Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, it is only testing alk twice a day now, noon and midnight.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I was getting a no sample error and long story short the 6 way was clogged on the sample inlet. This has got to be one of those maintenance items since the passage ways are so small. I was able to remove it and use a staple to clean it. Appears to have been just salt build up and not detritus like I expected.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, so now that the Trident has been released, we wanted to create a new thread with links to the information out there on the Trident as well as answer, to the best of our ability, additional questions from hobbyists. From that feedback, we will update our official FAQ with those questions when it seems like they will be "Frequently Asked."

We hope that this thread can stay on topic, stay productive and also does not devolve with unhelpful posts from those that may have no real interest in the Trident, and whose only desire is to foment unrest.

The Trident goes/went on sale at midnight, PDT, 5/8/2019.

Here are the links:

Launch video: https://bit.ly/2PX0oPm
Product page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/
Official FAQ: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/
Trident Support Information Page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/
Neptune Systems Community Trident Forum: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Trident-Marine-Aquarium-Water-Analyzer
Reagent Ordering: https://www.neptunesystems.com/reagents
5/7 #LetsTalkReef livestream: https://bit.ly/2vOZcEu
5/8 Launch Day Update: https://bit.ly/2WHBKVL

Here are additional questions we have answered already in this thread and, likely, elsewhere.

What is Trident?
Automatic, continuous water tester for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Do I need an Apex to use a Trident?
Yes

How many tests does Trident perform per day?
The Trident has the option to run as few as 4 test cycles per day up to 24 test cycles per day. The test cycles alternate between testing only alkalinity and testing all three parameters. The 4/2/2 schedule will result in 4 alkalinity tests per day, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests.

Can I test more or less than the minimum schedule or in any different combination?
No, the provided schedules are necessary to maintain proper operation.

I don't want to test calcium or magnesium every day, can I turn those tests off?
No. The Trident alternates between testing all 3 (alk, cal, mag) and single alkalinity tests.

Installation

How far from my tank can I place Trident?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances! We suggest keeping the Trident less than 4ft from the tank or sump.

Can I cut or extend the sample line tubing?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances!

Should I place the Trident above my water line? Below?
It can be placed wherever the tube reaches but placing it below the waterline can risk a siphon to occur and drain water from your tank should something disconnect the sample tube.

Reagent Info

How long in between reagent replacement?
Reagents will last 2 months when testing on the 4/2/2 schedule.

What is the reagent shelf-life?
1 year when sealed.

Can the reagents get cold? Hot?
Reagents should be kept at room temperature and not exposed to bright sunlight.

Is there a reagent subscription plan?
It's possible if there is interest - let us know!

Maintenance Info

What do I need to do to maintain Trident?
Besides replacing reagents and letting it calibrate with a standard solution every couple of months, it is suggested to perform service on the Trident roughly every 18-24 months.

Can I perform the servicing myself?
Yes! You will be able to order a maintenance kit for less than $100. We are still determining all of the necessary included components and since this is quite a bit into the future, we want to get it right and not require too much or too little to be done.

Are there other servicing options?
Neptune Systems will offer an advanced replacement servicing option for between $150-$200 - there are not further details at this time.

Do I have to ship my Trident into Neptune Systems for the this servicing?
No! If you decide to service the unit yourself, then you do not have to ship the unit in. If we do the maintenance, there will be an advanced replacement option available - details to be released later. BUT NO DOWN TIME!

Automatic Dosing Control

Can Trident control my dosing pump to keep everything stable?
Yes, when paired with one or many Neptune DOS, the Apex will use the Trident data to safely and intelligently adjust dosing based on recent test results.

Will automatic dosing control work with my 3rd party dosing pump?
The short answer is no. However, since the Trident is providing the testing data back to the Apex, if you have an "on/off" type dosing pump, you could come up with your own dosing programming to use that data in different ways.

How does controlled dosing work?
After each Trident test, The Apex will use the Trident data to update the DOS head linked to each test and make small adjustments to attempt to course-correct and maintain stable parameters. If you typically dose 10ml of alkalinity, enabling controlled dosing will give the Trident the ability to change that dosage by 1-2ml depending on test results. There are safety limits in place to prevent a runaway condition that could harm your tank.

Do I need 2 DOSs to use dosing control?
No. You can choose to activate controlled dosing for a single parameter if you'd like. A single DOS can be used to control alkalinity and calcium, leaving magnesium to be manually dosed, for example.

What happens if Trident controlled dosing isn't working? Will it harm my tank?
Trident controlled dosing is very clever about not dosing too much or too little additive. Controlled dosing is only activated while the test results are within an expected range. If Trident + DOS control results in numbers that aren't staying stable, controlled dosing will temporarily be shut off and you will receive an alert to intervene. Dosing will go back to your baseline dosing value in the interim.

Can I use Trident with my calcium reactor?
At the moment, we don't have a task created to help program direct calcium reactor support, but it can be done through advanced programming. Another method would be to use the calcium reactor for 90% replenishment and use Trident + DOS to dose liquid additives for the remaining 10% of usage. This also adds a bit of redundancy if your calcium reactor ever goes offline.

When are the said maintenance kits going to be available. it would be great to see Neptune maintenance instructions to follow. I am coming up on a year and am starting to question some of the tests. i’m thinking there could start to be build up in lines and distribution inlets as well as test vile. Any updates you can share on this?

Thanks in Advance

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they stated to keep the box because you would have to ship it to them for the maintenance to take place, not done at home.

U

User1

View Badges
no there is supposed to be an option to order a diy kit to do at home also for like around $100

Correct on home kit - not sure about the pricing yet. It was discussed a while back in one of the live streams they did on the Trident. I am not sure if any other information has come out regarding the scheduled maintenance be it send in or home kit. I recall another video they did that they even considered a stock pile of tridents in the office which would allow you to send in your unit with them immediately sending you a different one for a quicker turn around time.

What that tells me is that they are looking at the whole process to offer what makes the most sense for everyone. This is turn around time at base, logistics of shipping, and success rate of home inspection kits. Makes sense to me because you want the highest success rate with lower cost for the end user and company. If they rush then they will get a lot more support tickets which isn't good for anyone (not that it is about them or tickets).

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best solution is to train LFS folks to do this. I can make an appointment with my LFS bring the unit in and pick it up the next day.... This way it is done by a trained person not just me.

U

User1

View Badges
I think the best solution is to train LFS folks to do this. I can make an appointment with my LFS bring the unit in and pick it up the next day.... This way it is done by a trained person not just me.

Similar concept for scuba diving gear - although wise to take to a authorized dealer, etc. I guess this would be the same. yeah - could work.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am out of reagent B and C, and still waiting for them to come. Currently, it is only testing Alk only.

So my question is, can Trident still gives accurate reading of Alk even though reagent B and C are out?

The reason I am asking is because since the Trident stopped testing for Cal and Mag, it has been giving weird Alk test results. It has been giving same exact test results in a row eventhough I dosed my tank 6 hours earlier. This did not happen before when it was testing all parameters.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had a problem with the led inside the trident? On mine the blue stopped working when it’s testing. The orange one completely stoped working and the red one is solid sometimes it will flash on and off. There is no error showing on apex dashboard. It still is testing when it should.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say mixed bag. Yes it works as advertised so with that I am happy. It is ridiculous that reagents aren't easily available. Just don't get how the thing that makes this operate is just not readily available. I buy 2 boxes at a time when I see them but it shouldn't be this way more than a year in.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so now that the Trident has been released, we wanted to create a new thread with links to the information out there on the Trident as well as answer, to the best of our ability, additional questions from hobbyists. From that feedback, we will update our official FAQ with those questions when it seems like they will be "Frequently Asked."

We hope that this thread can stay on topic, stay productive and also does not devolve with unhelpful posts from those that may have no real interest in the Trident, and whose only desire is to foment unrest.

The Trident goes/went on sale at midnight, PDT, 5/8/2019.

Here are the links:

Launch video: https://bit.ly/2PX0oPm
Product page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/
Official FAQ: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/
Trident Support Information Page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/
Neptune Systems Community Trident Forum: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Trident-Marine-Aquarium-Water-Analyzer
Reagent Ordering: https://www.neptunesystems.com/reagents
5/7 #LetsTalkReef livestream: https://bit.ly/2vOZcEu
5/8 Launch Day Update: https://bit.ly/2WHBKVL

Here are additional questions we have answered already in this thread and, likely, elsewhere.

What is Trident?
Automatic, continuous water tester for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Do I need an Apex to use a Trident?
Yes

How many tests does Trident perform per day?
The Trident has the option to run as few as 4 test cycles per day up to 24 test cycles per day. The test cycles alternate between testing only alkalinity and testing all three parameters. The 4/2/2 schedule will result in 4 alkalinity tests per day, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests.

Can I test more or less than the minimum schedule or in any different combination?
No, the provided schedules are necessary to maintain proper operation.

I don't want to test calcium or magnesium every day, can I turn those tests off?
No. The Trident alternates between testing all 3 (alk, cal, mag) and single alkalinity tests.

Installation

How far from my tank can I place Trident?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances! We suggest keeping the Trident less than 4ft from the tank or sump.

Can I cut or extend the sample line tubing?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances!

Should I place the Trident above my water line? Below?
It can be placed wherever the tube reaches but placing it below the waterline can risk a siphon to occur and drain water from your tank should something disconnect the sample tube.

Reagent Info

How long in between reagent replacement?
Reagents will last 2 months when testing on the 4/2/2 schedule.

What is the reagent shelf-life?
1 year when sealed.

Can the reagents get cold? Hot?
Reagents should be kept at room temperature and not exposed to bright sunlight.

Is there a reagent subscription plan?
It's possible if there is interest - let us know!

Maintenance Info

What do I need to do to maintain Trident?
Besides replacing reagents and letting it calibrate with a standard solution every couple of months, it is suggested to perform service on the Trident roughly every 18-24 months.

Can I perform the servicing myself?
Yes! You will be able to order a maintenance kit for less than $100. We are still determining all of the necessary included components and since this is quite a bit into the future, we want to get it right and not require too much or too little to be done.

Are there other servicing options?
Neptune Systems will offer an advanced replacement servicing option for between $150-$200 - there are not further details at this time.

Do I have to ship my Trident into Neptune Systems for the this servicing?
No! If you decide to service the unit yourself, then you do not have to ship the unit in. If we do the maintenance, there will be an advanced replacement option available - details to be released later. BUT NO DOWN TIME!

Automatic Dosing Control

Can Trident control my dosing pump to keep everything stable?
Yes, when paired with one or many Neptune DOS, the Apex will use the Trident data to safely and intelligently adjust dosing based on recent test results.

Will automatic dosing control work with my 3rd party dosing pump?
The short answer is no. However, since the Trident is providing the testing data back to the Apex, if you have an "on/off" type dosing pump, you could come up with your own dosing programming to use that data in different ways.

How does controlled dosing work?
After each Trident test, The Apex will use the Trident data to update the DOS head linked to each test and make small adjustments to attempt to course-correct and maintain stable parameters. If you typically dose 10ml of alkalinity, enabling controlled dosing will give the Trident the ability to change that dosage by 1-2ml depending on test results. There are safety limits in place to prevent a runaway condition that could harm your tank.

Do I need 2 DOSs to use dosing control?
No. You can choose to activate controlled dosing for a single parameter if you'd like. A single DOS can be used to control alkalinity and calcium, leaving magnesium to be manually dosed, for example.

What happens if Trident controlled dosing isn't working? Will it harm my tank?
Trident controlled dosing is very clever about not dosing too much or too little additive. Controlled dosing is only activated while the test results are within an expected range. If Trident + DOS control results in numbers that aren't staying stable, controlled dosing will temporarily be shut off and you will receive an alert to intervene. Dosing will go back to your baseline dosing value in the interim.

Can I use Trident with my calcium reactor?
At the moment, we don't have a task created to help program direct calcium reactor support, but it can be done through advanced programming. Another method would be to use the calcium reactor for 90% replenishment and use Trident + DOS to dose liquid additives for the remaining 10% of usage. This also adds a bit of redundancy if your calcium reactor ever goes offline.
I have my apex controlling my co2 solenoid. I use the reading from my trident and my apex does it’s thing . Turning on if calcium is below 350 and off above 475

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question.. can we use the trident to test our cal reactors.. meaning to say... can it read high ALK levels.. or will it give an error.. I tested samples from salt water make up ect and love it.. I simply take a glass of new made up salt water.. prime the sample line and tell it to do a combined test.. wondering if I can do that for the Calcium Reactor effluent.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident is very reliable.. however, it is not something you can use to read the effluent from a calcium reactor.

Back