Tunze or Ecotech?

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I'm going to be starting a new build with a 93 gal cube 30x30x24(which I'm going to be picking up this weekend!!). I'm looking into pumps and want some input.

I have 2 mp10s on my 32 gal and love them but i'm looking at the tunze turbelle nanostream 6095 or mp40/mp10 for this new build. What would you choose and why?

I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews if these tunze pumps and was hoping to get some feedback on what experiences people have had with them.

TIA!

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, great question; cubes are super hard to get flow correct in. I always like the option of having a greater quantity of small pumps in a cube than two big ones pushing so much water around. There will be dead spots no matter what you do with two MP40's, and if you dial them up high to get rid of dead spots your corals will get upset. I'd go with the Tunze, and place several around your tank once you have your scape in to check flow rates and deadspots. For flow, just put some rods in the water with a strip of cloth to see where the flow is going, and move them around. The Tunze pumps are still cheaper than the MP10's, so I'd get at least three, and since you can turn them down start low at first and just play with it until you get what you like.
What kind of tank is it going to be? mixed, LPS, SPS, softie? That makes a big difference on how many as well as placement. Also barebottom or sand?
congrats on getting that tank! It's a beauty!

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, great question; cubes are super hard to get flow correct in. I always like the option of having a greater quantity of small pumps in a cube than two big ones pushing so much water around. There will be dead spots no matter what you do with two MP40's, and if you dial them up high to get rid of dead spots your corals will get upset. I'd go with the Tunze, and place several around your tank once you have your scape in to check flow rates and deadspots. For flow, just put some rods in the water with a strip of cloth to see where the flow is going, and move them around. The Tunze pumps are still cheaper than the MP10's, so I'd get at least three, and since you can turn them down start low at first and just play with it until you get what you like.
What kind of tank is it going to be? mixed, LPS, SPS, softie? That makes a big difference on how many as well as placement. Also barebottom or sand?
congrats on getting that tank! It's a beauty!

Good question, and great advice with the flow indicator!

I'll be doing an SPS dominant mixed reef with sand

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, i prefer the tunze, they are quieter. I feel the flow patterns will always be debated, but in my office the quieter pump always wins in my book.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies! Definitely will help me make some decisions. What about a gyre? I've heard good and really bad things about them.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the replies! Definitely will help me make some decisions. What about a gyre? I've heard good and really bad things about them.

Gyre would give best flow for that kind of tank without a doubt. The gyre are a solid product now.
Otherwise Tunze because they are aim-able, are always reliable, and Rodger has the best support.
EchoTech pumps main advantage it the pump is on the outside of the tank which allows for less heat transfer if that is a issue but usually on smaller tanks. It also safer having the cords outside the tanks. They are not aim-able though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back