Wildlife near you :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared this in another conversation but maybe it fits here. Living on the SW coast of Florida, we are a turtle nesting area. The nests are buried in the sand at the top of the beach and they hatch at night.

A couple of years ago, we befriended one of the Turtle Watchers and she let us know the projected hatch day of a particular nest. So we hiked to the beach to wait. At around 1am, we got lucky. It was one of the most incredible "nature" things I have ever witnessed. Literally 100+ hatchlings making their way across the beach to the water line.

Lights are a no-no so the picture is terrible, but you'll get the idea. The second picture is of the Turtle Watcher who comes the next morning to dig up the rest of the nest as part of their research. As you can see, they don't all hatch.

We are less than a mile from the beach, so technically this is wildlife near me...lol.

IMG_1813.PNG

IMG_1815.JPG

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the pics on this thread! I have a river behind my house so I get all the normal ducks and geese, plus lots of different species of fish. I think it holds something like 130 different fish species, which is pretty cool. Have a very, very healthy deer herd around the house. Here are some that I watch almost every evening:

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6356 2.jpg

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a long-tailed weasel visit this morning. He's easy to spot right now because the snow has melted but his fur hasn't changed to brown yet. They are white in the winter and brown in the summer. We also have a family of 4 foxes that live behind our house and a herd of about 11 mule deer including one large 5 point buck. I look for his sheds but I can never find them!!

Long-Tailed Weasel.jpg

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a long-tailed weasel visit this morning. He's easy to spot right now because the snow has melted but his fur hasn't changed to brown yet. They are white in the winter and brown in the summer. We also have a family of 4 foxes that live behind our house and a herd of about 11 mule deer including one large 5 point buck. I look for his sheds but I can never find them!!

Long-Tailed Weasel.jpg
Great to get a shot of those quick little buggers.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite targets. In the early morning and with the right light you can catch their breath as they sing. Just a bit showing yesterday, but lots of chances to get the shot now that spring has the RWBB males geared up.

20190311_Huntley Meadows_090041_5001441.jpg

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite targets. In the early morning and with the right light you can catch their breath as they sing. Just a bit showing yesterday, but lots of chances to get the shot now that spring has the RWBB males geared up.

20190311_Huntley Meadows_090041_5001441.jpg

It’s really entertaining to watch the RWBBs attack the sand hill cranes near where I live.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
510c6b84d50bf22546bb1a06462236ae.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back