The Last Upgrade

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank thread so you'll have to bare with me and help me out. So let me introduce myself. I'm from Verona, Wisconsin and I've been in the saltwater hobby for at least the last 15 years. I started with freshwater fish when I was in middle school and then as life progressed and funds increased I move into saltwater. I started with a 14 gallon bio-cube which progressed to a 75 gallon with a sump. I then upgrade to a standard 120 marineland mixed reef with a custom advance acrylics.

About 3 years ago my wife and I got serious about building a new home. One my requirements (yes it was required) was dedicated fish room in the basement along with an upgraded tank. Our new home is a ranch with a semi-exposed basement (ergress windows).

At the time of our design I was having a LFS and friend service my 120 gallon. So I asked/paid to have their assistance in this build. Some may say this is cheating but I've spent way to much in the past and I've learned that I'm definitely not a plumber. My thought going forward with this build is to do it right and try not to cut any corners.

We decided to go with a custom 72*30*30 all glass aquarium from All Glass. I would have loved a Reef Savvy but you can't have everything. We did put on Reef Savvy custom overflows.

The tank is 3/4 inch glass with eruo bracing.

Here she is still in wraps.
IMG_07641.jpg

I'll end this post here but will do another of the movers moving the tank in and the stand.

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank thread so you'll have to bare with me and help me out. So let me introduce myself. I'm from Verona, Wisconsin and I've been in the saltwater hobby for at least the last 15 years. I started with freshwater fish when I was in middle school and then as life progressed and funds increased I move into saltwater. I started with a 14 gallon bio-cube which progressed to a 75 gallon with a sump. I then upgrade to a standard 120 marineland mixed reef with a custom advance acrylics.

About 3 years ago my wife and I got serious about building a new home. One my requirements (yes it was required) was dedicated fish room in the basement along with an upgraded tank. Our new home is a ranch with a semi-exposed basement (ergress windows).

At the time of our design I was having a LFS and friend service my 120 gallon. So I asked/paid to have their assistance in this build. Some may say this is cheating but I've spent way to much in the past and I've learned that I'm definitely not a plumber. My thought going forward with this build is to do it right and try not to cut any corners.

We decided to go with a custom 72*30*30 all glass aquarium from All Glass. I would have loved a Reef Savvy but you can't have everything. We did put on Reef Savvy custom overflows.

The tank is 3/4 inch glass with eruo bracing.

Here she is still in wraps.
IMG_07641.jpg

I'll end this post here but will do another of the movers moving the tank in and the stand.
Awesome and good luck!

OP
OP
RDtrack

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I was lucky to have or well maybe I required it of our builder was to have his trim carpenters build me the stand for the tank. They did an awesome job. The stand and canopy are a natural maple. I didn't get a picture of drawing on the drywall of how we designed the stand, however my wife thought it was quite halaroius.

20190114_135924.jpg 20190114_135919.jpg 20190117_084942.jpg 20190104_101359.jpg 20190115_101514.jpg

OP
OP
RDtrack

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I wanted to make sure of was I wanted access to the tank from the front as well as the back so the canopy was hinged. One of the trim carpenters came up with a cheap and unique method for holding it open, a simple wood stick, notched so that when the canopy is open a screw slips in the notch.

This will be all tonight. I'll share more of the fish room tomorrow.

20190823_214538.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very nice carpentry and build. From Sheboygan area here

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent!!!...

Not sure if this is karma, but yesterday came across @vetteguy53081 660 and tonight this reef, they both bring me back to the good ol' days (Is just like that little red demon on your left shoulder whispering "DO IT AGAIN, DO IT AGAIN").

Best of luck, I cant wait to see what you do with this one :)

Last edited:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheese heads is right!!! I'm kidding but a guy from MN I have to give you a bit of grief!

Beautiful tank sir, I will be watching this build move along!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your builds are a little bigger than this :). I'm originally from Elkhart Lake and my parents still live in Howards Grove. Who knows maybe we'll meet up.
Im always game for meeting. Just added 51 corals yesterday - Yes. 51 !!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back