Turtle's Fairy Tale

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have packages... I wonder what is inside...

Screenshot_20180511-155110.jpg
upload_2018-5-11_17-54-41.jpeg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys and your “reef safe fish” I have an urge to push limits. Picked up a couple of butterflies I haven’t had a chance to work with all that well yet. Let’s see how this goes!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys and your “reef safe fish” I have an urge to push limits. Picked up a couple of butterflies I haven’t had a chance to work with all that well yet. Let’s see how this goes!

I wouldn't call a coral beauty 100% reef safe. More like 50%. Tangs have been known to go rogue on occasion also. Plus, I have a big scary predator... ok, he's not big or scary.

20180504_224415.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.... is that the Tomini??? :p :p
Sure is! WYSIWYG and all. Saw him on the preview for the Diver's Den then almost forgot about him eating dinner. Good thing I have the email updates and had my phone in my pocket. The email comes out later than the fish, but he was still available.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda thinking it looked like a pale white tail

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone, @Joey123 was the closest with "bbq chips" but nobody guessed our packages correctly.

The Trigger Sapphire sump arrived with the CaribSea Liferock branches.

The sump fits nice and neat into the corner with room for a matching ATO and a few dosing containers down the road.

20180511_194637.jpg

The branch rock ended up being way more than I expected. I ordered two, 40 pound boxes to go with the 25 pounds of live rock currectly in my 35 gallon cube. That would give me a total of 65 pounds of live rock. Still under the recommended pound per gallon ratio, but I've always under cut that anyway. It just looks like a tank full of rock with a gallon of water thrown on top of it. I like wide open spaces with caves and open rock work so the fish can swim thru.

20180511_200629.jpg

So, that is 40 pounds of branch rock. Yea, it almost covers the bottom of the tank. It'll be stacked, of course. I wasn't expecting that much rock tho. I guess it's always better to have more and need less, than to have less and need more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so, we got bored. Turtle made me do it I swear... Deep Blue has been moved. Fairy Tale is now in its final resting place.

20180511_231849.jpg

20180511_231900.jpg

20180511_231909.jpg

I think this is the first and final scape of the Fairy Tale... I kinda love it. Yes, we are going to add the rocks from Deep Blue. I think I know where they will go.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang you were busy! I love the view from the front. Not sure about the sides. they feel kinda narrow but it could just be the camera. More the right side than the left. No real flats for coral placement.

Oh and I think I know who snagged that Lineatus you were eyeballing... No it wasn’t me :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang you were busy! I love the view from the front. Not sure about the sides. they feel kinda narrow but it could just be the camera. More the right side than the left. No real flats for coral placement.

Lots of shadow on the sides with just that one Kessil. Once the other two are up there it'll look better. When we get the T5 it should look amazing.

Most of my LPS is going to be on the sand around the structure. Acans, of course, and some scolys trachys welsos... The squishy bouncy corals! Duncans and euphyllia will be on the rocks of course. The SPS will be up top on the tips of the branch rocks and I'm thinking some zoas down low on the middle branch rocks. I'm also using the tall tower rock in the back left corner (pic #3) and maybe the other three somewhere... back right? They might get sumped, I'm not gonna let them dry out, not with all that pretty red coralline.

I gotta take a hacksaw to that tall rock. It won't stand on it's own and has to be propped up against the tank in Deep Blue. I'm gonna keep the rock off the glass in this tank so I can scrape it clean when needed. So I'm thinking I'll just hack off an inch or so to get a flat bottom so it'll free stand on it's own.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I think I know who snagged that Lineatus you were eyeballing... No it wasn’t me :)

Yea? I hope it's someone who will take care of it for years. I gotta get this tank up and running before I go buying $300+ fish. That rhomboidalis was so pretty tho.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back