Where to get captive bred livestock

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers. I’ve been looking to expand the livestock in my tank a bit and wanted to see different suggestions for places to source captive bred fish? My last purchase was a Coral Beauty from Biota. I am a huge fan of Biota and have nothing but good things to say about the experience, but I also want to see what else is out there. Other than an LFS where do you find your captive stock? Thanks in advance for sharing. (PS I’m in Ohio and literally have like 2 LFS I trust around here out of the 4 I’ve been too.)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got nothing but good things to say about Biota too, got the same as you a Coral Beauty.
The thing I like most was buying direct from Biota as I was sure I'd get a disease free fish(which I did). I would like to see Biota repeat some of the stuff that they used to breed and sell more often(some of the damsels and wrasses would be nice). I'd like to be able to buy direct from ORA. I bought a captive breed Orchid Dottyback from a local store and it was disease free until it hit there tank I bought it from(it didn't make it) so I'm not so sure I'd buy from Live Aquaria that offers quite a few captave breed as I not sure about their practice with fish after they receiver them.

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I like Biota and have already ordered from them. Just looking for other options to see if anyone has anything different out there.
I got nothing but good things to say about Biota too, got the same as you a Coral Beauty.
The thing I like most was buying direct from Biota as I was sure I'd get a disease free fish(which I did). I would like to see Biota repeat some of the stuff that they used to breed and sell more often(some of the damsels and wrasses would be nice). I'd like to be able to buy direct from ORA. I bought a captive breed Orchid Dottyback from a local store and it was disease free until it hit there tank I bought it from(it didn't make it) so I'm not so sure I'd buy from Live Aquaria that offers quite a few captave breed as I not sure about their practice with fish after they receiver them.
@tnw50cal im with you. I wish Biota would bring back some of the other stuff. I’ve been looking at their site regularly and I just don’t see too much that I could put in my current setup. I also wish I could get something from ORA, but I’m afraid anything I order would also end up in LFS water and end up being unhealthy when I pick it up. I read a few post about LA and I’m not feeling like rolling the dice. Especially after you factor in shipping costs! How’s your CB doin?

U

User1

View Badges
BIOTA has a online side now.

ORA also has a bit. I do not believe they have a online public facing side. Live aquaria & divers den sells them although probably more on the live aquaria side. As noted above Pacific East Aquaculture sells only captive raised/bred fish which come from both BIOTA and ORA. I own a BIOTA yellow assessor and it is a great fish. I also bought a BIOTA matted filefish. Great fish. Sadly he went after my Duncan coral, then Zoas, then a new Frogspawn that I just introduced that was small. Tore off flesh to the skeleton so I traded it in to the LFS so the frogspawn can return which it is. Will pick up another later :) Both of those are from Pacific East Aquaculture. Good place to shop.

In any case those are the two players that I'm aware of for captive raise/bred. LFS and other stores will buy from them and sell to you (pac east for example). Not the biggest selection but there are some hidden gems in there that will provide a splash of speed and color.

Hope this helps - all the best.

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Matt any mentioned, I have purchased ORA twice from liveaquaria and each time they shipped directly from ORA. each time it was 10 and 12 fish so I don’t know if that was a factor. Extremely nice fish. Those from the first order have been with me since April 2017 and the only one I lost went carpet surfing after a year.

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Matt any mentioned, I have purchased ORA twice from liveaquaria and each time they shipped directly from ORA. each time it was 10 and 12 fish so I don’t know if that was a factor. Extremely nice fish. Those from the first order have been with me since April 2017 and the only one I lost went carpet surfing after a year.
Thanks for the share. Never good when they carpet surf. Sorry to hear that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back