What is a healthy fish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what youre' saying. I typed my thing In a paragraph. and I quoted the post to which I was referring. So there's that. BTW. I quoted your post - for some reason It didnt show up.. If thats the problem say it - but dont call me out

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to start this comment by saying that I probably have a bad opinion of you because of your dismissive response to my comment on the article, but anyone can scroll back and see that you are being dishonest about what was said and you should apologize and stop arguing dishonestly.

Here’s actual quotes:

“Glucan isn’t new. It’s been studied. It’s not beneficial for most fish in our aquariums.”

“While there have been some positive effects found, there are also studies that found no effect at all. Promoting this as some magic cure all is pretty much insane. It MAY be helpful in SOME instances.
You have a bad opinion of me because you have an agenda regarding prophylactic QT. In your article review you put words in your Vet's mouth that, if true, could cost him his license. I highly doubt he is an open supporter of unsupervised use of antibiotics.
Now if you want to prove the statements in my article are false, by all means do so. Just be prepared to do so using scientific references and not "my vet said".

If you had kept reading, I did correct myself on miss quoting him. His comment is still seemingly incorrect. He hasn't any offered any scientific support for his position. If he is going to claim a scientific study is wrong I don't think it is too much to ask for a scientific study that disproves it.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile.... back at the ranch, could we get back on topic?

If y'all want to continue throwing stones at eachother do it over PM.

My definition of a healthy fish is one that shows no sign of disease, is not showing any signs of trauma or injury, doesn't have a pinched belly and is readily eating.

Will I prophylactically treat fish in QT ? depends on which fish and where I'm sourcing said fish, sure some argue against it, to each their own, In short, yes in some cases I will and see little problems with it
Heck, I myself take a prophylactic medication every day so I guess I'm biased?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is an effort to change that. My understanding is that chelated copper products will be available again when they are re-marketed to not be fish medications. The biggest issue I'm aware of is that since they are all imported it has to go through an import approval process. Not sure if the suppliers will find that paperwork worthwhile.
They do still have H2O2 available there.

Its the same here - the word "medicin" (medecine) is protected and a product must meet some criteria in order to be accepted as "Medicin" Products that contain copper is allowed but the cant´t be named "Fiskmedicin" instead they are sold as "fiskpreparat" meaning something like a product for fish.

Sincerely Lasse

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a bad opinion of me because you have an agenda regarding prophylactic QT.

I don't understand why anyone would have an "agenda" for quarantining. Prophylactic or passive observation. I hate quarantining. It's just a neccessary evil in my mind. I would love to kick back, enjoy my DT, and when I see a fish for sale that I like just drop it on in. But my experiences tell me that probably won't end well. OK, maybe just watch the fish in QT for a month and then put it in. Wait... I travel, go to work, have a house to maintain, cook/clean/raise kids, go to the beach, watch football on Sundays and my wife seems to have all other free time planned out already... I don't really have time to stare at fish in QT all day. What feasible option(s) do I have left??! :rolleyes:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say a healthy fish is one that can live in it's natural environment and survive it's challenges.

I have healthy dogs. If one gets a tick on him he doesn't suddenly become unhealthy.
I disagree. Just like a marathon runner - who is healthy that gets a scratch - and dies of streptococcal sepsis. I think you are a bit wrong here

RCeiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a bad opinion of me because you have an agenda regarding prophylactic QT. In your article review you put words in your Vet's mouth that, if true, could cost him his license. I highly doubt he is an open supporter of unsupervised use of antibiotics.
Now if you want to prove the statements in my article are false, by all means do so. Just be prepared to do so using scientific references and not "my vet said".

If you had kept reading, I did correct myself on miss quoting him. His comment is still seemingly incorrect. He hasn't any offered any scientific support for his position. If he is going to claim a scientific study is wrong I don't think it is too much to ask for a scientific study that disproves it.

You are probably right. I do have a bad opinion of you. Mostly from the way you conduct yourself online and it goes beyond just what you said in that one quote.

I would say a healthy fish is one that can live in it's natural environment and survive it's challenges.

I guess that means all the fish in our aquariums are NOT HEALTHY, unless you think that a glass box sitting inside a house with electric lights over it is “natural”.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope you don't think of your tank as a true natural environment. It's an artificial environment. Even the largest public aquariums cannot duplicate the biodiversity and more importantly dilution that the ocean affords.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think VWNed meant "the wild" I think he meant environment as in current surroundings (aquarium life) and the ability to adapt to the challenges posed by captive life for a fish.

That's the way I took it at least

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right. I do have a bad opinion of you. Mostly from the way you conduct yourself online and it goes beyond just what you said in that one quote.
I'm ok and can respect that. I can appreciate people who have differing opinions from mine. Not everyone can do that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont think VWNed meant "the wild" I think he meant environment as in current surroundings (aquarium life) and the ability to adapt to the challenges posed by captive life for a fish.

That's the way I took it at least
Thats why he is able to respond - to explain what he meant or?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, This thread is spicy ! not in a good way either, I think everyone should just chill a bit maybe? Debates are cool, but IDK this ones turned into a mess.

I'm out!

Back