What is your dream captive-bred fish?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy Wrasses. Something like Flames, Labouti, Lineatus, Rhomboid ect. Expensive but not crazy expensive fish. We also don't know the ages of them when purchased wild caught as adults. Given the cost they could be sold for if successful it would be worth it from a financial perspective (I hope), but not as out of reach as says a Conspic for the serious hobbyist willing to spend hundreds but not thousands.

The other fish I'd say would be Gramma dejongi but you already do that :) Hopefully one day I can get one. One of the few fish I've never seen in person yet.

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

I'd love a captive bred yellow headed jawfish!!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see something that is very hardy in the aquarium, very beautiful and also moderately priced. For me, this would be something like Watanabei Angelfish, Purple/Gem Tangs, Chsysurus angelfish or some of the higher prices flame/fairy/leopards wrasses would be good. This needs to intersect at beauty/price/hardiness. Deepwater fish and fish from places that are hard to import (Africa).

$5000 prize fish or fish that are not good in reef situations do not do anything for me. I am not a dreamer, so a $300 Watanabei Angelfish pair that anybody could afford that did not have decompression and swim bladder issues would be awesome.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy Wrasses. Something like Flames, Labouti, Lineatus, Rhomboid ect. Expensive but not crazy expensive fish. We also don't know the ages of them when purchased wild caught as adults. Given the cost they could be sold for if successful it would be worth it from a financial perspective (I hope), but not as out of reach as says a Conspic for the serious hobbyist willing to spend hundreds but not thousands.

The other fish I'd say would be Gramma dejongi but you already do that :) Hopefully one day I can get one. One of the few fish I've never seen in person yet.
The fairy wrasses are such an interesting and important group we've thought about plenty of times. With doing yellow coris, red coris, melanarus wrasses, and cleaner wrasses its a bit easier because they don't change sex as often. The whole cirrhilabrus genus can go back and forth and has so many different phases of their spawning life cycle that it makes it very difficult to get consistent and coordinated spawns.

But one we do plan to focus on in the future when we understand them a little more.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see something that is very hardy in the aquarium, very beautiful and also moderately priced. For me, this would be something like Watanabei Angelfish, Purple/Gem Tangs, Chsysurus angelfish or some of the higher prices flame/fairy/leopards wrasses would be good. This needs to intersect at beauty/price/hardiness. Deepwater fish and fish from places that are hard to import (Africa).

$5000 prize fish or fish that are not good in reef situations do not do anything for me. I am not a dreamer, so a $300 Watanabei Angelfish pair that anybody could afford that did not have decompression and swim bladder issues would be awesome.
The genicanthus is one we need to do again. We had a few awesome batches about 9 months ago of the Genicanthus semifasciatus but that whole genus is one that I personally think could be a next breakthrough for the industry.

We do have captive-bred purple tangs available now (I think there's 2 more left on our site) but zebrasoma is a genus we seem to be having some pretty good luck with.

One rare deepwater fish we have had success with but haven't found the market for quite yet is the Aurora anthias (Pseudanthias calloura). They're really really cool but they're protogynous so all of our stock has the female coloration.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some captive bred eels. Be it snow flake, Zebra, Golden Dwarf, or Hawaiian Dragon. Not sure how feasible it is but I'd love to give it a try someday.

Outside of that...all of them! ;)
This is a really interesting suggestion. Larval eels are some of the coolest wonders in the ocean called leptocephalus. I've never seen any in person but I think a whole tank of those guys would be absolutely insane!

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin goby for me.
We breed mandarin gobies commercially! You can check them out on our site below:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some deepwater Genicanthus or ones that are not as easy to get. Lamarks and Swallowtails are cheaper and often available. Watanabei, Caddos, Melanos, Bellus might be a good spot where they can be done and the cost return is good. Personatus was a joke to me since they still cost too much and seemed like more of an indulgence than a commercial venture.

Plus, Genicanthus are hardy once established, not mean, not wusses and are totally reef safe.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back