OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just checking them out. Dont think Id ever be able to reach in the tank with one of these guys. Look like theyd take a finger no problem!

Yea, they are pretty... but require a large tank just to themselves. 3' long, very muscular body and lots of sharp teeth. Oh, did I mention they have a good appetite for fish?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, they are pretty... but require a large tank just to themselves. 3' long, very muscular body and lots of sharp teeth. Oh, did I mention they have a good appetite for fish?

and hands. Beautiful creatures, but probably not for my 45.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my acros on the rack... most are doing great considering the AEFW. Pretty sure they are gone, but will continue to dip.

Red Planet

20181123_220200.jpg

Bonsai

20181123_220205.jpg

ASL Irish Gold

20181123_220150.jpg

ASL Baskin Robbins

20181123_220315.jpg

Bali Green Slimer

20181123_220211.jpg

Suharsonoi

20181123_220229.jpg

Possible tierra del feugo or strawberry shortcake...

20181123_220255.jpg

Unknown green base with blue tips

20181123_220304.jpg

Unknown purple

20181123_220216.jpg

One of the tri color frags, they've picked up a bunch of color. I thought they wouldn't make it they were so pale.

20181123_220247.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of your spongeodes?

Pretty neat monti. It's part encrusting, part plating and part branching. Green skin with black polyps. I'm just hoping it doesn't take over too much real estate. It's another fast grower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to test parameters last night. Ended up getting a shower, eating dinner and got about 15 minutes into a movie before I decided bed was more appealing. The ATO had about 3/4 of a gallon of water in it too.

Yea, itll be ok until I get home. I'll test tonight and see if we have any alk drop. I also have some GHA trying to take hold on the right side of the tank. Ok, ok it's taken hold... I need to remove it before it takes over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We FINALLY got around to testing some parameters today. I know it's been over a week... Thanksgiving holiday and work have had me pretty busy and drained and I'm finding it hard to get the energy to mess with the tank more than feeding and topping of the ATO. Corals are looking good, the elk horn I thought was gone last week is showing growth this week. It's just a really pale shade of green and at a quick glance looks to be dead, but I can see polyps and new growth on the tips so all is good. Next week I have GOT to do something with the GHA on the right side of the tank. Its the side with the small SW4 powerhead, the side opposite the gyre, and the side of the tank I feed. Likely a little bit of overfeeding combined with low flow/targeted flow from the gyre. Basically it's where everything nasty collects in the tank with how the aquascape is set up. I may move that SW4 lower to try and stir it up without blowing up a sand storm. Next year I plan on getting stronger power heads for the back wall.

Anyway, parameters!

Alk 8.0dKH, exactly where we want it. We can start dosing from here to keep it at this level.
Calcium 420ppm, very close to ballanced. I'm happy with that result.
PO4 0.15ppm, I probably need to order more GFO to get that down further. The amount I had left pulled it from 0.6 down to 0.1 but seems to have stalled there. It might have exhausted itself pulling so much at once.

So on 11/21 we had 8.6dKH and on 11/30 we have 8.0dKH giving us a calculated daily dose of 4.75ml a day. I'll set up the dosing pump for 4ml a day since it only works in whole numbers and not decimals. Cheap Jebao pump for now. Plan to upgrade to the eKoral doser in the future.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We FINALLY got around to testing some parameters today. I know it's been over a week... Thanksgiving holiday and work have had me pretty busy and drained and I'm finding it hard to get the energy to mess with the tank more than feeding and topping of the ATO. Corals are looking good, the elk horn I thought was gone last week is showing growth this week. It's just a really pale shade of green and at a quick glance looks to be dead, but I can see polyps and new growth on the tips so all is good. Next week I have GOT to do something with the GHA on the right side of the tank. Its the side with the small SW4 powerhead, the side opposite the gyre, and the side of the tank I feed. Likely a little bit of overfeeding combined with low flow/targeted flow from the gyre. Basically it's where everything nasty collects in the tank with how the aquascape is set up. I may move that SW4 lower to try and stir it up without blowing up a sand storm. Next year I plan on getting stronger power heads for the back wall.

Anyway, parameters!

Alk 8.0dKH, exactly where we want it. We can start dosing from here to keep it at this level.
Calcium 420ppm, very close to ballanced. I'm happy with that result.
PO4 0.15ppm, I probably need to order more GFO to get that down further. The amount I had left pulled it from 0.6 down to 0.1 but seems to have stalled there. It might have exhausted itself pulling so much at once.

So on 11/21 we had 8.6dKH and on 11/30 we have 8.0dKH giving us a calculated daily dose of 4.75ml a day. I'll set up the dosing pump for 4ml a day since it only works in whole numbers and not decimals. Cheap Jebao pump for now. Plan to upgrade to the eKoral doser in the future.
Gotta love it when you can be lazy and your parameters are still right where you want them!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... #honestyinreefing

Far too long with far too many phosphates I have let GHA take over my display.

20181130_160049.jpg
20181130_160101.jpg

There are little tufts growing in other places, but this is the main problem area. After nightshift this weekend I am going to try and tooth brush as much as I can and add a filter sock to the sump. Hopefully I can manually remove most of it. With any luck, the GFO combined with the fuge(chaeto has absolutely taken over) and manual removal, I can get rid of enough algae bound phosphates that the remaining GHA doesnt have enough to feed on.

Had an oops with my red monti cap... I was plucking some GHA and I may have bumped it. Broke right in half and luckily I was taking pictures of algae and just happened to notice half of my coral was missing. I glued it back to the rock as close as I could to the original location. It's a fast grower and should fuse back to itself quickly.

20181130_160650.jpg
20181130_161307.jpg

I had to go fishing for my setosa. It hasn't encrusted yet and I'm assuming a snail wanted to occupy the exact spot as the coral. Its reglued and seems to be just fine.

20181130_161646.jpg

My blue hornets have gone from 2 polyps to 5 polyps, and the Nirvana zoas have babies all around them after sitting at 4 polyps for 2 months. Can't get an exact count on number of polyps from where they are, but I'd say 6 to 8.

20181130_160316.jpg
20181130_160412.jpg

Last picture I took is the elkhorn. Its green, but barely. I'm not sure if that's be design, or its unhappy. I'm leaning towards design, because I see polyps out and growth. Anyway it's a very neat coral and I'm excited to see how it grows out. The algae on that one tip is a little concerning. I'll see if I can clean that off without disturbing the coral too much.

20181130_160144.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back