What temperature do you keep your tank at?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I would test with a fan to see how much bang for your buck you get with it.

Are you running a canopy? If so is the canopy vented with fans.

A chiller is good peace of mind in the event your AC goes down. But as a daily driver, a fan might be sufficient and less expensive to use.
I have a very well ventilated canopy, but do not have any fans. You just hit on my biggest fear... an AC problem. I can’t control a total power failure..., but I can control an AC failure with a chiller.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#@!% no.

My SPS tanks hit 85f or more doing the summer days and they dont care. They run 78F now. They can get warmer than that in a shallow tidal reef on the equator.

Some LPS on the other hand doesn't care for high temp swings because many LPS come from deeper water.
In the long run... if I am being honest... my tank will be SPS Dominant, but I will, have a few clams and some LPS before I get done : )

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving rapidly into an SPS dominant tank. In an effort to get my tank ready for SPS, I spent a few dollars on my lighting system. While I bought plenty of PAR, I seem to have purchased 2 - 3 degrees of heat. I dropped in a pic below showing my temperature swings. My LFS is suggesting to me that I would be better off averaging a 76 F degree temp.

I am wondering if people here agree that is needed. : ) 76 F seems a bit.... low. He wants to sell me a chiller : )
BC30DC53-F8FB-4033-8447-C2415F9E128A.png
I live when people ask this question, and reading all the other members temps gives me chest pains. Now I’m gonna blow your mind when I tell you what my tank temperature is,,, 72,,,,, all year round with no problem and less algae , here’s a old post somebody wrote about my tank

04B83D5E-287A-4779-852E-96B57FE2E021.png

CelestEel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always kept mine at 78. I have experimented in the past with lower temps, because I was told that some of my corals prefer cooler water, but that didn't really work out so well. I slowly brought the temp back up to 78. I think everyone in my tank prefers consistency over any one certain temp. They're used to 78 so 78 it is.

DennistheMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you are keeping will determine your temp. Research the corals you want to keep. I wanted to keep Scollys so I lowered my tank temp to 75 on average, and they love it. If you look at the temp in the ocean at the reef level, I dont think you will see temps on the higher range, and they can seasonally get lower. I think if you are in a range of 74 to 78 you are fine, but consistency is best. The nice part about having your tank set lower is in the event of a summer power failure it takes longer to get to deadly temps.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only recently heated my tanks but I’ve always had tanks over 90g so room temps always worked for me
I’ve never noticed any real difference between 70=80F
I’m sure it matters metabolically, not sure how much .. I got a 150F really never goes above 73F, if somethings wrong or growth is slow, I’m not seeing it

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live when people ask this question, and reading all the other members temps gives me chest pains. Now I’m gonna blow your mind when I tell you what my tank temperature is,,, 72,,,,, all year round with no problem and less algae , here’s a old post somebody wrote about my tank

04B83D5E-287A-4779-852E-96B57FE2E021.png
Uhhhhh.... yeah. Wow!

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in San Antonio. With the AC set at a "normal" temp (~77 during the day, 74 at night), a Tunze AquaWind fan (Apex controlled) on the tank, and a clip on fan in my sump/stand area under the tank. I run 78.5-80.5 deg during the Summer months. A ceiling fan and open room takes care of the humidity. In the winter I remove the clip on, and the Tunze fan doesn't come on; the heaters keep the temp between 78-79 deg. I have not had any temp problems. I don't want to install a chiller because it would make my office (where the aquarium is) warmer, noisier, and I feel it's a significant risk failure point that could lead to a BIG leak. Just one opinion.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chiller on my old 240 for a while. It would heat up half a 2000 sq ft house and still not keep the tank very cool. Was trying to keep my tank at 78 then, but it would fluctuate up to 83.5. I got rid of the chiller add more fans to the canopy and stand and was able to keep Temps 79-82 in the summer.
My current 30 runs 78.3-79.7 averaging 79.1 in the summer with just inexpensive fans to cool it. It runs about one degree cooler in winter.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I land right around 80 in summer and 78 in winter with daily fluctuations of 1-2 degrees depending on where the basement temps are landing. I used to encourage more swings, but this is fine. I feel like as long as you're above 75 and below 88 you're going to be fine with most corals in the hobby. I found out the hard way years ago that temps in the low to mid 70's makes it difficult to fully color up certain SPS so I don't mind higher temps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how this comment will come across...

I recently “partnered up” with the “best” LFS in Houston, Tx... the 4th largest city in the US...

Is it because of Covid? ... they just do not have the things I want!

Should I give up on LFSs and just buy online? ....it’s the only way I can see that can get me the “species” I want...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how this comment will come across...

I recently “partnered up” with the “best” LFS in Houston, Tx... the 4th largest city in the US...

Is it because of Covid? ... they just do not have the things I want!

Should I give up on LFSs and just buy online? ....it’s the only way I can see that can get me the “species” I want...
I put this question on the wrong place... sorry

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back