Urgh seriously.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep an eye on it at this point as many others have said...I don't think its going to crash your tank by any means or even that you would have a lot of loss considering you have caught it early and not seeing signs of distress from anything but the water changes. I know how hard it can be to keep little ones straight but I really feel like your brother should have noticed the kids not telling him they needed to go to the bathroom.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG so sorry, hope things work out. I had that same thing a very long time ago but it didn't hurt anything but only had soft corals in the tank, and all the fish were fine. Good Luck

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the water change etc, and my pulling my hair out,
Everything is up an running like before. The fish seem fine, and the corals are coming back out. I had one of my lfs test my water, so I am not sure what test they use. However, I will be testing every two days for about a week or more.

I also found out that it was not just my 5 year old nephew, but it was my 3 year old nephew as well. Clearly I need to gate off the area that goes behind my tank.

In light of the situation, I have come up with a sticker that I can post in front of the tank and behind on the stand.

This is not a toilet, please use the two bathrooms upstairs when you have the sudden urge.

I hope that is clear enough lol for people to grasp and understand. I can’t be mad at my nephews, but my brother is soooo in trouble right now.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that it was not a disaster and you are able to get things under control. This is the 2nd one im reading. First was toddler dumping dish-soap or detergent in the sump and now your's. Both tank survived. That sign should sure keep ppl off LOL

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol this has totally been killing me lol. I am thinking about kidnapping the nice dog from Gru in the movie Despicable Me. He can guard my tank, 24/7 and wreck havoc. Even after stern talking to with my nephews (it was hard to keep a straight face, especially when they said, well it’s faster down here). We caught the three year old two more times trying go back there. So I moved my shelves on either side to block them off this time. Why is it so hard to walk up to flight of stairs to use the bathrooms up stairs? Of course a nice stern talking needs to go to my brother and the house design. Seriously what were you thinking Mr. Architect, where is your thought in this one? But I will always adore my nephews. Now should I worry about my niece, wonder if she will try. Sure hope not.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that your skimmer should make short work of it.

A skimmer cannot remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate directly. A protein skimmer works by removing animal feces, uneaten food particles, coral mucus and other organic things. In a way, protein skimmers reduce ammonia, nitrite and nitrate because these organic things will eventually break down and become ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. But, once the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are in the water column, the skimmer can't remove them.

This is actually how organic carbon dosing works. When there are nitrates and phosphates in the water, the skimmer cannot remove them. However, dose an organic carbon source (like vodka, vinegar, sugar, biopellets, etc), then bacteria grow and use the nitrates and phosphates from the water around them. The bacteria can then be removed by the skimmer. The net result is that nitrates and phosphates are removed. But remember, until the nitrates and phosphates were locked up in bacterial biomass, the skimmer couldn't get to them.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Lol oh you have no idea, how bad people will laugh on that day with this story. Specially if their gfs or future wives have fish tanks.

It will be like, “ So I see you have a fish tank there!” “Why yes, yes I do, and for some reason my ammonia keeps spiking, would you know why?”. Me, “hmmm yup I know why, it’s because your significant other is urinating in the fish tank because your bathrooms are upstairs!” Gf says “hunny come here we need to talk NOW!” Me I leave very quietly.

My adorable nephews will never get to live this down ever.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Lol oh you have no idea, how bad people will laugh on that day with this story. Specially if their gfs or future wives have fish tanks.

It will be like, “ So I see you have a fish tank there!” “Why yes, yes I do, and for some reason my ammonia keeps spiking, would you know why?”. Me, “hmmm yup I know why, it’s because your significant other is urinating in the fish tank because your bathrooms are upstairs!” Gf says “hunny come here we need to talk NOW!” Me I leave very quietly.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this!

I'm sure repeated additions of urine aren't good for a tank but I would be shocked if you had problems. I know people who swear by urinating in a tank to start the cycle process.

And yes... this is something you will be able to enjoy embarrassing them with for many decades to come!

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help but laugh at this thread. I couldn't imagine how mad I'd be if I ever caught one of my kids doing this... Glad that no significant damage was done. On the flip side you do certainly have a good story and means for later embarrassment to break out if needed.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Just make sure you keep a link to this thread so you can blackmail them ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back