Wow, you guys tried to go too far with this discussion.
The reason why other objects are brought up is because it's a good reference on how something that seems worthless, or not worth much, can be worth a lot if someone nis willing to pay for it.
Ok, well than tell me this…… If I post up that I paid $1000 for a Sony PS3 that is neon green(sold to me as a RARE, LE), what is your first honest thought……
Is it:
"Wow, that is the coolest thing in the world!!! I WANT ONE!!!! I WILL HAVE ONE TOO!!!!"
Or is it something along the line of:
"$1000? Wow what an idiot!!" Or "Wow, he’s not to smart with his money!!" If you are a kinder/gentler person. :)
We can talk about how diamonds are great to buy or not great to buy and discuss why that market is so unique--we could do the same for cars.
The point that was made was: supply and demand. Every object in life has supply and demand and that's why we pay what we do. If nobody wanted these coral then the price would drop....maybe YOU don't buy them or see the point in spending a lot of money, but someone must because the high prices still exist.
I don’t buy supply vs demand as a reason for these prices. There isn’t one reason these sellers can’t put a far more reasonable price on things besides greed. How is it LFS have existed (and will continue to exist) for years without ever selling a $4-500 or $1000 booger sized coral??
I don’t think demand would dwindle or die on a new coral simply because of a reasonable starting price. Do you?
Are you familiar with term FAIR MARKET VALUE? Or does that simply not apply to corals?
Supply vs Demand seems to only work, with corals, in keeping the coral in more of a correct value after it has been around for awhile (few months) That price adjustment is the Supply vs Demand you speak of. What about the initial price?
Do you honestly trust that these initial prices that are being set by auctions are 100% legit? And why is that a good way of determining value? Pitting one reefer against another. Who really wins there?
Look what we have created!! All these nice new pieces used to be the ones that you could walk into a LFS and find a gem at a decent price. Now they are swooped up as soon as they come in by the cherry pickers, chopped up, have pictures taken under 30k leds, and hit with a three-four figure price tag. I’m as guilty as the next guy of paying too much for a piece of coral, I’m not a saint by any means, but the point here is we can stop it.
The voices seem to be gathering in numbers and are getting louder. I love seeing threads like this posted quite honestly. NEVER GETS OLD!