'Tis An Innovative Marine 50 Lagoon Build

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 50 Lagoon with 2 XR15 gen 5 blues over it on factory mounts(like 8 inches above the water) Even at 50% point intensity(AB+ spectrum) some of my SPS are whited out that are on a rack 8 inches below the surface of the water.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a biota yellow tang and a cat. Cat's being hairy is how the cat hair one way or another worked its way into the tank with the tang. And after awhile and some algae growth on it is how the cat hair ended up inside of the tangs mouth with just the end of it hanging out. What to do, A)tear the whole tank apart to catch the tang and pull the hair out of its mouth or B)leave it alone and hope for the best. I went with B, it did not end well.
I’m so sorry to hear that! That’s nuts. I had a friend with a gem tang when they were suuuuuper pricy, I’m talking 2500 or so. He glued down a frag and the tang bit the glue and glued its beak shut. He had to take a 220 down and catch the tang before he starved. Fish do dumb things sometime

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 50 Lagoon with 2 XR15 gen 5 blues over it on factory mounts(like 8 inches above the water) Even at 50% point intensity(AB+ spectrum) some of my SPS are whited out that are on a rack 8 inches below the surface of the water.
What are your nutrients like?
I haven’t taken PAR readings yet but the tank gets 3 hrs of blues just for giggles right now

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys!!!
IMG_1040.jpeg

More updates: tank lid is due to arrive on the 22nd. Biota yellow tangs have arrived. My clownfish are laying eggs and I’ll be bringing home some cardinals to test out the waters soon!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrients like?
I haven’t taken PAR readings yet but the tank gets 3 hrs of blues just for giggles right now
Nitrate 10 PPM
Phos .03

so good

Lets see picture of tangs

I replaced my biota yellow with another yellow and 6 months later woke up to it sucked up to the wave pump, it died the next day.
IMG_0509.JPG
That's about $500.0 in fish and nothing to show for it. . So now I replaced that one with a wild caught Purple Tang.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 10 PPM
Phos .03

so good

Lets see picture of tangs

I replaced my biota yellow with another yellow and 6 months later woke up to it sucked up to the wave pump, it died the next day.
IMG_0509.JPG
That's about $500.0 in fish and nothing to show for it. . So now I replaced that one with a wild caught Purple Tang.
So, if you'll hear me out... nutrients are low if your lighting is strong. Give me two months and I'l have something to show for my methods lol

Purple tangs are nice. I'm doing a trio of biota yellow tangs and maybe a desjardini

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait a second.. you planning to add 4 tangs in 50g? You might end up having issues with aggression though :D

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait a second.. you planning to add 4 tangs in 50g? You might end up having issues with aggression though :D
They have a 300 to go into once they get spicy :) right now they’re in a 60 until I throw a tester fish in here. Since my clowns are laying eggs I don’t want to use them to make sure stuff is okay

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up putting the clowns in here bc I want to be picky with my fish selection and these guys are my favorite! They’ve been with me for 4-5 years now

IMG_1138.jpeg
IMG_1136.jpeg
Nice looking clowns!

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update @Kraken Reef lid arrived today and I’m very happy with it! I made minor alterations to the rock structure adding some more height to it and there’s a mushroom and a Monti cap in here as testers. I might bring home a green slimer this week as well.
ICP is going out tomorrow to see what all is in the water and we shall go from there!

IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update @Kraken Reef lid arrived today and I’m very happy with it! I made minor alterations to the rock structure adding some more height to it and there’s a mushroom and a Monti cap in here as testers. I might bring home a green slimer this week as well.
ICP is going out tomorrow to see what all is in the water and we shall go from there!

IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg
Lid looks great! Heard they always do a good job

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have same tank and that just seems like a crazzzzy amount of light . I had a red sea reefer 750 at one point with 3 xr30s lol . I only have 2 ai primes right now and it grows lps fine. I am planning to upgrade to a hybrid or reefbreeders once it all fills out however. Well at least you know you can grow anything lol. You will love the tank though, control board and clowns look good !!. Did you decide on skimmer? The pls 50 on mode went down to 99.99 just like the amazon counterparts now. Are you running double media baskets now?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a ext 50 to use as a frag system to compliment my ext 170 im also working on.
I will run 2 xr15 blues. I was going to do 3, as I have 5, from my previous build. 3 was way more than I needed based on par from my last system that was the same height.
Anyway you can always turn them down, lol.
I will be doing the same, turning them down, running 2 RB 50's, on the 170.
I am using T slot extrusions to mount them for anyone that does not like the rms mounts. You can use Tnuts and bolts to attatch it to the stand if you want.
Keep the pics commimg as I am curious as to what levels you will run the 30's at.
20240130_083228.jpg

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! I just upgraded to the 50 lagoon early this January. Just added an XR30 and wish I could add one more!
Congrats!! It’s such a nice tank! I’ve had it on my wishlist for years now :)
I only added these bc I had them laying around. Otherwise I prob would have only done 1-2 or 1 and some orphex bars

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back