Triton Sump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combo of orbit marine and 5600k led
The 5600k is 24 hours and the marine is on day schedule

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing we are experimenting with at UC is using a cheato ball instead of a typical refugium sections. In the first section of the filter where the water inputs from the display tank you would want to baffle the water to minimize air bubbles from entering. Then using a small powerhead and a spray bar, create a looping current that will slowly tumble the cheato. Tumbling the algae will keep it clean, exposure more of it to the light and result in a cleaner first sump chamber. The second section would feature the skimmer, fluidized media reactor(s) and heater and finally the last section the return pump.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my triton sump. The red macro is a gracilaria sp. and I have to remove a third of it every 2-3 weeks. I also have codium that forms balls tumbling in there. I recently discovered what I think is blue octodes growing in my overflow so I put some of that in there as well. I used to have some chaeto as well but it didn't stay together with the other algaes so I removed it. I think the chaeto may be more affective as I've seen amazing growth with this type of fuge, but I went with the pretty macros instead. The link is to a video but photo bucket isn't cooperating with me today so I don't know if it will work.:)

I added half of a x130 gyre to keep the macros tumbling. Lighting is an AI Vega and a LED flood light. I used 2 of these flood lights for a year with good growth, I just wanted to repurpose my vega after taking down the tank it was on.

I keep some live rock rubble in there for all the pods and starfish as well as "Peppie" the peppermint shrimp. You can also rubber band some algaes to the rock.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with a large enough area ( approx 24" X 20" minimum ), these fixtures are great for green algaes, I switched from 3k 24" T5s with parabolic reflectors to these fixtures at 40% on my ATS for 180g show tank back in March and saw significant benefit. I let someone borrow one for a week above chaeto and he saw enough improvment in just 1 week he went and bought one too. Now at least 3 others in our club run this fixture for algae. Just be sure you get the dimmable ( be sure in the pics you can see the knob ) so that you can make adjustments. Lots of sellers on ebay but going rate is about $110.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectr...ant-Growing-/171429198195?hash=item27e9f9f973

Last edited:
OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really check out the Reef Radiance Refugium lights. They are half the cost and bright. I have two DM5e's tlak with Rick.

This could save you lots of money.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the height of mine very close and they have a very wide beam.

Back