Wall euphyllia help

Fosterz_goodcall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently at work so I don’t have pictures but I brought a wall hammer and frogspawns corals and recently seem to be doing poorly but all my other corals are doing great, my acans grown more heads other branching hammer and frogspawn doing great Duncan’s all opened, just wondering if there’s something I can do, but might cut my losses and try send them to my LFS see if they can save them and stick with branching corals

Also I’ve moved them lower in the tank (on the sand bed) and reduced lighting just in case that could have been a issue.

also at work so replies from me will be slow

Thanks for the help in advance!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that wall-type euphyllia don’t do well in captivity. No idea why. In my LFS, I watch them decline while other branching euphyllia thrive. Probably not much if anything you can do to help it.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ScottR and @DSC reef. I have never had long term luck with wall hammers but branching do fine.

I was at another reefers house the other day who has perfect parameters and has his corals in the best spot in regards to flow and lighting but his wall frogspawn does not grow at all and never seems to fully expand as it did when he first got it a while back. We were both out of ideas on what can be the best course of action to see it thrive as his other corals.

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that wall-type euphyllia don’t do well in captivity. No idea why. In my LFS, I watch them decline while other branching euphyllia thrive. Probably not much if anything you can do to help it.
Agree with @ScottR Typically wall euphyllia don't do as well in tanks as branching euphyllia for some reason no matter your parameters or lighting. My record is about a year for a wall hammer (euphyllia ancora)
I agree with @ScottR and @DSC reef. I have never had long term luck with wall hammers but branching do fine.

I was at another reefers house the other day who has perfect parameters and has his corals in the best spot in regards to flow and lighting but his wall frogspawn does not grow at all and never seems to fully expand as it did when he first got it a while back. We were both out of ideas on what can be the best course of action to see it thrive as his other corals.

Thanks for these posts! I was just about to shell out some serious money for a beautiful gold stem teal wall hammer colony, but given the above anecdotes I think I will pass now. I always understood that the stakes were a little higher because these types of corals can't easily be fragged if they suffer damage, but I didn't realize they were also much more difficult to keep altogether.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back