Which Dwarf Angelfish should i go for?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge Joculator
In a 40?… those angels are the size of smaller Genicanthus angels. I’d say 75 bare minimum but a 90 would be better - Average size for most small Genicanthus (The swallowtails - Both semifasciatus and melanospilos, bellus, Lamarcks ect…)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;);););)Paracentropyge boylei, the Peppermint Angelfish.;);););)
20235728980_a661bed993_b.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Angel we all love but is never in our grasp. Certainly a beauty but I wonder if what we see in pictures is amplified and they aren’t quite so vibrant in person.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a specimen that’s been alive in Japan for over a decade, not sure if it’s still alive but last time Reef Builders checked on it, it was like 14 years old in captivity already. It was kept in a species tank at a pretty low temperature. Goes to show the amount of deepwater species that make their way to Japan compared to the West (and the rest of the world), and the lengths to which some hobbyists there go when it comes to keeping these fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a specimen that’s been alive in Japan for over a decade, not sure if it’s still alive but last time Reef Builders checked on it, it was like 14 years old in captivity already. It was kept in a species tank at a pretty low temperature. Goes to show the amount of deepwater species that make their way to Japan compared to the West (and the rest of the world), and the lengths to which some hobbyists there go when it comes to keeping these fish.
@Zionas
The picture above is the picture of this very angel. Captured in 2001 and that picture was taken in 2015, about 15 years in captivity.
Here is the article from Reef Builders about this beautiful angel

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re absolutely right! I live in Japan now and I can’t get any species of dwarf angel and for pretty cheap too, except for the Flame Angel. The Flame Angel is like $140 here.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the hobby like in Japan? I see some Japanese guys with amazing collections of rare deepwater fish!

Stuff never or seldom seen in the West or even the rest of Asia. My impression is that Japanese reefers on average are far less into Tangs than we are, but have amazing collections of Angels, Butterflies, Basslets, Wrasses, Anthias, and sometimes other stuff like Gobies and rare Damsels.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the hobby like in Japan? I see some Japanese guys with amazing collections of rare deepwater fish!

Stuff never or seldom seen in the West or even the rest of Asia. My impression is that Japanese reefers on average are far less into Tangs than we are, but have amazing collections of Angels, Butterflies, Basslets, Wrasses, Anthias, and sometimes other stuff like Gobies and rare Damsels.
Actually, the marine hobby is not as popular here, as it is in other countries. I was pretty shocked when I discovered that. The freshwater hobby is more popular. From what I’ve seen, the marine hobby here in mainly about coral, acropora to be exact. I’m lucky to be living very close to a guy whom is the main distributor of coral in Japan. As for fish, you can pretty much get any kind of fish here, some you see more often than others, but I’m not sure which one is the most popular.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting but at the same time, a little discouraging. A lot of equipment, and rare collections of fish come from Japan. It’s a bit disheartening to hear that the hobby isn’t as popular as I thought it would be. I spent lots of time drooling over the tanks of some Japanese hobbyists. I’m a fish over coral guy and seeing all the rare species in their possession was great. I’m not big on Acropora either, it’s fairly demanding to take care of and I like the more “flowing” stuff when it comes to corals. However, from my perspective it’s hard to imagine the hobby where fish aren’t the main focus. That’s my perspective, but I’m all about the fish. Someone could have an awesome collection of Acros, but if I don’t like their fish choices? That deducts a lot of marks in my view lol.
My favorite are angels, which I don’t believe any are 100% “reef safe” (but the same could be said about other groups), and I’d rather choose corals revolving around my fish choices rather than the other way around. Maybe I’m too much of a fish fanatic lol.
I would love for you to give me a general idea of which fish you see more than others in Japanese LFS. I’m from a part of the world close to Japan (originally Chinese to be precise) and the general view among Chinese hobbyists is a “three tier” progression where one starts with softies, then “graduates” onto LPS, and then “graduates” onto SPS including Acros. I’m not a big fan of this approach TBH.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting but at the same time, a little discouraging. A lot of equipment, and rare collections of fish come from Japan. It’s a bit disheartening to hear that the hobby isn’t as popular as I thought it would be. I spent lots of time drooling over the tanks of some Japanese hobbyists. I’m a fish over coral guy and seeing all the rare species in their possession was great. I’m not big on Acropora either, it’s fairly demanding to take care of and I like the more “flowing” stuff when it comes to corals. However, from my perspective it’s hard to imagine the hobby where fish aren’t the main focus. That’s my perspective, but I’m all about the fish. Someone could have an awesome collection of Acros, but if I don’t like their fish choices? That deducts a lot of marks in my view lol.
My favorite are angels, which I don’t believe any are 100% “reef safe” (but the same could be said about other groups), and I’d rather choose corals revolving around my fish choices rather than the other way around. Maybe I’m too much of a fish fanatic lol.
I would love for you to give me a general idea of which fish you see more than others in Japanese LFS. I’m from a part of the world close to Japan (originally Chinese to be precise) and the general view among Chinese hobbyists is a “three tier” progression where one starts with softies, then “graduates” onto LPS, and then “graduates” onto SPS including Acros. I’m not a big fan of this approach TBH.
I agree. I’m from the US and the hobby is super popular there. I was never into acropora until I started to try it…now that I’m successful with it, I love it. Unfortunately, with certain Acro and LPS, keeping some of the most beautiful fish is impossible. I love the different kinds of Butterfly’s, especially the kinds you can get here, but you know their reputation when it comes to coral.

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on Eibli being oft overlooked, and the beauty of their markings. Got mine just over a year ago.... as for reef safe, well sort of lol. I have caught it nipping a few times at Kenya Tree ( some would say this is good lol), but no real damage. I also have a Coral Beauty 6 years which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. 40 gallon of OP might still be a bit small though, probably right on the minimum edge of size suggestions... anyway here is mine with the CB in second shot.
20220109_122749.jpg
20220109_122812.jpg
In the same tank? How large is your tank?0

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same tank? How large is the tank?
My tank is 171 gallons with the DT being 131. They pretty much leave each other alone.

i actually had the coral beauty in first for about 1-1/2 years. I added a bit of rock and the Flame Angel with a yellow tang & (2) bimaculatus anthias.

I think because of adding 4 fish in at that time it kept him from picking on the Flame Angel. They have both been together now for about 1-1/2 years.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back