What the...???

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty interesting. Just learned something today:D

Ftr, I’m not saying that it’s definitely a vermitid, just that the movement doesn’t rule it out. There are soooo many inverts.

If it’s not segmented, can’t be peanut worm. I can’t see segments in the video, but it’s not super clear.

Op, can you tell if that’s a tiny conical shell that’s attached to its rear end?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ftr, I’m not saying that it’s definitely a vermitid, just that the movement doesn’t rule it out. There are soooo many inverts.

If it’s not segmented, can’t be peanut worm. I can’t see segments in the video, but it’s not super clear.

Op, can you tell if that’s a tiny conical shell that’s attached to its rear end?

You may be on to something. All my vermetid's were in their tubes so I couldn't see the actual worm all hanging out like that. Lol.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha!! That's what I said!! (Well, eventually.) I'm still just not too sure.
On a completely different topic, I drove past Moore on my way back from vacation last month. Gotta say that turner turnpike going towards Tulsa is pretty creepy at night, especially in an RV, not sure why. lol

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a completely different topic, I drove past Moore on my way back from vacation last month. Gotta say that turner turnpike going towards Tulsa is pretty creepy at night, especially in an RV, not sure why. lol

Yep, I can see that. Haha.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, I just noticed the sad face you posted. If you like your vermetid worm, you should keep him. Just keep the numbers in check. You should be fine if you don't overfeed your tank.
The sad face was because this creepy thing exists in my tank, lol I don't like it if it's an invasive species. I'm so careful not to introduce anything into the tank I don't want there, I don't know how this one got in, it's just weird....it's also pretty gross looking.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sad face was because this creepy thing exists in my tank, lol I don't like it if it's an invasive species. I'm so careful not to introduce anything into the tank I don't want there, I don't know how this one got in, it's just weird....it's also pretty gross looking.
They are fine. I wouldn’t worry about it.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot too; I’ve never seen any move like that though. That’s why I’m leaning towards some sort of worm.
Have you ever zoomed in on one and videotaped it? That's what I did, it's super zoomed in and close, that's when I saw it moving, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it def looks like a shell, I thought for a second, "could my conch have a baby on it's own?"....I was hoping...lol because the alternative was some wormy unwanted creature.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever zoomed in on one and videotaped it? That's what I did, it's super zoomed in and close, that's when I saw it moving, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed.
Nope, never. I don’t think I really could anyways since I’m still using a 5s ;Sorry still don’t think it is though since their shells are made of calcium but it could be a juvenile like @Bleigh said

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ID threads. Always interesting to see what people have crawling in their tanks... glad that got figured out. I would have got it out then determined if it was going back in. Lol.

Btw... worm barbie is creepy as can be Haha.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I need to do a poll, so many mixed opinions :) -It's bad, it's harmless, get rid of it, ignore it....

So...mostly we're sure this is vermitid and it has to go? I don't want whatever it is, to multiply! I don't even like the one....

My bigger (well not really bigger) question is how did this thing get here? If it's a juvie, it makes no sense...it would have had to of been introduced last year. I don't think the Goby brought it from QT close to 9 months ago or the Tang who lived in QT for 8 months. I mean, wouldn't it be an adult by now if that were the case? The only and most recent thing that I've put in that tank if frozen food....I don't think sea life are part of the cryonics trend though. lol

I know you all say hitchhikers are common etc. I just can't figure out when or how this is possible unless this thing grows extremely slow?

Do I toss it? flush it? ignore it? I may start a poll. lol

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I need to do a poll, so many mixed opinions :) -It's bad, it's harmless, get rid of it, ignore it....

So...mostly we're sure this is vermitid and it has to go? I don't want whatever it is, to multiply! I don't even like the one....

My bigger (well not really bigger) question is how did this thing get here? If it's a juvie, it makes no sense...it would have had to of been introduced last year. I don't think the Goby brought it from QT close to 9 months ago or the Tang who lived in QT for 8 months. I mean, wouldn't it be an adult by now if that were the case? The only and most recent thing that I've put in that tank if frozen food....I don't think sea life are part of the cryonics trend though. lol

I know you all say hitchhikers are common etc. I just can't figure out when or how this is possible unless this thing grows extremely slow?

I would imagine it came in on a shell of one of the critters you said you added. I’ve had one for months and never noticed any other ones.

If it’s a peanut worm (which I doubt, especially due to the shell), it’s totally harmless. If it’s a vermetid snail, the mucous can irritate corals, but you don’t have corals. I super glued mine closed once someone pointed it out to me. I still haven’t seen any others. I’m not sure why they proliferate for some and not others. They are filter feeders. Filter feeding improves water quality. In your case, it’s really subjective as to whether you want to keep it. Nothing wrong with keeping it. It’s totally okay to toss it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you’re worried, flush it. No harm done. I have some weird things in my tank and I just let them be. The ocean is the ocean. That’s my take. But some like a clean system where everything gets quarantined and/or treated before being introduced. If you want to keep a clean tank, you must take extremely proper precautions before introducing anything to your system. A tiny snail could bring in ich, velvet, aiptaisa, you name it. As for QTing inverts like hermits, snails, shrimps - there seems to be no clear answer here.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine it came in on a shell of one of the critters you said you added. I’ve had one for months and never noticed any other ones.

If it’s a peanut worm (which I doubt, especially do to the shell), it’s totally harmless. If it’s a vermetid snail, the mucous can irritate corals, but you don’t have corals. I super glued mine closed once someone pointed it out to me. I still haven’t seen any others. I’m not sure why they proliferate for some and not others. They are filter feeders. Filter feeding improves water quality. In your case, it’s really subjective as to whether you want to keep it. Nothing wrong with keeping it. It’s totally okay to toss it.
+1 Great explanation Bleigh! I had them earlier this year. I crushed some and glued the easier to reach ones. Haven’t seen one since. But the spirorbid worms...... they just seem to be everywhere. I scrape them to death and then they come back as fast as they left.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it’s a peanut worm (which I doubt, especially due to the shell), it’s totally harmless. If it’s a vermetid snail, the mucous can irritate corals, but you don’t have corals. I super glued mine closed once someone pointed it out to me. I still haven’t seen any others. I’m not sure why they proliferate for some and not others. They are filter feeders. Filter feeding improves water quality. In your case, it’s really subjective as to whether you want to keep it. Nothing wrong with keeping it. It’s totally okay to toss it.
;0
Not sure this little thing will do much for my 215g though, I just don't want to end up with 50 of them!
What do you mean you super glued it closed?
is there anything that would eat this thing? Blenny? I have scooter in QT until he gets the all clear :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;0
Not sure this little thing will do much for my 215g though, I just don't want to end up with 50 of them!
What do you mean you super glued it closed?
is there anything that would eat this thing? Blenny? I have scooter in QT until he gets the all clear :)
A bobbit will probably take care of them ;Bucktooth

470F930E-E3A6-4E1D-938F-09F119FC725C.jpeg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some info on how to get rid of them, but what I’ve found make them seem like the spawn of satan.

When they find a place that makes them happy, they’ll attach to it, build a tube and not come out. If you superglue the tube opening, they cant get food and die.

Back