Velvet

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have had a few fish die in the last week due to velvet, I only have 2 black clowns and 3 damsels left but have noticed one of the clowns is not eating and has a slight mist on his skin, what should I do? I have a QT tank, do I take all five fish out or just take the clown that looks unwell and treat him on his own, or leave it because the damage is already done? Then go fallow when the inevitable happens: (

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've already verified velvet the treatment would be 30 days coppersafe or copper power at 2.25 for all fish to be safe. Tank will need to go fallow also. Here are the relevant stickies for information.

If you think further diagnosis is needed please read this and respond with information asked for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys I have had a few fish die in the last week due to velvet, I only have 2 black clowns and 3 damsels left but have noticed one of the clowns is not eating and has a slight mist on his skin, what should I do? I have a QT tank, do I take all five fish out or just take the clown that looks unwell and treat him on his own, or leave it because the damage is already done? Then go fallow when the inevitable happens: (
At the onset…. They should have received treatment with coppersafe or copper power
How did you conclude velvet and not other cause?
Treatment should be at 2.25 for a full 30 days and the tank ran without fish present for 6/8 weeks to allow disease to die off without a host fish

Please post pics, even videos under bright white intensity for positive assessment

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the onset…. They should have received treatment with coppersafe or copper power
How did you conclude velvet and not other cause?
Treatment should be at 2.25 for a full 30 days and the tank ran without fish present for 6/8 weeks to allow disease to die off without a host fish

Please post pics, even videos under bright white intensity for positive assessment
I have only just purchased the QT tank today, wish I got it from the start now, I self diagnosed the velvet from other pics and videos on the internet, i’am 99% sure its that. After treating with Copper for 30 days, would I be able to leave the fish in the QT for 6/8 weeks? Until the disease has died off, Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have only just purchased the QT tank today, wish I got it from the start now, I self diagnosed the velvet from other pics and videos on the internet, i’am 99% sure its that. After treating with Copper for 30 days, would I be able to leave the fish in the QT for 6/8 weeks? Until the disease has died off, Thanks
Yes and you can maintain the level or drop to 2.0 (minimum level)
Be sure to provide aeration with an airstone and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit as well as copper levels- Hanna copper test kit works well

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and you can maintain the level or drop to 2.0 (minimum level)
Be sure to provide aeration with an airstone and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit as well as copper levels- Hanna copper test kit works well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 6

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Velvet (Amyloodinium) is frequently misdiagnosed in the Internet, it is often confused with advanced stage ich, or even Brooklynella. True velvet is pretty rare. Unlike with freshwater velvet, you won't see distinct spots with marine velvet, towards the end of the infection, you may see some dust like tone to the fish's skin. In all stages though, fish will velvet will breath more and more rapidly, will stop eating, and hang in water currents.

Either ich or velvet can be handled with coppersafe or copper power at 2.25 ppm (no invertebrates present of course!)

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet (Amyloodinium) is frequently misdiagnosed in the Internet, it is often confused with advanced stage ich, or even Brooklynella. True velvet is pretty rare. Unlike with freshwater velvet, you won't see distinct spots with marine velvet, towards the end of the infection, you may see some dust like tone to the fish's skin. In all stages though, fish will velvet will breath more and more rapidly, will stop eating, and hang in water currents.

Either ich or velvet can be handled with coppersafe or copper power at 2.25 ppm (no invertebrates present of course!)
Thanks for your reply

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back