The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Rakie, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Janci

Janci Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Reef looking great, even with the cheappy camera!

Rakie likes this.

2. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Well-Known Member

So I am about to be out of BRS 2 part and I am just not that mucg of a fan of it so I want to try something different. So you really recommend ATI over BRS?

Rakie likes this.
  3. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Yes -- so long as you pay heed to the warnings.

ATI is NOT a simple "plug and play" system. You will have to aggressively watch your parameters and adjust dosing as necessary. Alk will swing up and down and all over the place for about a week.

After that? Smooth sailing.

Although I may also admit, while I really like the 2 part and noticed quite a few little perks -- I'm not a fan of zero water changes. Not for nutrient reasons, I just notice everything loves a good water change.

Maritimer likes this.
  4. codydemmel4

Thank you and I will still do water changes probably once every two weeks or maybe still once a week. I used to hate them but the corals always love a water change, at least in my tank.

I will test alk at least twice a day then. Right before the lights go on, around lunch and then right after they go out at night and adjust accordingly.

Rakie likes this.
  5. Rakie

It's time for a photo dump. Not being a big fan of my junky FTS, i'll be throwing out some pics today, including a few top-down shots.

A Frag Rack
    [​IMG]

Little PC Rainbow
    [​IMG]

MDR Yellow Microlodos imposter
    [​IMG]

Red Planet (I've nicknamed it Count Popula, because it always looks good)
    [​IMG]

Some type of orangy, peachy, thing
    [​IMG]

Beach Bump and Pink Diamonds pallin' around
    [​IMG]

ASD Rainbow doing ASD things
    [​IMG]

JF Fox Flame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RR Diablo
    [​IMG]

Peaches n' Green
    [​IMG]

Spots -- He jumped out right in front of the camera today
    [​IMG]

najer and Maritimer like this.
  6. codydemmel4

nice man!

How many ml a day are you dosing of ATI by the way?

Rakie likes this.
  7. Rakie

Right now I'm at 45ml -- I was at 55ml previously, but took out some bryopsis and the meds angered the corals.. Because of that, alk intake slowed dramatically and alk went from my average of 8 dKH to 10 dKh. So I took it down to 30ml to let it lower and let things rebound.

I got hit with something the IT department calls an I.D. Ten T error, (ID10T error) -- And never calibrated my Refractometer... Salinity slipped to 1.020. After fixing that, then I fixed the bryopsis. So things have been less stable than typically the last month or two..

Before my ID10T error, I was running 60ml -- A lil bit of a story, @codydemmel4 -- But hopefully it'll help explain why my alk has been all over the place, and where it's at now. I don't want you to think ATI is crazy unstable. It's rock solid after the tank gets used to it.

codydemmel4 likes this.
  8. codydemmel4

No makes sense, I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to get or not. I am at 100ml of BRS 2 part (each) so I am worried that I will be a lot higher with the ATI Essentials and it may be pretty expensive. If I stayed around 100-150, it wouldnt be that bad for a couple months before I get a CaRx

9. Rakie

honestly i'd probably be using a calcium reactor too if it weren't for a couple things.. Beyond not having space for the steel tank, my family is pretty weird about it, and would assume it's going to cost a million in electricity, or that it's going to explode or start a fire.. I can't explain or defend their reasoning, but I assure you it's not quite worth the hassle at the time :D

Maritimer likes this.
  10. Rakie

Tonight was a great night. Talked about fishy stuff, hung out with reefy people, went home with reefy stuff. @mdbannister was there too!

And of course a huge thank you to 5.56 -- He hooked me up with a stellar pump tonight. So here's the loot:

[​IMG]

Maritimer, Janci and najer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted