What are these?

Amanda_Thomasz27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to identify this “thing”. I noticed it about a week ago and idk if it is a baby anemone or what. It could have been on this rock all along since we have bought it and we are just now are noticing. We currently have 2 anemones in our tank

F771990F-C292-44FD-93FD-42D38EA0D34C.jpeg
A876A2DF-8FCE-49D7-B0E0-807579FE80BC.jpeg
7F585722-8726-4245-8725-A49A4A78FDE1.jpeg

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pest anemone, generally not desired in our aquarium because they can rapidly multiply and compete for food and space. Since it's an anemone it's tentacles can sting other corals.

They hitchhike on live rock and corals.

I had a single aiptasia once and removed the rock completely. Didn't want to take any chances. Apparently, when they die, they will release spores, dividing further.

Here are some options below for dealing with them. I've never used these methods.
AiptasiaX
Lemon juice
Glue
Peppermint shrimp
Filefish
Butterfly fish

OP
OP
A

Amanda_Thomasz27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pest anemone, generally not desired in our aquarium because they can rapidly multiply and compete for food and space. Since it's an anemone it's tentacles can sting other corals.

They hitchhike on live rock and corals.

I had a single aiptasia once and removed the rock completely. Didn't want to take any chances. Apparently, when they die, they will release spores, dividing further.

Here are some options below for dealing with them. I've never used these methods.
AiptasiaX
Lemon juice
Glue
Peppermint shrimp
Filefish
Butterfly fish

okay I definitely want to get rid of it the proper way and successfully without multiplying. I could buy a few peppermint shrimp and see if that helps first. But I will do some research on this. Thank for letting me know all of this!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back