The Modified Black Box Thread

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After researching leds I think they are 3030 3W SMD LEDs because they had to fit into this lense and there is not much that does and also comes in a 3w variety.

I'll look later for spectrums in that size. Doing a water change now.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have a par output on the new LEDs vs the old ones? I am looking to know how much par would be output by the black box with no lenses at 6 inches below water surface when hung 12 inches above water as well as at the bottom of 20 inches or so.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the conversion from lux to par. I see the divide by 60 rule. What should I divide by for white and blue or just blue?

miroch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the url code. Not working. Just go to amazon Canada and search mars aqua. The light is sold by mars hydro.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged several of the marsaqua sellers on eBay last night. All units being sold now are SMD LED boards. Same spectrum LEDs as the previous generation though.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this puts me back on the fence for leds lights. I was planning on buying mars aqua and leds tonight. Now I am going to have to rethink it.
I noticed that mars aqua changed 450nm from 7 to 20 and 460nm from 24 to 4.
I have watched couple videos on using a hot air rework. It doesn't appear to be to difficult.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this puts me back on the fence for leds lights. I was planning on buying mars aqua and leds tonight. Now I am going to have to rethink it.
I noticed that mars aqua changed 450nm from 7 to 20 and 460nm from 24 to 4.
I have watched couple videos on using a hot air rework. It doesn't appear to be to difficult.

They are hitting the blue spectrum hard now instead of the more white spectrum they had to mimic other black boxes now that are using more blue.

Photosynthetic action spectrum.JPG

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hitting the blue spectrum hard now instead of the more white spectrum they had to mimic other black boxes now that are using more blue.

Photosynthetic action spectrum.JPG
Did you get new lights? I thought you had the non smd leds? Have you change any SMD leds?
I watched a couple of videos on how to use a hot air rework and it didn't look all that difficult. It appears the biggest issue is not blow to much hot air on one spot. Can get a hot air rework for about $70.00.
After watching the videos I probably go ahead and order the Mars Aqua lights. Also since they changed led layout.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get new lights? I thought you had the non smd leds? Have you change any SMD leds?
I watched a couple of videos on how to use a hot air rework and it didn't look all that difficult. It appears the biggest issue is not blow to much hot air on one spot. Can get a hot air rework for about $70.00.
After watching the videos I probably go ahead and order the Mars Aqua lights. Also since they changed led layout.

No same old Mars from 2016. Just replaced all my LED's last weekend.

I haven't done SMD's yet.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at some videos, replacing SMD LEDs looks about as easy as any other soldering. However, not sure if I can find any replacements, like 420nm, on eBay from a quick search.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at some videos, replacing SMD LEDs looks about as easy as any other soldering. However, not sure if I can find any replacements, like 420nm, on eBay from a quick search.
I agree. I watched a couple myself. Can get a rework station for $50 on eBay and scrap boards to practice with for .25 cents from Sparkfun.
So I'm going to order my lights today and see what type of leds they to know direction to go.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about the individual LED sizing themselves, Ive only dealt with ones already on star chips. Would the SMD board allow you to do something like buy higher quality “raw” Cree/Philip’s LEDs and hot air them onto the marsaqua SMD?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back