Titanium Heaters

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited space in my sump and would like to make the switch from eheim to a titanium option. The reviews and all of the stay away threads for the rebranded BRS ones have removed them from the list. What is everyone using and would you buy them again?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't see what can go wrong with a titanium heater. No glass to break. No thermostat. No built in electronics. It's just a metal tube that gets hot. I have several finnex branded ones. No particular reason why for them except that they are the right price on Amazon. Obviously you need a thermostat to plug them into.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned numerous over the years I would rate Innovative Marine's Helio at the top although somewhat pricey. A less expensive option would be Inkbird.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Finnex heaters. I have had one fail on me. I use two heaters in the tank that had the one fail, plus I always keep a spare, so it wasn’t a big deal.
Overall I’m still fairly happy with them, despite the one failure.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't see what can go wrong with a titanium heater. No glass to break. No thermostat. No built in electronics. It's just a metal tube that gets hot. I have several finnex branded ones. No particular reason why for them except that they are the right price on Amazon. Obviously you need a thermostat to plug them into.
Main reports for the BRS is they stop working. I will be controlling via apex.

butcherreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the brs titanium dual heater, have not had any problems with it at all. House can be 65 degrees and the heater will hold a nice 78.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned numerous over the years I would rate Innovative Marine's Helio at the top although somewhat pricey. A less expensive option would be Inkbird.
I saw they have a new version that only connects to the helios controller which is a bit annoying. Maybe I can find the older version somewhere.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited space in my sump and would like to make the switch from eheim to a titanium option. The reviews and all of the stay away threads for the rebranded BRS ones have removed them from the list. What is everyone using and would you buy them again?
I use both Finnex (https://amzn.to/3UaRSPT) and Helio (https://amzn.to/3SowHbP) titanium heaters. Love them both. The helio ones are easier to control and come with awesome magnetic mounts, and also have alarms which will sound if the temp gets too high or too low, or if the element senses it is no longer submersed in water.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ones from 200 to 1000w from aquatop without issue. The larger ones needed the added controller. I believe they are rebranded finnex.

I set the temp on the internal thermostat of the heater and then use my apex as a back up

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS models. I have had one go bad and they replaced it under warranty.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reports for the BRS is they stop working.
Heaters are the most common failing piece of equipment we have. The titanium ones are at least far more reliable than the kinds with a built in thermostat. Basically just - the wire and the pole. There's not much to them. I wouldn't get one that has anything integrated. Totally defeats the purpose of using such simple equipment.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
been using two 100w titanium heaters from BRS. 0 issues. both are working still.

plan on upgrading one to a 200w-300w since the winters have gotten colder for me. maybe upgrade both.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. I use 2x 300w in one tank, 2x 100w in the other. I always put them in the display because that's where the most water is (and the fish love them) but I understand most people like to hide them away in the sump.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters are the most common failing piece of equipment we have. The titanium ones are at least far more reliable than the kinds with a built in thermostat. Basically just - the wire and the pole. There's not much to them. I wouldn't get one that has anything integrated. Totally defeats the purpose of using such simple equipment.
I get that, but frequent failing within the initial 6 months is not an acceptable timeframe for a heater.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Helios are nice, but i'm not a fan of the controller - i feel it's hit or miss with issues. Also use finnex but i don't like the plastic guard that comes on it as found it tends to collect more precipitate and junk on it... so i usually rip it off... Haven't used BRS.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frequent failing within the initial 6 months
That's why I use finnex and not brs... I've had two of these for about 8 years, knock on wood.

Though the entire point of doubling them up is redundancy so I'm not sure I would have noticed if one in a pair failed.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS. Had one go bad out of the 7 or 8 I have. My buddy has a few of my originals and they are still working. They are 3 or 4 years old now. The one of mine that went bad was replaced no questions asked and I had it in a couple days.

I have a couple Finnex in the backup box. They have been fine as well. The BRS failure rate is miniscule. The common issues were early on and it was the 200 and 600w models. SCHEGO figured out the issue and resolved it.

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using redundant Finnex titanium heaters in both 150g (300w each) and 280g (800w each) systems. Profilux4 controls them. Longest running is 3 years without issue. I do shift from primary to backup each January to load balance the duty cycle.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back