Unknown Coral

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this off a piece of live rock about 3 years ago, when I found it it was about a 1/4 inch square so I broke it off and glued it.Now it's about 3-4 inchs around and really plating, it is also a dark maroon color and when the tissue is out it looks kinda hairy I guess....Eric Borneman tried to help me ID it and the closest thing he could come up with is Laminosa sp....What do you guys think?

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN9632.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second picture is an old one but you can see how the tissue looks and how hairy it looks.....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He thought of that too.....But couldn't pin point it....I thought I would check with you SPS gurus.....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked that up too, and I can only find pictures of corals that have large coralites, where this does not have any real signs of coralites although you can see small round spots with what lookes to be a mouth type area but the are much smaller then anything I have found under lepastrea.....I'll post on RC too I think.....Thanks all for the help keep the sugestions coming if you have a clue for sure.....

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know I agree with epidemic, looks to be some sort of lepastrea-so go ahead and bleach half of it so we can see the coralites and give you a 100% ID haha-just kidding, either way its prety nice.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to go with the leps on this one... Man, that's tiny!

:D
Laurie

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope no exposed skeleton I can get a picture of the underside if that will help?

What's tiny Laurie?

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is just tough on corals like that to ID-i mean they arent corals you see everyday so its not like you can jsut say "oh yeah thats ____", but if there was exposed skeleton then you could count septa and see coralite structure and figure out at LEAST genus of the coral, thats why i asked.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know.....I knew why you asked, just dont have any bare spots which is good it's growth has been tremendous over the last year or so.....I had to rearrange my tank so know I have it up front so it can be seen...

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was feeding the tank and noticed that some mysis laneded on it and it ate the mysis....The tissue got all puffy around the mysis and it started to swallow the food....I will get pics next time....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back