Tiny sump?

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’ve posted here many times and have learned a whole collection of things having been informed on how to stock the tank, setup my skimmer and all hosts of things now I’m here with a question about setting a sump/refugium but for a nano tank! Ive got a fluval evo which is 13.5 gallons of water volume Ive learned that in such a small tank every gallon truly does count and was wondering if anyone has any experience with setting up a sump for such a small tank or something of that nature, this sump would either be a 2.5 or 5 gallon or something in that size range, I’d be willing to DIY it but if anyone knows of some premade options I’d also be interested, I’m also wondering how would I go about connecting the fluval evo to the sump? thanks in advance for anyone with any input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all I’ve posted here many times and have learned a whole collection of things having been informed on how to stock the tank, setup my skimmer and all hosts of things now I’m here with a question about setting a sump/refugium but for a nano tank! Ive got a fluval evo which is 13.5 gallons of water volume Ive learned that in such a small tank every gallon truly does count and was wondering if anyone has any experience with setting up a sump for such a small tank or something of that nature, this sump would either be a 2.5 or 5 gallon or something in that size range, I’d be willing to DIY it but if anyone knows of some premade options I’d also be interested, I’m also wondering how would I go about connecting the fluval evo to the sump? thanks in advance for anyone with any input.
While you can, the chamber provided is adequate as long as you maintain it
If you plan to upgrade and sell this tank in the future, drilling and adding a sump may lower value or interest

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not only about "every gallon will count". One of the main functions of the sump is to hide all the filtration equipment so that its not visible, but you have an AIO so you have no need for that purpose.

Adding more gallons doesnt increase the swimming room, so its not like you can have more fish in the tank. In other words, its a little bit pointless to have a sump if you have a AIO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not only about "every gallon will count". One of the main functions of the sump is to hide all the filtration equipment so that its not visible, but you have an AIO so you have no need for that purpose.

Adding more gallons doesnt increase the swimming room, so its not like you can have more fish in the tank. In other words, its a little bit pointless to have a sump if you have a AIO
On nanos it is about every gallon counting and adding more water volume increases stability. I don’t think you can say it’s ever pointless to increase water volume. Probably not worth the effort with this tank op. I would just start saving for an upgrade.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump can be a bucket, primary function is to house equipment....

After that is achieved, everyrhing else is bonus - bigger water volume, refugium, mehanical filtration etc...

On smaller systems i always aim for sump to be at least 50% of tank volume, on larger really dont matter that much....

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 20 and have thought about adding a sump for more water volume for a while now. I completely understand your reasoning. Dont have any advice but do offer encouragement, keep us up to date if you do any mods.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It seems like no one is answering the question asked: DIY options are probably going to be your best option. Amazon, BRS, and other possibly local fish stores all sell baffle kits for aquariums to build a sump. Small sumps are usually pretty far and few between - it's highly unlikely you'll find one in the 2.5-5 gallon range. The back portion of your tank is technically your sump so you do already have one, but if you're looking to increase tank volume for water stability purposes, I'd say get the biggest sump you can fit. Too big of a sump is never really a problem - it just takes away from the nano/macro tank experience. Good luck!

PS: I'm running a 5 gallon AIO with just a light and a sponge. It's running quite well and has been for almost 2 years now, so the sump is not a requirement.

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are using the Evo, if you have an open stand, I'd recommend you use another same sized Evo as the sump and plumb together, like the displays you see in the pet shop, they would be double stacked, visually pleasing to the eye, and the sump can also hold a display refugium, a frag rack, etc. I routinely do this with my standard 75 gallon (with 40 breeder as the sump, within the same foot print) or with the old 68 gallon (which had a 38 gallon sump within the same foot print)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one thing to consider if you are going to use the sump as a full aquarium (refuge/future frag tank) and not a standard sump which is usually half full. MAKE SURE IT CAN HANDLE OVERFLOW. I used a ten gallon tank for my 29 gallon DT, with the added skimmer, return pump, heaters, it was very close to overflowing the DT with a power outtage and that was with siphon breaks on the return.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are using the Evo, if you have an open stand, I'd recommend you use another same sized Evo as the sump and plumb together, like the displays you see in the pet shop, they would be double stacked, visually pleasing to the eye, and the sump can also hold a display refugium, a frag rack, etc. I routinely do this with my standard 75 gallon (with 40 breeder as the sump, within the same foot print) or with the old 68 gallon (which had a 38 gallon sump within the same foot print)
I also am trying to figure out what I’ll do with coral in this nano as I’m sure most of it will eventually grow large enough I’ll have to trim or frag it and thus need to find something to put frags in. So I do find this idea also interesting.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this post is a few weeks old. . . But I stumbled upon it and can’t miss the opportunity to shamelessly plug my nano reef/refugium

A9D586E1-0310-4857-8865-F43BC63B918F.jpeg

I used two fluval tanks of the exact same height and made a water bridge to connect the two. Then used a small pump, smaller than the main pumps, to connect the two tanks and force water back through the bridge. My design realize on a water bridge/siphon, if siphon fails there would be an overflow. . .

if your tank is going to sit above the sump then you’ll need to drill or use an external overflow box.

alternatively you could have a “sump” above the display and have have that overflow (again would need to be drilled or use an external overflow) back to the display.

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make small HOB little refer tanks. I have been considering one for my 20 gallon just so I can run some chaeto to help with nutrient extraction.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post is a few weeks old. . . But I stumbled upon it and can’t miss the opportunity to shamelessly plug my nano reef/refugium

A9D586E1-0310-4857-8865-F43BC63B918F.jpeg

I used two fluval tanks of the exact same height and made a water bridge to connect the two. Then used a small pump, smaller than the main pumps, to connect the two tanks and force water back through the bridge. My design realize on a water bridge/siphon, if siphon fails there would be an overflow. . .

if your tank is going to sit above the sump then you’ll need to drill or use an external overflow box.

alternatively you could have a “sump” above the display and have have that overflow (again would need to be drilled or use an external overflow) back to the display.
Very cool tank but that would scare me a little to much to lose siphon. I gotta ask, how many times did you overflow it? Lol

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool tank but that would scare me a little to much to lose siphon. I gotta ask, how many times did you overflow it? Lol
haven't had an overflow. . . yet. . .

I restart the siphon/remove any air from the bridge weekly when I do my water change.

Also the return pump is mounted high in the "sump" in hopes of limiting the amount of overflow if I do lose siphon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't had an overflow. . . yet. . .

I restart the siphon/remove any air from the bridge weekly when I do my water change.

Also the return pump is mounted high in the "sump" in hopes of limiting the amount of overflow if I do lose siphon
That’s good. At least you are taking steps to mitigate a failure. Best of luck with the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back