0   0   0
c18ed24f21554c621d5ad2d6ebc9aef3.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish I had a picture; Last weekend I was fishing on a sand bar about 100ft from shore under a bridge (Fire Island) at sunrise when about 10ft in front of me a seal popped up face to face. Not sure who was more surprised. About a 10 seconds later my heart started to beat again and I breathed.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We found these yesterday on my wife's parsley. We originally assumed they were Monarch's, but the Google machine is telling us they are actually Black Swallowtail Butterflies - or shall I say they will be butterflies.

20190526_102310.jpg

20190526_102322.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was in my Man Cave which is on the ground level and I heard people calling my name. I went outside and there was this big turtle walking across the driveway. I said Wow, that's the biggest box turtle I ever saw. Then I got closer and saw that it was a snapping turtle which normally stay in the water. The thing was about two feet long.

I ran after him (yes, at my age it's not even easy to run as fast as a water turtle) and I grabbed his tail. I used to keep those turtles and know you can only grab them by their tail, if you want to keep your fingers.

He was probably 10lbs and I carried him to a small pond near here but I had to hold him far from my leg because he kept trying to eat it.

That pond is only about 6" deep and dries up if it doesn't rain for a week so I am sure he will be back. I just hope he doesn't make it to my bed. :eek:

I couldn't get a picture because it just wasn't prudent at the time. :rolleyes:

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was in my Man Cave which is on the ground level and I heard people calling my name. I went outside and there was this big turtle walking across the driveway. I said Wow, that's the biggest box turtle I ever saw. Then I got closer and saw that it was a snapping turtle which normally stay in the water. The thing was about two feet long.

I ran after him (yes, at my age it's not even easy to run as fast as a water turtle) and I grabbed his tail. I used to keep those turtles and know you can only grab them by their tail, if you want to keep your fingers.

He was probably 10lbs and I carried him to a small pond near here but I had to hold him far from my leg because he kept trying to eat it.

That pond is only about 6" deep and dries up if it doesn't rain for a week so I am sure he will be back. I just hope he doesn't make it to my bed. :eek:

I couldn't get a picture because it just wasn't prudent at the time. :rolleyes:

Probably was a "she" and up out of water to find a place to lay eggs. Or perhaps just finished laying eggs.
Grabbing a tail doesn't necessarily keep the snapper from turning on you and they can lunge forward a pretty good distance.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again from the small park near my home. I am there with my camera a lot.
American Kingbird (a Flycatcher) with a Dragonfly.

20190619_Huntley Meadows_093803_6889.jpg

An incredible shot as usual Stanley.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2469786E-04C6-473F-914B-510695778105.jpeg Caught this little guy trying to figure out the hammock. He didn’t like me watching, so all I’ve got is him walking away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back