Tropic Marin hydrometer

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend buying a Refractometer instead. Much more reliable and accurate.. in my opinion at least. Such as this one below

Screenshot_20210206-143120_Amazon Shopping.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend buying a Refractometer instead. Much more reliable and accurate.. in my opinion at least. Such as this one below

Screenshot_20210206-143120_Amazon Shopping.jpg
That is just incorrect. The tropic marine hydrometer is hands down the most reliable and accurate tool. That's way they are used in labs as well as in our hobby

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just incorrect. The tropic marine hydrometer is hands down the most reliable and accurate tool. That's way they are used in labs as well as in our hobby
You may be correct but my experience with any hydromoters has been anything but stellar.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be correct but my experience with any hydromoters has been anything but stellar.
Your thinking of swing arm hydrometers. And your correct about those. Floating hydrometers are a different animal though

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thinking of swing arm hydrometers. And your correct about those. Floating hydrometers are a different animal though
I've had different readings with the one I had. I also did not like the thought of using mercury and or lead around my reef. Maybe it was user error on my end.. lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had different readings with the one I had. I also did not like the thought of using mercury and or lead around my reef. Maybe it was user error on my end.. lol
Possibly due to temperature variation? If your water isn't the correct temp that the hydrometer is set up for then you have to do a conversion to get the correct salinity

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly due to temperature variation? If your water isn't the correct temp that the hydrometer is set up for then you have to do a conversion to get the correct salinity
Yeah there's a few nice calculators out there for easy conversion.

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went looking for the one I have, I believe it's a Dr.Marine and when I was having issues with it I remember reading that others had issues with where the printed paper sleeve was inside the glass and some even reported that they would see the sleeve move front time to time. I saw an article that someone even bought 2 at the same time and had different readings. So In turn I kinda wrote it off as a waste.

Maybe you'll have better luck with that brand but I went back to the trusty Refractometer. Easy to calibrate and never had issues.

Best of luck!

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the have also cylinder?
I didn't find it on Marine Depot but I bought a suitable cylinder on Amazon. I use a Milwaukee MA887 most of the time and use the TM for backup and verification of the Milwaukee readings. Used correctly and understanding the temp adjustment (although at the temp range one should be keeping thier tank a 1-2 degree difference is negligible), the TM Hydrometer is very accurate. The down side is it is large/long and delicate.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went looking for the one I have, I believe it's a Dr.Marine and when I was having issues with it I remember reading that others had issues with where the printed paper sleeve was inside the glass and some even reported that they would see the sleeve move front time to time. I saw an article that someone even bought 2 at the same time and had different readings. So In turn I kinda wrote it off as a waste.

Maybe you'll have better luck with that brand but I went back to the trusty Refractometer. Easy to calibrate and never had issues.

Best of luck!
Gotcha. I have also heard someone say that their paper moved so it wasn't accurate anymore. But mine is very old and still spot on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back