Torch looking weird

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change water like every 2 months with my skimmer and algae I have a stable nutrient levels tank nitrates stay a 5 to 10. Nothing has bugged the coral. I have a live feed video on my tank that I watched.
Nitrates are too high they should be less than five at all times and you need to do water changes more often they suggest 20% every other week I do 20% every week if you're waiting that long between water changes if you're not adding Trace elements it will deplete them corals depend on these Trace elements to survive

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral have an allge and if they become stressed they expel this LG out its mouth and it will soon die because it won't have dlg to photosynthesize with
Corals contain a special alge to perform photosynthesis with if you have a stringy Brown material coming from the mouth of the coral it is releasing the good LG that is needed for photosynthesis if it does not have this it will not photosynthesize and you cannot feed it it will die guaranteed

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol..... ummm What???
Brown stringy appearance coming from its mouth it is a alge that gives the ability of the coral to photosynthesize without these Brown LG it loses the ability to photosynthesize and it cannot be replaced by feeding this Coral should be moved to isolation tank so the rest of your torch corals don't end up the same move it out quick because if it is a disease specific to this Coral you don't want to spread it your other ones look great how many gallons tank and do you have a refugium filter your water changes are way too far apart losing a lot of Trace elements you can buy it in the bottle and try to keep up with it it's like dialing in a dosage pump you need to know exactly how much is leaving and knew how much to replace without going under or over the healthy parameters of the coral

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking about an enemies anymore anatomies live on mostly food with some photosynthesis you clearly have a very stressed torch coral you need to isolate it in an isolation tank watch your other corals to make sure nothing is happening keep an eye on them I take pictures every week so I can see what is happening or not happening and what I should do to take care of the problem I was in reef tank for about 10 years got smart got rid of it and a lot of stress but now I'm back with total new technologies you are not doing your corals any good doing water changes that far apart you're not making up any Trace elements and are you using rodi water

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking about an enemies anymore anatomies live on mostly food with some photosynthesis you clearly have a very stressed torch coral you need to isolate it in an isolation tank watch your other corals to make sure nothing is happening keep an eye on them I take pictures every week so I can see what is happening or not happening and what I should do to take care of the problem I was in reef tank for about 10 years got smart got rid of it and a lot of stress but now I'm back with total new technologies you are not doing your corals any good doing water changes that far apart you're not making up any Trace elements and are you using rodi water
Don't buy into LED lights tried them no good back to the metal halide

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change water like every 2 months with my skimmer and algae I have a stable nutrient levels tank nitrates stay a 5 to 10. Nothing has bugged the coral. I have a live feed video on my tank that I if yo
You are really hurting the corals by not doing water changes at least 10% every week and 20% every other week that's the minimum standard 4 water changes so you trace elements don't get too low you should probably also have your water tested where you get your corals and ask them if they keep them in a isolation tank my provider does not so I have one everything that's introduced into the tank spends 10 days in isolation are you showing any red LG on the tank or components

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really hurting the corals by not doing water changes at least 10% every week and 20% every other week that's the minimum standard 4 water changes so you trace elements don't get too low you should probably also have your water tested where you get your corals and ask them if they keep them in a isolation tank my provider does not so I have one everything that's introduced into the tank spends 10 days in isolation are you showing any red LG on the tank or components
Anything about 5 for nitrates is way too high for Coral and you should have no ammonia water changes make your Coral healthy and give them the trace elements back that have been absorbed out of the water do you dose calcium pH nitrates phosphates nowadays Trace elements are the key especially if you're trying SPS corals but lbs corals do needed to

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to say algae my phone makes its a LG
Corals have a brown algae that live in cohesive with if you see a brown string coming out of its mouth it is losing the brown algae so they will not be able to do photosynthesis the start of this coming out of the corals mouth needs to be immediately addressed if it's happening otherwise I suggest you isolate the stressed torch and watch your other ones every couple of hours things can go bad fast and you need to do water changes a lot more your Coral dealer will back that up

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see this happening remove it quickly into an isolation tank as it may pass a disease towards the others and the lack of water change will only make the disease stronger can you isolate

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see this leaving the mouth of the coral you have in question isolated as fast as you can and go talk to your core of dealer he'll tell you you need to change the water a lot more than you are remember it's just a dirty old swimming pool until you change the water and make it a thriving environment For the corals

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a read.... ok what are your parameters, 560 cal is kinda high. If your parameters are stable, then check for bugs. A quick dip goes a long way

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do I dose 8.4 to keep pH constant I dose calcium twice a week and I use this new food called Reef fuel works very well it made my corals open more and look a lot better highly recommended I have 0 nitrates 0 monia but you're not nitrates can be has high as 5 but you really want to stay around 2 to 3 Carl's do need nitrates but my anatomy is far from settling down the last tank guy had I had a carpet an enemy it would eat the new fish everyday I would put one in it would be gone the next

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a read.... ok what are your parameters, 560 cal is kinda high. If your parameters are stable, then check for bugs. A quick dip goes a long way
Yeah I just talked to text so Mike grammar looks really well along with my punctuation but as long as you're getting the information you should be good how often are you doing water changes and what amounts very important

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do I dose 8.4 to keep pH constant I dose calcium twice a week and I use this new food called Reef fuel works very well it made my corals open more and look a lot better highly recommended I have 0 nitrates 0 monia but you're not nitrates can be has high as 5 but you really want to stay around 2 to 3 Carl's do need nitrates but my anatomy is far from settling down the last tank guy had I had a carpet an enemy it would eat the new fish everyday I would put one in it would be gone the next
I also use this liquid charcoal that really cleans the water well you just have to stay on top of it makes it very very clear

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful dipping into freshwater a little can go too far but it's good for fish and a light dose on the coral calciums structure but not on its tentacles

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back