uv sterilizer recomendations -- help!!!

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have battled ich before in my 58 and unfortunately it is coming back! A QT is not an option at this time so I have to do something intank. I thought a uv sterilizer would be a good start. I know it won't cure my problem but it's gotta help!! Right?? Could anyone give me a rcomendation or list any that I should not get? I remember reading the turbo twist brand had some problems emmiting electricity into the water. Has anyone heard if they fixed that problem?

Also how low can I lower my salinity before it begins to effect my corals? The tank has acans, micros, blastos, duncans and zoas/palys. the fish do not have it bad but I can see it on several of the fish so I want to start trying to do something right away. Any other suggestions anyone has I would love to hear it.

Thanks a bunch
Patrick

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont' think a uv sterilizer will help with ich

what fish do you have in there?

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gobies and some wrasses. It should kill any parasites that are in the water column. I know it won't cure the problem but it should decrease their numbers.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really try to make the q-tank an option. with the fish you have it can be done in 10 gallon tank, hang on filter, heater and your done. you don't need lights.

For right now i would start mashing up some fresh garlic in with your food. I feed garlic once a month until the food is gone. It helps build up the immune system of the fish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to QT everything using copper and I would get ich back every time. I would remove ALL the fish and QT for up to 8 weeks at a time. I did this several times and it always came back. So I decided instead of stressing the fish I would feed them good and keep the water as stable as possible. I would get an outbreak every once and a while and then it would be gone. I recently have had an out break on my PBT, but after feeding him good for a week, it seems to be almost fully gone if not gone completely today.

I'm not condoning adding fish straight to the tank or not using a qt, just sharing my experience.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like others have said.....i think you are basically thinking of a quick fix...and i'm not sure a UV sterilizer will provide that.

but, if you do get one. those coralife turbo twists are pretty good. just get the largest possible one.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had ich, but my friends have had decent luck adding Kent Garlic Extreme and fresh ground ginger root to the fish food. Just make sure to keep the fish well fed through the illness and they should come around.

If you really want a UV Sterilizer, I have a used Coralife one for sale with a brand new bulb. Shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I am going to set up a qt/hospital tank tomorrow night. Probably a 29 gallon. I guess I will just put some small pvc pieces in there and run copper and low salinity. I guess I will also add a small power head for some water movement and a heater of course. I don't have a sponge or anything to take out of my main tank - any ideas to help with keeping water quality up?? I thought maybe doing water changes evry 2-3 days to keep water quality up. Any other tips anyone could give would be greatlt appreciated. Thanks

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick:

You can borrow my ozone generator and orp controller for a couple days if you have a skimmer/reaction chamber that is ozone safe. I don't think it is the best solution, but would be as good as a UV if you didn't want to make a purchse.

I rent cheap :).

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer brandon - but I don't have a skimmer that would work on right now. But soon I will - So if this happens again I might take you up on that.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I put a hob filter on the qt tank for water movement or just put a power head in it? What about the temp - should it be normal high or low for the copper treatment?

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a hang on back filter with a biowheel, simply to help keep the water oxygen rich, keep the water as warm as possible, higher temps speed up the life cycle of ick. keep salinity lower to help kill the parasite. as for a UV, it isnt gonna kill whats on the fish as you already know. but if you wanna make a purchase anyway it wouldnt hurt to run in the main tank while your fish are in quarantine, it could lower the populations that are in the main tank. or just starve them out by leaving no fish in the tank for them to host on.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 8.2%
Back