What Fish would you add next?

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda stuck on what fish to add next. I know I want new fish but no idea what I want. I upgraded from my 55g to a 80G with 40G sump and just wondering what to add next.

Current Stock in Main tank:
Yellow Tang
Cleaner Wrasse
Red-lined Wrasse
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Watchman Goby + Tiger Pistol
Longnose HawkFish
2 Maroon Clownfish(Pair)

Stock in Sump:
Green Hadoni Carpet Anemone
1 Clownfish :( (Female died recently from trying to lay eggs)

The upgraded tank included everything from 55g that was up for around 5 years. New 80 gallon tank has been up for about 3 months now. Around 150+ lbs of live rock and 40lbs of sand right now. Going to add another 40lbs in the future also. Reef Octopus 160int Skimmer.

I've tried another tang like the Powder Blue but yellow tang wont have it. Too big of a bully to let any other tang in the tank. Did not care for the Leopard wrasse when I added him though.

Any ideas would be awesome :) Going for those nicely colored ones!
29249171_1983754811635555_837203260451323904_o.jpg
29214427_1983754844968885_5964116562183979008_o.jpg

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins have great colors if your pod population is sufficient and as far as I know your list of current fish won’t bother them. Purple, zebra and helfrichi firefish all have awesome colors but can be a little skiddish, dwarf angels are always pretty but are nippers of corals, and jawfish are my current favorites because of their personalities but I think their colors are pretty too. That’s just my input but they are all small fish and you have a big enough set up for plenty of other options so make sure to explore

Btw I really like your setup

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins have great colors if your pod population is sufficient and as far as I know your list of current fish won’t bother them. Purple, zebra and helfrichi firefish all have awesome colors but can be a little skiddish, dwarf angels are always pretty but are nippers of corals, and jawfish are my current favorites because of their personalities but I think their colors are pretty too. That’s just my input but they are all small fish and you have a big enough set up for plenty of other options so make sure to explore

Btw I really like your setup

I wish I could get a Mandarin, I never feel like I have enough Pod Population to maintain one though (But mandarins are the first fish that got me into the hobby). As for firefish they don't move around that much atleast the one I had before didn't before he decided to fly for the stars. Angles like ndrwater suggested and you might be a option though. Never had one because I've heard they are nibblers and I do have a fair about of SPS in the tank but that might be a option! Jaw fish another fish that I actually like a lot, my goby and shrimp has taken command of the left pillar of rocks so if he can find a cave inside the right side that might be a good choice :) Thanks for the suggestions though!

The sump is actually a work in progress I wish I can get it to be more like a refugium then another fish tank for me lol!!!!

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once you get your sump going with some macro algae I would definitely get a mandarin. They are the reason I started the hobby also, my first mandarin was a green one and I was a newbie without a sump and he only made it a month. My second and current is a spotted and oh my is he fat and happy and the first fish everyone notices because he comes up and gets in your face lol. I only have a 55 with 20 sump and I produce more than enough pods for him, my rainford and all my other inhabitants so your setup is more than capable but that is a monster carpet currently taking up your sump haha. And definitely keep a jawfish in mind because their personalities are so much different than gobies and don’t make as much mess(at least for me)I only have a pearl jawfish because I’m cheap lol, but the blue dots are pretty amazing looking if you wanna pay for it. And I had a coral beauty angel for awhile but I like my acans and other LPS so I had to give him away so that’s my experience with dwarfs.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow longnose butterfly who’s been quite the reef safe fish actually. Seems happy in my 75 G

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once you get your sump going with some macro algae I would definitely get a mandarin. They are the reason I started the hobby also, my first mandarin was a green one and I was a newbie without a sump and he only made it a month. My second and current is a spotted and oh my is he fat and happy and the first fish everyone notices because he comes up and gets in your face lol. I only have a 55 with 20 sump and I produce more than enough pods for him, my rainford and all my other inhabitants so your setup is more than capable but that is a monster carpet currently taking up your sump haha. And definitely keep a jawfish in mind because their personalities are so much different than gobies and don’t make as much mess(at least for me)I only have a pearl jawfish because I’m cheap lol, but the blue dots are pretty amazing looking if you wanna pay for it. And I had a coral beauty angel for awhile but I like my acans and other LPS so I had to give him away so that’s my experience with dwarfs.

Yeah I wish I could get a mandarin that would be the ideal fish I would want to get one but I don't think I would every get enough pods. How did you find out that yours had enough pods before you put him in, and did/do you have to keep them stocked with pods?
Jawfish definitely might be a good option though! Does your feed well? Because my watchman wont leave his cave at all and I gotta spot feed him ;Facepalm
Also, that's my fear with Dwarf Angles >.> I like my SPS I don't wanna lose them :D

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow longnose butterfly who’s been quite the reef safe fish actually. Seems happy in my 75 G

How would you feel about him being add to a Yellow Tang though? I looked into them and they look like a awesome fish and their fins look crazy, if I know there would be no aggression then this also might be a option! I don't know how Butterflys are with tangs though because I never had one before. Any ideas?

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t stock any pods for my mandarin I did to start off but my refugium is packed with rock rubble and dragons breath macro and at lights off I can always see pods everywhere on the glass. Also recently my mandarin started eating other foods from the surface(brine, mysis, flake and frozen). As far as my jawfish he is not very shy anymore and he definitely comes out to get his share. Your yellow tang might startle him for a bit and I have no experience with wrasses other than a six line so idk on that

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wish I could get a mandarin that would be the ideal fish I would want to get one but I don't think I would every get enough pods. How did you find out that yours had enough pods before you put him in, and did/do you have to keep them stocked with pods?
Jawfish definitely might be a good option though! Does your feed well? Because my watchman wont leave his cave at all and I gotta spot feed him ;Facepalm
Also, that's my fear with Dwarf Angles >.> I like my SPS I don't wanna lose them :D

I'm not the fish compatibility expert, but I've read that most fish will leave them alone since they have the spines on their dorsal side. Maybe someone has more insight into this than myself #reefsquad

recreative

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are a few that I like, they are colorful and peaceful:
1. sunburst anthias, might be one of the prettiest fish out there and reasonable price - can be shy.
2. basslets, swissgard is nice but I like the cave even more . . . also shy.
3. fairy and flasher wrasses . . . so many, just do some research and take make your picks.

good luck.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my picks are:
YellowHead or Blue Spot JawFish: Definite
Dwarf Flame Angle: Maybe(I like my SPS)
Mandarin: Probably no since not enough pods
Firefish:No since I had them before not the Helfrichi species but they never seemed like swimmers
Longnose Butterfly fish or any Butterfly fish: Yes Pending (Need to find out if compatible with my grumpy yellow tang)
Anthias: Possibly, kinda too afraid if I don't feed them 2x+ a day they will die because sometimes I'm not able to come home before the lights go out.
Swiss guard: Maybe, hard to find at local fish stores I think but love the colors
More wrasses: Possibly, I do love wrasses :D

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I like all the ideas, so far 1 or 2 winners so far

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses!

I thought jawfish were best kept in colder water. I may be way off on that but I feel I've read this

Willard Barrera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are always fun to watch and they school. You can get 3-4 small ones. I would suggest lyretail anthias.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to fish that wont be bullied to death by the maroons and YT. I say go with a trio of damsels, Sapphire, Azure, or Yellowtail.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The redline and leopard wrasse are big-time consumers of pods, so will make it difficult on a mandarin. In an 80g.

In that size tank a yellow tang will go after a longnose butterfly. And while the butterfly's spines provide a good defense, the frequent stress of aggression from the yellow tang can lead to the quick demise of the butterfly.

Fairy and flasher wrasses are a great choice.

A group of zebra and scissortail dartfish are much more active than their firefish cousins.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast thanks for the answer. I knew someone would chime in who knew more than myself ;)

I will say my ornate leopard used to only eat pods. Took him months to start eating frozen food. Now that he eats frozen, I think he’s become lazy and I haven’t seen him pick pods off the rocks for weeks.

PS. Thanks for this thread. I have a 75G and was debating adding more fish myself :)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The redline and leopard wrasse are big-time consumers of pods, so will make it difficult on a mandarin. In an 80g.

In that size tank a yellow tang will go after a longnose butterfly. And while the butterfly's spines provide a good defense, the frequent stress of aggression from the yellow tang can lead to the quick demise of the butterfly.

Fairy and flasher wrasses are a great choice.

A group of zebra and scissortail dartfish are much more active than their firefish cousins.

I have to agree on the Zebra and Scissortail dartfish. I picked up a 3-pack of the zebras from divers den and they have been in my quarantine tank for around 30-days now. Very personable. When they sleep, they all huddle together in a pvc pipe.

Firefish or a single Blenny (Midas) would be another good option.

Jfishwild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally love the copperband butterfly. very hard to get to eat but once they do awesome fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back