Torch Coral acting weird

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this torch about a month and it has been doing well up til now. It is usually extended a lot and swaying in the flow. But now, its open but its tentacles are really short. Its been like this for 4 days. I also have a frogspawn thats been acting similar, but it is splitting to grow a head but the torch is not doing any splitting that I know of. If you have any ideas please let me know what you think is causing my torch to act this way. My parameters have also stayed relatively similar for a long time and the rest of the inhabitants are doing fine. Current params: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, .15 phos, 9kh, and I do not have a test kit for cal or mag yet.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, forgot a pic

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 7.04.23 PM.png

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe with weekly water changes it’s stripping some beneficial nutrients. My torches do this when I basically ‘clean’ the tank. I always just do some heavy feeding everyday and they fluff up

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe with weekly water changes it’s stripping some beneficial nutrients. My torches do this when I basically ‘clean’ the tank. I always just do some heavy feeding everyday and they fluff up
You may be right because I am also running gfo. I only change 10% though, would you consider that a significant amount? I also tried feeding the torch and it did eat a bit but it still looks the same.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons? Yeah I think it has to do that. I was having the same issue and when you think of it, it’s like they’re starving for nutrients you know. You can easily fluff them up in a couple days by just feeding the next couple days and no water change at least for 2 weeks :)

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons? Yeah I think it has to do that. I was having the same issue and when you think of it, it’s like they’re starving for nutrients you know. You can easily fluff them up in a couple days by just feeding the next couple days and no water change at least for 2 weeks :)
I have a 20 gallon tank and I have been changing 2 gallons a week. A few days ago my acan was acting similar but it was only for one or two days and it fluffed up again. Hopefully it will be like the acan.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank and I have been changing 2 gallons a week. A few days ago my acan was acting similar but it was only for one or two days and it fluffed up again. Hopefully it will be like the acan.
How many times you feed? And what do you feed? Also, any fish?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my clownfish pair, firefish, and royal gramma Prime Reef Flakes twice a day. Once in morning and once at night. I feed just a small pinch everytime so that all the food is eaten at once. All the other corals currently are duncans, goniopora, gorgonian, zoas, candy cane, acan, frogspawn, torch, and birdnest. I feed the corals reef roids twice a week.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a branching torch? I'm no expert but when I get heads ready to split my torches do this, I freak out and wait it out and they always come back. Are other corals in the tank happy? Any other torches?
I believe it is branching. I do not think it is splitting though because its mouth looks the same but I can never be to sure.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you can get some more test kits and see what your other numbers are....phos swings can cause upset corals. Not sure if thats happening but worth checking all numbers;)

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can get some more test kits and see what your other numbers are....phos swings can cause upset corals. Not sure if thats happening but worth checking all numbers;)
My phos has stayed at around .15 for a while now.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my clownfish pair, firefish, and royal gramma Prime Reef Flakes twice a day. Once in morning and once at night. I feed just a small pinch everytime so that all the food is eaten at once. All the other corals currently are duncans, goniopora, gorgonian, zoas, candy cane, acan, frogspawn, torch, and birdnest. I feed the corals reef roids twice a week.
I feed the same thing and I have reef roids. I think it’s the GFO

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the same thing and I have reef roids. I think it’s the GFO
Really? I had so much algae before I've been using it for a month and it has really stopped and my phosphate is only at .15. I'll give the torch a few more days before I decide to change anything yet.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the GFO and feed heavier and cut back on water changes.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check my magnesium and calcium levels to make sure my corals had the proper levels to split if they wanted to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back