What is your dream captive-bred fish?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above all else, Marine Bettas. I've seen 6 since I got into the hobby in February, and only 2 have been healthy. The others all had swim bladder problems. Even my lfs says it's a huge problem and most of theirs don't make it.

As well as gem tangs, moray eels, specifically golden dwarves. Purple tangs too.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genicanthus is one we need to do again. We had a few awesome batches about 9 months ago of the Genicanthus semifasciatus but that whole genus is one that I personally think could be a next breakthrough for the industry.

We do have captive-bred purple tangs available now (I think there's 2 more left on our site) but zebrasoma is a genus we seem to be having some pretty good luck with.

One rare deepwater fish we have had success with but haven't found the market for quite yet is the Aurora anthias (Pseudanthias calloura). They're really really cool but they're protogynous so all of our stock has the female coloration.
I’d love to see the aurora anthias come to market. Looks like a beautiful fish. But being deep water, would need a different tank set up probably?

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wakanda wrasse
Clarion Angel
Candy Cane Angel (boylei)
Meyeri butterfly
Ornate butterfly
Tesselated Blenny!!!!!
Regal Angel
Carmine/Blackhead Blenny

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhinecanthus triggers would be very cool to see as captive bred. Given the size of their nest and accompanying territory, I assume this one would be quite tough...
Pretty sure this has been done with some sort of trigger by collecting eggs from a spawn in a wild nest, and rearing the eggs.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had success with black caps in the past the should be to market in the next year or two. Sadly, I don't think any liopropoma is going to be viable for captive-breeding due to their incredibly long larval duration.
On the subjects of basslets has any work gone into the Lipogramma? Does anyone know about their larval duration? I would love some evdies, trilineata, robinsi would be amazing to see in the hobby more frequently.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psychedelic mandarins and ruby red dragons! Outside of that, cherub angels or maybe flameback x flame angel hybrids? I’d love a flame but my tank is too small, a flameish looking fish that’s good for a 50 gallon tank would be the dream!
Biota is already doing Psychedelic mandarins!!! WHOOP, WHOOP! I already ordered my pair.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on a wait list for over a year.....Still no sign
We get these seasonally from Mr. Su in Bali. We got a ton in last year I believe around December-January. These guys do get pretty big and they are jerks to conspecifics so keep that in mind.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back