Why does no one here use Hydor powerhead?

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did research on the powerhead I thought Hydor Koralia was the most popular, until I looked it up on this forum - all I saw was Jebao, Vortechs,... So Hydor is not good at all? I'm curious.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a AC powerhead they are good. The other powerheads you mentioned are all DC controllable powerheads. A AC powerhead is either on 100% or off 100% and they will make a clicking noise when powered on or off where as a DC one you can ramp up or down the speed to change the flow just as the ocean does.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning

I have 2 Koralia next gen 3 and a jbj wavemaker. I also have an mp40. I think the hydor are great for the price point. My wavemaker is set to switch pumps every 5 min. Mine never click or make any noise. I like the way they mount making adjusting directions easy. They make a random flow well, not like me 40 but good. The downside is the power adjustment isn’t there. You need to get the right power or it will be too weak or too strong for the tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't like any powerhead with those open grills and exposed propellers. If you keep a tank long enough they all get encased with growth that you have to chop out. Eventually, you can't clean them out and they croak.
I have 4 or 5 of these some of them running over 35 years and there is no maintenance. They are also cheap and not made in China.
Just my opinion.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two and both of them developed shorts and dumped voltage into my tanks. It was maybe ~16v. When the wave maker would kick the powerheads on and off everyone got a little jolt. For the record, wizzing on an electric fence when I was about 18 was a far more shocking experience. They wont get anymore of my money regardless. Just my experience!

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did research on the powerhead I thought Hydor Koralia was the most popular, until I looked it up on this forum - all I saw was Jebao, Vortechs,... So Hydor is not good at all? I'm curious.

I see them more in Nano tanks. Bigger systems will have the vortechs and remote controlled system. I used to use Hydor Koralia all the time but I've switched to Sicce Voyager powerheads. I think those are a bit sturdier and better built than hydor but nothing wrong with hydor. They're great powerheads at a great price.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two and both of them developed shorts and dumped voltage into my tanks. It was maybe ~16v. When the wave maker would kick the powerheads on and off everyone got a little jolt. For the record, wizzing on an electric fence when I was about 18 was a far more shocking experience. They wont get anymore of my money regardless. Just my experience!

I had a similar experience when I was first starting out. I used them to mix my salt, I went throw quite a few of them but decided to dump the brand completely.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My impression is that it's sort of the budget option, while still being name brand. I use a nano 425 in my 10 gallon, but I swear by my Tunze 6045 in my larger tank.

Aquanautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a problem with hydor the brand, but I do have a problem with the koralia nano line. They are advertised with much, much more flow than they actually produce. I've had both the 425 and the one below it is power and they were the weakest and least close to advertised I have ever used.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 in my tank until a couple of months ago. Two were at least 10 years old. Only issue was the annoying clicking sound when they started up. Replaced them only because I wanted more flow.

Nordiclund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a AC powerhead they are good. The other powerheads you mentioned are all DC controllable powerheads. A AC powerhead is either on 100% or off 100% and they will make a clicking noise when powered on or off where as a DC one you can ramp up or down the speed to change the flow just as the ocean does.
I have the Gen 3 2450's... They do NOT click when the wave controller is actuating them. Nor do they click when you directly plug them in. It's part of the new design. Excellent pumps for the price.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually the only powerheads I have purchased that haven't caused me issues. I ran them in my last tank for about 2 years....they are now used in my saltwater mixing bin and as temporary replacements in my DT when my more expensive powerheads die lol.

Wolverine47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have multiple koralia powerheads on a 75 gallon softie tank and they definitely get the job done for a relatively cheap AC pump. No bells and whistles and easy to clean. Have had them running currently for about 4 years. Clean them couple times a year.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 in my 120DT to supplement the two 250 gyres - 2 x 1500gph and one 850gph. I think they are great for the price, and last quite a long time if properly cared for.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me of them running over 35 years and the
I inherited two of these recently. I put a sponge filter on one and the other is my return pump for an AIO. What exactly did you attach to the inlet there? I need to tear into one during my next maintenance day as I have heard the original impeller shaft was metal... Any confirmation on that?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 8, all on timers, random generation, years in use......love em.....

6CD613FB-5EED-44D2-9F06-7FB236E0A8F4.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back