The vampire in your tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One thing we as reef aquarists overlook is the potential to be bitten or stung by inhabitants, but it does happen. Often they are simple stings although referred to as venomous are painful and with ice, heat packs, vinegar and peroxide quickly subside. Some culprits of bites and sting are clownfish, bristleworms, rabbitfish, lionfish and triggers as examples.

have you ever been bitten by a reef specimens and what type?
How can you explain to others what it felt like and what if any reactions ?

For me, stings would be a bristleworms which feels like a burning sensation with needles involved, 3X by lionfish at my LFS while cleaning tanks (they tend to be curious and get too close) and ive been bitten more than once by the ever annoying maroon clownfish which is painless but gets you off guard and you hurt yourself on tank trim and decor from reflex and at my LFS, undulated trigger while netting another fish who actually took skin off my finger and last year in Key west, jellyfish stings on my neck and lower lip. Its a tingling sensation that takes 1-2 hours to wear off.

Undulated:

1689255039451.png

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been bitten by my eels but that’s about it.
I will say that with fish fin stings you don’t want to put ice on it but actually soak the wound in warm water as that deactivated the protein that causes the pain.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rabbit fish stung me once. I put my hand in the tank and he jumped over my hand and just slightly brushed my thumb. It was freekin horrible akin to being stung by fire coral which is also extremely uncomfortable and feels like you fell asleep with your arm in a pizza oven.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish and rabbit fish should go under hot water. As hot as you can stand it.
Yes, I agree. After he stung me, I put him under very hot water, hotter than he could stand.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My rabbit fish stung me once. I put my hand in the tank and he jumped over my hand and just slightly brushed my thumb. It was freekin horrible akin to being stung by fire coral which is also extremely uncomfortable and feels like you fell asleep with your arm in a pizza oven.
I forgot fire coral. Got me in Jamaica and felt like 20 jellyfish stings and not to mention sharp and left me with cuts

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got stung by my foxface: that sucked. Barbed and blood drawn my my purple tang. My female clown in one tank (ironically not my maroon female in my 70 gallon) bites me every time and draws blood while Im feeding them and giving my trigger a snack! Also get stung by my green BTAs in my 70, all the time on my outer elbow.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue throat trigger has gotten my finger. Didn't hurt, didn't draw blood but it startled the hell out of me. I also had a yellowtail Damsel years ago that would attack my hand and arm constantly any time they were in the tank.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes! :grinning-squinting-face: I get pecked by my clowns. It doesn't hurt, just surprises me at first. But I have been accidentally bitten by my Puffy, a 6-7" dogface pufferfish. I was hand feeding and not paying attention. I usually drop the food at the water surface, but must have went too low. I was looking at the lionfish, trying not to get stung, when I felt a pinch on the tip of my finger. I quickly yanked my hand back and looked at it. Luckily no damage! But then I looked in the tank, and said, "Where's Puffy??!!".
Well I heard a noise on the floor, and there was Puffy puffed up with air! I quickly put him in the tank, and he deflated and resumed eating. That was about 6 months ago, and we both laugh about it to this day. Needless to say I use the tongs more now.
Luckily no ill effects came about. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_20201018_161410692.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wesson,my Clarkii, takes a chunk of me every time I get my hands in the tank! Funny thing is I forgot most times and he will still shock me when he does it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bred clowns for a while and they all bit me, not usually to bad but a couple have drawn blood. Lionfish at lfs I worked at got me while I wasnt paying attention. He usually stayed away but I guess during the week had become more bold and inquisitive I only worked 1 maybe 2 days a week. Thats not fun but like above hot water helps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back