Turtle's Fairy Tale

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I needed to shut down one tank, and altho the 250 is slightly smaller(just an inch or two in each dimension) than the 90g, it's the nicer of the two, and the overflow is silent. The 90 sounds like a waterfall. I may make a few upgrades to my current equipment down the road(Noopsyche lights), but I have all the equipment I need to run it well. It's just going to be LPS and softie with whatever SPS makes it. The montis are hanging on, and should bounce back once in a tank that is taken care of.
I'm sorry to see this, but I understand completely. I have no idea how people can take care of 3 or 4 tanks. I struggle just to keep my 1 running well. If I had 2 tanks I wouldn't have any free time or they would be a disaster.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, both fish are out and swimming around. No aggression between the orange butterfly and the bicolor angel. The butterfly was actually out and swimming around last night, the wrasse came out today.

20191020_141428.jpg
20191020_141420.jpg
20191020_143000.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, after much debating and back and forth... I'm going to revive this build. The Reefer will have to remain FOWLR. It's the fiancee's tank, and she likes the fishies more. And the fishies she picked, eat corals. That's ok, it's her tank she can stock it how she wants.

My LPS are mostly healthy, SPS is about toast, and Zoas are unphased. The hair algae infestation is actually slowly dying off, without my intervention.

I have more bad news tho, I lost Cleopatra, my leopard wrasse. I never saw any signs of illness in the tank, and still do not. That makes at least 4, most likely 5, fish that died without cause, other than aggression from the melanarus. I will be catching him using the barbless hook method, and taking him to an LFS and telling them he's an aggressive fish killer and letting them deal with him.

From here out, I will be keeping LPS and mostly leopards, when I can get them... and a fairy or two. Peaceful wrasse. I also want to save up and get the new IM 70 dropoff. I love the dropoff design, and even tho it's a slight downgrade in size, the length of swim room is the same for the fish, so my current stock will be ok. The downsize comes from the shelf, the dimensions are almost the same, just peninsula and not panorama.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I admit it; I've been a lousy member of R2R and a crappy friend. I could give all kinds of excuses/reasons why I went MIA but will save you the agony. Bottom line is I jumped out of the R2R ocean without warning or saying anything to nearly anyone. It was an uncalled for and selfish act. So, I offer my apologies to you, and anyone else, that I had built a cyber-friendship with through this forum. I won't let it happen again.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's new and different?
Oh uh, 3 months of neglect, lost all my SPS, frogspawns and a a few heads of acans, but no total losses so they will regrow. I finally got around to changing water and cleaning up the tank last week and it made a 180 after. My trachy is super full and happy now as well as the tell tale of the tank, the trumpet. If it looks bad, the tank need attention, and its looking good right now. I'll grab some pictures later today.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh uh, 3 months of neglect, lost all my SPS, frogspawns and a a few heads of acans, but no total losses so they will regrow. I finally got around to changing water and cleaning up the tank last week and it made a 180 after. My trachy is super full and happy now as well as the tell tale of the tank, the trumpet. If it looks bad, the tank need attention, and its looking good right now. I'll grab some pictures later today.
Winters coming and time to spend on the tank. You're a newlywed you have at least 6 months of forgiveness for having your head in the clouds;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a total loss after 3 months? That's some good luck you have there! Happy things have turned around quickly for you. It's a rare time when something quick happens in reefkeeping and it's a good thing!

Congrats on the wedding! (I did not know you got married... poor girl!) ;)

Well I started getting alerts where ever you go. That is definitely different :p

Yes, that is different. Especially when one considers I have had the magic tin foil on my head for the last three months. I cannot believe they could still track me!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a total loss after 3 months? That's some good luck you have there! Happy things have turned around quickly for you. It's a rare time when something quick happens in reefkeeping and it's a good thing!

Congrats on the wedding! (I did not know you got married... poor girl!) ;)

Now that I'm not so busy at work and have some time. Let me find a before and after picture.

Before... montis dead, frogspawn deflated and in the process of bailing out, GHA everywhere, hard film algae on glass that the metal blade on the Flipper! can not remove, both trachys half inflated, trumpet deflated, acans all retracted and covered in algae, frag rack covered in algae.

20191202_152032.jpg

Most recent after, most of the GHA is gone, trachys, trumpet and acans fully inflated, frogspawn completely bailed, dead montis removed where possible, glass scraped clean, frag rack moved to better flow and cleaned.

20191208_171445.jpg

One of my favorite wedding photos. Yes, I am a lucky guy.

FB_IMG_1574558963528.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm not so busy at work and have some time. Let me find a before and after picture.

Before... montis dead, frogspawn deflated and in the process of bailing out, GHA everywhere, hard film algae on glass that the metal blade on the Flipper! can not remove, both trachys half inflated, trumpet deflated, acans all retracted and covered in algae, frag rack covered in algae.

20191202_152032.jpg

Most recent after, most of the GHA is gone, trachys, trumpet and acans fully inflated, frogspawn completely bailed, dead montis removed where possible, glass scraped clean, frag rack moved to better flow and cleaned.

20191208_171445.jpg

One of my favorite wedding photos. Yes, I am a lucky guy.

FB_IMG_1574558963528.jpg

Nice recovery going on there.

Great pic of your lady and the hot animal! (The horse, of course) Not sure how that bald guy got into the pic. However, I'm fairly sure it took a lot of coaxing and cash! Seriously though, great pic of you two on your special day!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wedding photo, Fine job on doing it right. BTW that trachy is sick!..in a good way :p What do you and fuds do to keep them happy? I picked up a small one until I can figure it out ;Blackeye

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wedding photo, Fine job on doing it right. BTW that trachy is sick!..in a good way :p What do you and fuds do to keep them happy? I picked up a small one until I can figure it out ;Blackeye
Ignore it for the most part. Low flow, med low light, clean water. I don't feed mine.

20191210_194119.jpg

My clownfish even sleep in it... doesn't seem to bother the trachy trachy at all.

20191212_052220.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore it for the most part. Low flow, med low light, clean water. I don't feed mine.

20191210_194119.jpg

My clownfish even sleep in it... doesn't seem to bother the trachy trachy at all.

20191212_052220.jpg

Directions for super healthy trachy;
1.) Totally neglect your tank for 3 months.
2.) Spend a little time getting rid of nuisance algae.
3.) Get params under moderate control.
4.) Continue ignoring your trachy.
5.) Voilá! You're done.

What a trip!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats @Robin Haselden! I knew you were engaged but hadn't caught wind of the wedding. Very nice picture, looks like the prefect fall day!
Thanks bro. It was actually quite rainy, but that's good luck right? We had a nice break in the weather just in time for the ceremony. She rode in on the carriage with her father and step dad, and we were about to get some nice pictures in before it started to rain again. We caught the leaves at peak color also. The very next saturday, all the Bradford pears(tree behind us thats all pretty and colorful) were bare.

Her step mom owns the big horse and the carriage, and the guy they lease from that owns the horse farm let us use the property for the wedding.

FB_IMG_1574559125797.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pic of your lady and the hot animal! (The horse, of course)

That's her uncle in the denim... oh, you don't mean the donkey?

That's Andre the (giant) percheron. He's probably the most well behaved horse I've ever met. One of the biggest also, 17 hands... maybe 18. Loves pulling carriages, stands perfectly still while you get the harness and all on.

received_510365259571050.jpeg

We had him(wife and I) in Hartsville last week doing carriage rides while her step mom was at Columbia International University with the antique tractor, mules, haflingers and another percheron. (That's eye level)

20191205_174735.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back