White poo. Is it parasites?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first 2 clowns a week ago.
I noticed last night one, has long white poo (milk white, not transparent).
Is this a sign of parasites?
Hard to make fish and poo not move, but you can see length on top clown:
20210124_214000.jpg

Both fish are aktive, and eating well.

If treatment is needed; Praziquentel 5% is the only thing I can get within a day or two.
Since only vets can administer medicin for animals, selling drugs to animals, incl. fish, is illegal here, and international shipment can easily take a werk or 2.
Somehow parasite medicin for ponds is legal, so I can get that.

Recomendations?

Edit: Hit the wrong section. Should have been in disease section...

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it could be parasites, but there are also other causes. In general, the parasites that cause this though are not helped by praziquantel. 5% praziquantel will have 95% binder in it, that is used for as an oral medication for dogs and cats. I've never tried using that in water before.

Here is an article I work that has some information about different types of mucus (the article itself is on the right side of the page as a PDF download).

Jay

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it could be parasites, but there are also other causes. In general, the parasites that cause this though are not helped by praziquantel. 5% praziquantel will have 95% binder in it, that is used for as an oral medication for dogs and cats. I've never tried using that in water before.

Here is an article I work that has some information about different types of mucus (the article itself is on the right side of the page as a PDF download).

Jay
Thanks for the info.
It could be change in diet aswell. Think I'll hold on with meds, and just keep an eye on it.

I hate these laws here. Medicating fish is often far more expensive than buying a new one, plus the waiting time for the meds to arrive doesn't help.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. I didn't do anything and clown doesn't have white stringy poo anymore.
20210201_134029.jpg

Seems it was simply change of diet, stress or something.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back