Why I hate quarantine...

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a hit or miss on qt because if the fish aren't sick and you put them into a smaller tank for a while with no hiding places or much room to swim and then you net them, move them again? I think that's a lot more stress along wit adding copper and such or the tank transfer method. It's really a hit or miss, if the fish look healthy then I think you should add them to the display tank. If they are eating great and swimming great then I would see no reason to qt and stress them out

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk about QT tanks is awesome, very informative and helpful. My question (as I myself don't have a qt, but want to get one before I stock my new tank) is what is needed/required vs. what is wanted/optional for a qt setup? I stocked my first tank with out QT, I went for those fish who were in the lfs for a while with the philosophy that they must be healthy if they are still alive after 2-3wks and I always buy from the same guy, he has earned that trust because he has been brutally honest with me, not many lfs's will do that. He is all about earning repeat business by honesty and education rather than bottom line and profit. I check all my levels every 5 days and am constantly doing visuals. Yes...Im even one of those folks who has names for all my fish! I have an orangeshoulder tang, coral beauty, flame angel, 3 blue chromis and two O. Clowns....in my first tank, all super happy and healthy and are all original to the tank. I will be moving my tang to my new (larger) tank in about a month as he has outgrown his current tank. Should he be QT'd before I introduce to the new tank? Thanks so much!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning a friend of mine called me because he is getting married and is moving away. He gave me his fish, some rocks, corals and a bunch of hermit crabs. I just dumped it all in my reef. Am I bad? :rolleyes:

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a number of lfs around my area, only 2 of them is open that they have ich in their system. One if them advised me not to grab a fish on one of their system for they are treating all fish in that system with ich. The other lfs said all fish stores have ich for they can't afford a dedicated qt system that can hold livestock for 6-8weeks at a time and they will lose money if they do for they can't have the turnover of livestock yo generate profit so he advices anyone who ask to have a dedicated qt system.
One lfs I asked if they have ich in their system straight up told me they don't for they medicate their system lol.
I too have suffered with marine velvet and wiped out my system. I am starting over again and have put up 2 30g qt system

mmnich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish can live quite well with ich when not too stressed. Others, not so much. So you may put a fish with ich and no symptoms in a tank with other fish that are not so tolerant and bam! You got a sick tank. Quarantine!

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk about QT tanks is awesome, very informative and helpful. My question (as I myself don't have a qt, but want to get one before I stock my new tank) is what is needed/required vs. what is wanted/optional for a qt setup? I stocked my first tank with out QT, I went for those fish who were in the lfs for a while with the philosophy that they must be healthy if they are still alive after 2-3wks and I always buy from the same guy, he has earned that trust because he has been brutally honest with me, not many lfs's will do that. He is all about earning repeat business by honesty and education rather than bottom line and profit. I check all my levels every 5 days and am constantly doing visuals. Yes...Im even one of those folks who has names for all my fish! I have an orangeshoulder tang, coral beauty, flame angel, 3 blue chromis and two O. Clowns....in my first tank, all super happy and healthy and are all original to the tank. I will be moving my tang to my new (larger) tank in about a month as he has outgrown his current tank. Should he be QT'd before I introduce to the new tank? Thanks so much!

My QT is a 20 gallon tank I bought at petco's dollar a gallon sale. It is bare bottomed. I have a HOB filter and skimmer, a couple power heads and a cheap chinese LED on it. Inside I have some PVC pipe and a plastic castle (my granddaughters choice). I keep it up all the time but probably won't once my DT is fully stocked. It sits in my living room where I can see any unusual behavior or appearance. It is bare minimum but does the job.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always thought QT was not necessary and I could get away without doing it. Boy was I wrong. I was never worried about getting ich because I've heard that with good care the fish can fight it off. (even though it still is in your tank) Well I ended up getting flukes in my tank and went from something around 10 fish down to 5 before I realized what I had got. Treated with prazi in tank for a couple weeks and flukes were gone. I was happy to save half. Week later my tang starts looking weird. A couple days later the symptoms appear to be intestinal parasites. Treat with seachem metroplex but couldn't save the tang. Now I went from a fully stocked tank down to four fish all cause I didn't QT. I actually have three now but I think the one that died was a freak incident because there were no symptoms and he ate all the way until his death. I am buying a 20 gallon long today to get ready to start QT for some new fish. I will always QT from now on. Learned my lesson and it was horrible.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never QT. Never lost any fish due to disease. Never lost a coral or invert.
The only pest that has stowed away was a small aiptasia. Wasnt apparent when i first got it. Perhaps had i QT, i would have seen in come out before adding to display. So, i suppose the "consequence" spectrum is wide, and varies.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only pest that has stowed away was a small aiptasia. Wasnt apparent when i first got it. Perhaps had i QT, i would have seen in come out before adding to display. So, i suppose the "consequence" spectrum is wide, and varies.
It's ultimately Russian Roulette everytime. You might continue to get lucky, but if you read my story, you know I was lucky too...until I wasn't. I won't risk it again.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's what I thought too. My old 65 gallon never had any problems without QT. My biocube no problems without QT. My 93 fine for almost the whole time except when I added a firefish as the last fish. I went through probably 20 fish before I ran out of luck and it is horrible once it happens.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this back up for those who may not know my story.

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is a 20 gallon tank I bought at petco's dollar a gallon sale. It is bare bottomed. I have a HOB filter and skimmer, a couple power heads and a cheap chinese LED on it. Inside I have some PVC pipe and a plastic castle (my granddaughters choice). I keep it up all the time but probably won't once my DT is fully stocked. It sits in my living room where I can see any unusual behavior or appearance. It is bare minimum but does the job.
Thank you Lynn52!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back