuff that kills out algaes.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, vibrant is very hit and miss for people. Some have no problems, some get dinos from the death of all the algaes leaving nothing to impede dinos from taking over, and some people use it to CURE dinos. That's just how these products are. People have the same mixed results from ReefHD (Reef Flux), from API Algaecides, and other stuff that kills out algaes.
The joys of the hobby, hey! haha

I've mostly given up on caring about the various algaes that grow in my tank (small amounts) as it always ends up being more pain. That being said, vibrant absolutely saved my life haha. How are the diatoms looking today??

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The joys of the hobby, hey! haha

I've mostly given up on caring about the various algaes that grow in my tank (small amounts) as it always ends up being more pain. That being said, vibrant absolutely saved my life haha. How are the diatoms looking today??
The dinos are all completely gone. I'll probably pick up my corals in a week or two. As well as a UV...

Such is the hobby.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fantastic news man!! :D Hopefully they stay that way now!!
Yep. Guess my corals will only be visiting a friend for a short while.

While everything is out, I'm gonna scrub the rocks again and suck out all the bubble algae. I also have a buddy with some emeralds for me that went to town on his bubble algae. Safe-ish crabs that guaranteed eat bubble algae are always something to look forward to grabbing

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Guess my corals will only be visiting a friend for a short while.

While everything is out, I'm gonna scrub the rocks again and suck out all the bubble algae. I also have a buddy with some emeralds for me that went to town on his bubble algae. Safe-ish crabs that guaranteed eat bubble algae are always something to look forward to grabbing

My foxface destroyed my bubble population. I only ran the vibrant for a month. And havent since. Pretty sure the foxface nips them as they pop up now.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface destroyed my bubble population. I only ran the vibrant for a month. And havent since. Pretty sure the foxface nips them as they pop up now.

I'd love a fox face honestly, but my tank is too small for one. I also hear in a small tank they develop pretty nasty attitudes

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back