OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the scare of a lifetime... went to go check on the eel and saw nothing. Yep, nothing.

20190117_080512.jpg

I added that large(r) rock last night as he was huddled up against the internal HOB yesterday and wanted something more natural. With some encouragement he coiled under the rock and looked to be pleased with the new spot. So when I went to check on him this morning I expected so see him in the same spot... nope. Pulled the rock out of the tank to see if it had found a crevasse to hide in.

No eel.

Pulled the skull out to see if maybe it could hide where I couldn't see inside there somehow.

No eel.

Unplugged the HOB and disassembled it to see if it had found a way inside it.

No eel.

At this point, panic ensued. I started tearing the room appart with a flashlight looking all over the place thinking it must have gotten thru a gap in the top and I just lost my eel and one of the dogs ate it for breakfast or a midnight snack....

Then I look up at the tank and see something. A little golden mouth sticking out of the tiniest hole in the rock I added yesterday. Yep, the same rock I pulled out of the tank looking for him. A whole eel, was completely inside the rock.

Look right there, just left of center and just barely visible...

20190117_082646.jpg

Where is the whiskey? I don't care if its 9am...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the scare of a lifetime... went to go check on the eel and saw nothing. Yep, nothing.

20190117_080512.jpg

I added that large(r) rock last night as he was huddled up against the internal HOB yesterday and wanted something more natural. With some encouragement he coiled under the rock and looked to be pleased with the new spot. So when I went to check on him this morning I expected so see him in the same spot... nope. Pulled the rock out of the tank to see if it had found a crevasse to hide in.

No eel.

Pulled the skull out to see if maybe it could hide where I couldn't see inside there somehow.

No eel.

No eel.

At this point, panic ensued. I started tearing the room appart with a flashlight looking all over the place thinking it must have gotten thru a gap in the top and I just lost my eel and one of the dogs ate it for breakfast or a midnight snack....

Then I look up at the tank and see something. A little golden mouth sticking out of the tiniest hole in the rock I added yesterday. Yep, the same rock I pulled out of the tank looking for him. A whole eel, was completely inside the rock.

20190117_082646.jpg

Wow. How did you even notice him in there?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. How did you even notice him in there?
I was below the tank, you know on the floor looking for an eel that had slithered under something. I looked up at the tank (the entrance points down) and saw the rock move. Well not the rock but something in the rock moved. I thought, that rock has been wet for a year, but I KNOW there's nothing living in it but bacteria...

Wrong. There was an eel living in it.

Frickin pukani and all its holes and crevasses...

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190117_080512.jpg

No eel.

No eel.

No eel.

20190117_082646.jpg

I was on the edge of my seat for that. Pretty awesome.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe later today... he seems to have found a nice comfortable spot. Hopefully he'll be interested in food this time.
I've heard a few drops of salted caramel whiskey added to the water will help stimulate feeding. Or maybe that it was ok to be drinking it while you were feeding :rolleyes:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he found a home.......Got Mysis?....whats the cheapest tiny live shrimp available? throw a dozen in and see how long they last..that squid may be too big
You'll see when I set it up...
images

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate. Some squishy white thing in the LRS Chunky. I had to really convince him tho. Tried a small piece of squid tentacle, seemed interested but didn't bite. Then I think the was a chunk of krill in the LRS, still interested but no bite. Then the white squishy thing. I held it there for a while at the entrance to his hidey hole, then just stuck it in his face and idk if it was aggression towards something being close or I finally put the food where he wanted it... but he ate it. Just a tiny piece but it was food and it went in the eel. I call that a win.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back