GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
Thanks for sharing.
That's some great and healthy sps growth :)

Are you still using the "Blue Bucket" salt mix with the ATI E's program?

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
Thanks for sharing.
That's some great and healthy sps growth :)

Are you still using the "Blue Bucket" salt mix with the ATI E's program?

Thanks, Freddie

Yep, still using the Blue Bucket with the ATI Essentials. I like the ATI essentials, after such a decent response from my corals the only other system I'd use would be a Calcium Reactor.

Very nice tank

Thanks, glad to be here. Just got back into reefing after a 10y hiatus so these threads are providing some great inspiration

Len

Thanks! I actually had a long hiatus myself -- I kept reefs since middle school, and when my first reef nuked after a bacteria bloom (this was when a 10 gallon reef was deemed impossible to keep) I walked away for a bit. It seems in this hobby, something will cause someone to walk away for a bit. It just seems to happen.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been busy, and just hoped those last few corals I had that were dying would come around. Eventually I realized they weren't going to, but left 'em in anyways.

Wanna know what de-motivation looks like?

Right here;

ddqdqdqddqKeppelbleaching00110101010010.jpg

So the 4 little dead frags are finally out of the tank now. I've been lucky once, but I shouldn't expect zombie corals everytime.

Aside from that. My tank is recovering from my carelessness. So here's hoping it stays on target for awhile.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's some pics. It feels like it's been awhile.

Now this first pic is one of my new favorites. I can't tell you how many times I've been told Assessors are cryptic fish that you never see.. Well, nobody told him this. He spends most of the day at the top of the water pretending he's a flasher wrasse and trying to shoal with my wrasse.

Yellow Assessor
YellowAssessor%20BBBBB1B1B11B11B11B1B1.jpg

Tierra Del Fuego
TDF%20CCCCCC3c3c33c33333c3c3c33c.jpg

TDF%20ccccccc3c3c33c33cc3c3c3c.jpg

Tyree hellfire
TyreeHellfire%20AA1A1A1A11A11A1.jpg

TyreeHellfire%20A1111a1a1a11a11a.jpg

JF Fox Flame

b2222b2b2b22b22b.jpg

bbb2b2b22b22bb2b2b.jpg

I've been snapping multiple pics side by side now for corals. Sometimes something as little as a glimmer line, or the movement of polyps can change the color / focus of the camera. This time I took about 5 shots in quick succession and pulled the best 2 of each.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's some pics. It feels like it's been awhile.

Now this first pic is one of my new favorites. I can't tell you how many times I've been told Assessors are cryptic fish that you never see.. Well, nobody told him this. He spends most of the day at the top of the water pretending he's a flasher wrasse and trying to shoal with my wrasse.

Yellow Assessor
YellowAssessor%20BBBBB1B1B11B11B11B1B1.jpg

Tierra Del Fuego
TDF%20CCCCCC3c3c33c33333c3c3c33c.jpg

TDF%20ccccccc3c3c33c33cc3c3c3c.jpg

Tyree hellfire
TyreeHellfire%20AA1A1A1A11A11A1.jpg

TyreeHellfire%20A1111a1a1a11a11a.jpg

JF Fox Flame

b2222b2b2b22b22b.jpg

bbb2b2b22b22bb2b2b.jpg

I've been snapping multiple pics side by side now for corals. Sometimes something as little as a glimmer line, or the movement of polyps can change the color / focus of the camera. This time I took about 5 shots in quick succession and pulled the best 2 of each.
Rakie,

Thanks for sharing.
Your pictures and corals are looking great.

I too have stayed with the Blue Bucket and see no reason to change.

Freddie

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off Topic Update !

My car was stolen, and they messed it up good. Here's what they did;
- Spray painted the hood silver and gray
- Tore up the roof liner
- Sanded the car all over
- Broke the drivers window
- Crashed the car front / back
- Tweaked the frame
- and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting...

IMG_20171202_023929874.jpg

IMG_20171202_091217056.jpg

IMG_20171202_024102363.jpg

On topic: My Beach Bum is getting less ugly

BeacBum000124487995IMG_0014.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off Topic Update !

My car was stolen, and they messed it up good. Here's what they did;
- Spray painted the hood silver and gray
- Tore up the roof liner
- Sanded the car all over
- Broke the drivers window
- Crashed the car front / back
- Tweaked the frame
- and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting...
Rakie,
I'm sorry about your car.
Did you a @mdbannister have a fall out??? :mad: ...:)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Tim, sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully they catch the boogers who did it. Typically, most stolen cars son't have that much blatant damage done to them. sell a few frags of that sweet reef and patch up the beast!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
I'm sorry about your car.
Did you a @mdbannister have a fall out??? :mad: ...:)

It happens, and nah I haven't given him nearly enough crap for that yet -- Though it's not for lack of trying, he's just patient.

Dang Tim, sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully they catch the boogers who did it. Typically, most stolen cars son't have that much blatant damage done to them. sell a few frags of that sweet reef and patch up the beast!

Yeah, whats even more interested is the officers tell me they used a shaved key, which means they didn't destroy the ignition and seems more along the line of pro work. But then they caught them in the car, at a walmart, with a bunch of spray paint... What can you do, tweakers gonna tweak.

I have full coverage though, so everything will be covered.

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your car dude. I’ve been researching the ATI essentials, I’m thinking of switching from esv but from the directions it looks like I’m going to have dose at 4 times the amount with ATI Essentials. In your opinion is it worth it?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your car dude. I’ve been researching the ATI essentials, I’m thinking of switching from esv but from the directions it looks like I’m going to have dose at 4 times the amount with ATI Essentials. In your opinion is it worth it?

Yes* <--- Asterisk.

* It's not a plug and play system, your tank will have to adjust to it. Your alk is going to be all over the place for like a week or two. And as you adjust dose the uptake will change. This happened to everyone I spoke to.

* It's a weaker mix for sure, but not a big deal. You'll probably have to dose somewhere around 2x the amount, not 4x.

* It's nice, no doubt. I like whats happening in my tank for the most part. Growth is solid, colors are improving, etc etc.

* I've used BRS, and ME Corals -- Greatly prefer ATI Essentials myself. ME Corals is extremely potent with crazy pH boost.

* I'm not 100% sold on the zero water changes thing though. I believe water changes are still a good thing in general.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Full Tank Shot -- It's been a long time since one of these. A little cyano has come in, it's been dormant for a long time until recently.

Dark
RRR0R0R00R11R3R22R23R0RIMG_0007.jpg

Lighter
3410-01.jpeg

Hard to tell whats going on in my FTS, I'm guessing it's due to my cheapy camera. Ah well, there it is regardless.

Last edited:

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes* <--- Asterisk.

* It's not a plug and play system, your tank will have to adjust to it. Your alk is going to be all over the place for like a week or two. And as you adjust dose the uptake will change. This happened to everyone I spoke to.

* It's a weaker mix for sure, but not a big deal. You'll probably have to dose somewhere around 2x the amount, not 4x.

* It's nice, no doubt. I like whats happening in my tank for the most part. Growth is solid, colors are improving, etc etc.

* I've used BRS, and ME Corals -- Greatly prefer ATI Essentials myself. ME Corals is extremely potent with crazy pH boost.

* I'm not 100% sold on the zero water changes thing though. I believe water changes are still a good thing in general.

Did you use the recommended amount for your tank to start off? Or did start lower and keep adjusting till things leveled out? My parameters are already inline with their baseline parameters so for my 100 gallon tank

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kid976 -- Yes I started with their recommended dose, but it's complicated -- Switching caused my SPS to stop using alk as much so my alk spiked, then when I lowered my alk the corals started using so my alk went low quick, and I had to jack it up again.

So you will want to aggressively test alk at first, to see whats happening.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are moments when I'm proud to be human.

This isn't one of 'em.

Very sorry to see the destruction to your ride.

(Your reef, on the other hand, is pretty cool - those rich tones and deep shadows . . . )

~Bruce

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Checking in again on your thread...I just wanna point out that when I told those guys to grab your car and redecorate it for Christmas, this wasn't what I had in mind...I distinctly remember telling them to use green spray paint. ;Facepalm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back