OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say you do not want to add chemical treatments for your algae to your tank but that seems to be just what you are doing.
You say you do not want to add chemical treatments for your algae to your tank but that seems to be just what you are doing.
Nope. Read above. I’m saying I’m going to just pick it off and see how it does. Especially since the consensus is that this is wire algae and not bryopsis.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole and Vibrant. I've used both and had better success with Vibrant killing my turf algae. Fluconazole will work though.
Not effectively no... flucanozole had little effect on GHA and no effect on my macroalgaes.

Dosing a tank with anything for a 2 inch spot of unidentified algae seems ridiculous to me.
Hey guys I'm considering using Flucanozole to help with my Briopsis. Pretty sure that's what it is, looks just like it. I've tried a number of different methods starting with simple pluck and scrub, removing with the vacuum, went on to try some Brightwell products like the Microbacters & some Razor Marine which worked well for Red slime but is having no effect on my current aglae issues. It's just a 20 gallon nano so shouldn't need much. Wondering if you recommend Flucanozole. I've never heard of it untill earlier this evening when I saw a post about it. This won't hurt my Macro species either correct?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm considering using Flucanozole to help with my Briopsis. Pretty sure that's what it is, looks just like it. I've tried a number of different methods starting with simple pluck and scrub, removing with the vacuum, went on to try some Brightwell products like the Microbacters & some Razor Marine which worked well for Red slime but is having no effect on my current aglae issues. It's just a 20 gallon nano so shouldn't need much. Wondering if you recommend Flucanozole. I've never heard of it untill earlier this evening when I saw a post about it. This won't hurt my Macro species either correct?

As far as I am away the only macro that it causes problems with are species of caulerpa. It has no effect on chaeto, gracilaria, ulva, and codium from my experience.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I am away the only macro that it causes problems with are species of caulerpa. It has no effect on chaeto, gracilaria, ulva, and codium from my experience.
Oh okay. I've got Chaeto and Red Dragons Breath so I should be okay. I'm gonna try raising my Magnesium to 1600 first and see if I can't burn it out. Here's the algae though. Is it Briopsis?

IMG_20200818_120840_MP.jpg IMG_20200818_120726.jpg IMG_20200818_120752.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. I've got Chaeto and Red Dragons Breath so I should be okay. I'm gonna try raising my Magnesium to 1600 first and see if I can't burn it out. Here's the algae though. Is it Briopsis?

IMG_20200818_120840_MP.jpg IMG_20200818_120726.jpg IMG_20200818_120752.jpg
It is hard to tell from the pics. The second one kinda looks like it but I usually identify it by how it rips like grass and can have a feathery look. TBH I personally would not raise magnesium high. It can kill your inverts. I think it acts like sedative of sorts for them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It didnt harm my macro although bryopsis came back in that spot about 9 months later. I finally just dipped the rock in a peroxide/tank water solution and put an end to it.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didnt harm my macro although bryopsis came back in that spot about 9 months later. I finally just dipped the rock in a peroxide/tank water solution and put an end to it.
Marine Depot said you should not use Flux RX while running a Fuge. I wish I knew for certain. Had a couple people tell me you being one of them it didn't hurt their Macro but reading other places that it will *blah* lol what to do what to do?!
It's getting bad. Not horrible but it's on a lot of my rocks and spreading. I feel like I should try it though because I dont know how else I'm going to get rid of it. Was thinking about getting my Magnesium up to 1600 but it takes so much Magnesium supplement to do so. I dialed back my refugium light I was running it 11 hrs down to 8 hrs so that should help the slime starting to grow in my Fuge. I had a hard coral RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) today and man was it rapid! I hope to god none of my other SPS' do it. Super bummed. It was a Cookie Monster Acro. Not sure where the hell that came from. Phosphates are super low in my aquarium but it doesn't really matter because all of that algae probably just uses it up right away so they could be high for all I know. Nitrates are about 10ppm. I want to get this solved before it gets out of hand. I have a crap ton of Hermits about 13 in a little 20 gallon aquarium and they can't even keep up. I'm running a UV Sterilizer too, you would think it would help.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot said you should not use Flux RX while running a Fuge. I wish I knew for certain. Had a couple people tell me you being one of them it didn't hurt their Macro but reading other places that it will *blah* lol what to do what to do?!
It's getting bad. Not horrible but it's on a lot of my rocks and spreading. I feel like I should try it though because I dont know how else I'm going to get rid of it. Was thinking about getting my Magnesium up to 1600 but it takes so much Magnesium supplement to do so. I dialed back my refugium light I was running it 11 hrs down to 8 hrs so that should help the slime starting to grow in my Fuge. I had a hard coral RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) today and man was it rapid! I hope to god none of my other SPS' do it. Super bummed. It was a Cookie Monster Acro. Not sure where the hell that came from. Phosphates are super low in my aquarium but it doesn't really matter because all of that algae probably just uses it up right away so they could be high for all I know. Nitrates are about 10ppm. I want to get this solved before it gets out of hand. I have a crap ton of Hermits about 13 in a little 20 gallon aquarium and they can't even keep up.

They say this if you run caulerpa. You can check their video out on youtube. It does NOT hurt the macro you have.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say this if you run caulerpa. You can check their video out on youtube. It does NOT hurt the macro you have.
Okay I'm gonna give it a shot then. I have a UV sterilizer you would think it would help but ya this is getting bad. Thanks for you help and sharing your experience. I may have a few more questions for you once I get it started if you don't mind.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm gonna give it a shot then. I have a UV sterilizer you would think it would help but ya this is getting bad. Thanks for you help and sharing your experience. I may have a few more questions for you once I get it started if you don't mind.

EDIT; I noticed the marine depot does say that some report issues with macros (not specific) and the flux. However like I said, I have done this and my macro was fine. Most reports that I have founnd people are mixed. If you are truly worried, you can put the macro in a bucket with a light. However, if you have any bryopsis with the macro then it will just come back.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting bad. Not horrible but it's on a lot of my rocks and spreading. I feel like I should try it though because I dont know how else I'm going to get rid of it. Was thinking about getting my Magnesium up to 1600 but it takes so much Magnesium supplement to do so. I dialed back my refugium light I was running it 11 hrs down to 8 hrs so that should help the slime starting to grow in my Fuge. I had a hard coral RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) today and man was it rapid! I hope to god none of my other SPS' do it. Super bummed. It was a Cookie Monster Acro. Not sure where the hell that came from. Phosphates are super low in my aquarium but it doesn't really matter because all of that algae probably just uses it up right away so they could be high for all I know. Nitrates are about 10ppm. I want to get this solved before it gets out of hand. I have a crap ton of Hermits about 13 in a little 20 gallon aquarium and they can't even keep up. I'm running a UV Sterilizer too, you would think it would help.

Magnesium doesn't kill it...tech M used to but it wasn't the magnesium...it was a contaminate in it.

UV doesn't effect what's growing on your rocks. It only effects what flows through it.

When mine came back I removed most corals and dipped my rocks that had it in tank water + some peroxide to make it bubble for 10 min.

MVIMG_20200713_220109.thumb.jpg.8761076ad145546d7baaba5b1dcbfe06.jpg

I would try reeflux first only because most people are just not brave enough to do what I did.

Keep an eye on the fuge...if it starts to die then toss the macro and get new macro after the treatment. Keep an eye on your fish...the reason I didn't try a 2nd treatment of reeflux is one person reported losing all their fish but that's not common. Probably effected oxygen.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium doesn't kill it...tech M used to but it wasn't the magnesium...it was a contaminate in it.

UV doesn't effect what's growing on your rocks. It only effects what flows through it.

When mine came back I removed most corals and dipped my rocks that had it in tank water + some peroxide to make it bubble for 10 min.

MVIMG_20200713_220109.thumb.jpg.8761076ad145546d7baaba5b1dcbfe06.jpg

I would try reeflux first only because most people are just not brave enough to do what I did.

Keep an eye on the fuge...if it starts to die then toss the macro and get new macro after the treatment. Keep an eye on your fish...the reason I didn't try a 2nd treatment of reeflux is one person reported losing all their fish but that's not common. Probably effected oxygen.
Lol I don't have the balls to try peroxide either lol and some of my rocks have hard corals like Acros and Digis growing onto them. I don't have any calerupa in my Fuge so hopefully I'll be good but I will definitely keep an eye on it. I'd hate to lose my Chaeto as it has a really nice colony of zooplankton living in it. Not that I couldn't replace it but I dont want to lose any plankton. I just ordered the Reef Flux, I'll have it Friday or Saturday. Not gonna bother with the Magnesium plus it would take so much of it it's not worth it. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back