Where does the sponge talk go down around here?

kala jätkä

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is R2R the place to talk sponge? Is there a better forum or group for those who want to exchange information about sponges? thanks

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is R2R the place to talk sponge? Is there a better forum or group for those who want to exchange information about sponges? thanks
I just acquired two different sponges and know little to nothing about them other than they are filter feeders and very hardy.

OP
OP
kala jätkä

kala jätkä

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found some sponge threads. The first two are actually different threads with the same first post.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic upkeep. Getting another one Saturday. Lettuce sponge. Want them healthy.
Sorry, never heard of a lettuce sponge. Lets start with the basics. They must not touch air. Air gets trapped inside of their body and that area will rot. Most sponges are non-photosynthetic. They also differ like an acro is different from an acan. Some are indestructible while others will melt if you look at them wrong. Tree sponges are towards the harder side. Feeding them is tough. They must have an established tank. Food must be microscopic. They have tiny pores through which food laden water passes. Food gets trapped and water is expelled. I stir up my tank's substrate to get detritus floating. They do well with that. Others like the encrusting and ball sponges can handle larger food like phyto and oyster eggs. If they get covered in detritus, just blow them off with a baster. Light must be on the lower side. Light causes algae to grow on them, smothering them. Flow must be moderate and in their direction. They dislike a strong flow. Ball sponges and encrusting sponges I have found to be the hardiest. If they are happy, they will anchor themselves to the rockwork. If they are unhappy they will rot away. I have found that unless it rots 100 %, it can still come back. My tank is filled with pieces that broke off failing sponges that have come back. Check the threads above in case I missed anything. Post pictures and good luck.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8042F4F2-E0EA-430C-805D-CFAB3F2A8B8B.jpeg
E090A6B4-13B0-4218-AB7F-3817DCED1BB9.jpeg
90D53529-53B3-437F-9F97-97EF0FFE3342.jpeg

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lesson I’ve got the red tree sponge, yellow ball sponge and the third is the orange lettuce sponge I will be getting tomorrow. I think those are the correct names at least that’s what I was told lol

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lesson I’ve got the red tree sponge, yellow ball sponge and the third is the orange lettuce sponge I will be getting tomorrow. I think those are the correct names at least that’s what I was told lol
Ok. Like I said, the tree sponge are pretty hard to keep long term. The yellow ball is pretty much bullet proof. The lettuce is usually called elephant ear or frilly, also very hardy. One of mine started to decay for some reason. There was only a thumbnail size piece left. That little bit fell between the rocks. Six months later, it is now bigger than original. This sponge, when it detects food, will open "mouths" to let in the food and water. Good luck.

OP
OP
kala jätkä

kala jätkä

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back