If you own a Trident, do you still perform manual tests?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel compelled to chime in here. I own a Trident and have stopped testing for ALK, Ca, and Mg. I'll probably still run a manual test every three months or so. For my part, I think the Trident introduces impartiality into the test. You're eliminating observational bias, and I haven't seen the sample data, but I'd bet an amount of money significant to me that the Trident is more accurate and precise than any rando tester out there. I trust it, it works well, and it makes my life easier. In reading through this thread, it looks like there is a ton of paranoia out there

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The Trident for me isn't about chasing a specific number - it's about keeping things stable at whatever number my tank happens to be at given all that I've got set up. For that reason, using a different testing method would actually be counter to my goal. Or rather; it would only be testing the testing method - not telling me anything useful about my tank.
This!! I dont look for a specific number i look for consistency. I will only test if something appears off or completely out of whack. I do test every few days, nitrates and phosphates however.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't routinely do manual tests. I generally only test if something starts to look off to determine if I need to recalibrate the trident of adjust CA reactor flow or dosing. Generally my focus is only on Alk. Note when I first installed the trident I tested more often to get comfortable with how consistent it is.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back